PUBLIC SAFETY ANNOUNCEMENT: Do not try to register a non-USDM diesel in CA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a warning, and is based on my own experiences as well as conversations with CARB, CA DMV, CA BAR, the EPA, several JDM importers, and a reading of sections 44202 and 44210 of the California Health and Safety Code. I am not a lawyer.

The out-of-state title exemption apparently no longer exists. Even if you have a valid out-of-state title, and even if the title is over a year old, unless you provide the Toyota Letter (impossible) or a Certificate of Conformity for your vehicle from the EPA (according to the EPA rep I spoke with they "don't issue those for non-U.S. vehicles") the DMV will "suspense" your application for title and send it to Sacramento, where it will be be flagged for CARB compliance. Once it is flagged your VIN remains in their system.

The CA DMV's website listed the one-year out-of-state title exemption for non-USDM vehicles as of 8-30-17. Today, if you go to their page, the exemption has been removed. Do not try to register a non-USDM diesel in CA unless A) it is a 1979 model year or older, with the original motor with no modifications AT ALL, or B) you have the time (several months) and financial resources ($8k-$10k) to spend in order to bring it into CARB compliance. Attempting to register your rig under the one-year exemption will very likely not work. To those who have had luck getting their rigs reg'd and titled, I salute you.

To anyone from Cal DMV or CARB who reads this, your regulations governing the registration and titling of non-USDM vehicles are deeply and critically flawed, and have absolutely nothing to do with environmental protection. The notion that my JDM 2.4L turbo-diesel with EGR is more harmful than a '64 Imperial or '66 Chevelle or Model T or any other CARB-exempt 9-mpg boat with no emissions controls is pure, unadulterated garbage, and from a holistic standpoint is demonstrably false.

Two words:

South Dakota

My luck I would get pulled over and asked why I have a CA driver's license and not one from South Dakota. Luckily I don't live in CA and in a non emissions area of AZ. While I have no plans to move to CA does make me wonder if I plan a diesel to not wait to long before AZ follows CA. Brought in legally now would probably be grandfathered in.

You would probably be gtandfathered in as you mentioned.

Think of it this way. Some people own homes in multiple states, they may leave a car at their second residence. One day they may decide to drive it to the other home in CA. CA can not force you to re register your car if you have another physical residence out of state that the vehicle is registered in. South Dakota companies will provide a physical address not a PO box, an SD does not require you reside or have a SD license. These companies cater to full time RVers who can not register their rv to a PO box and need a place that can forward their mail on the go.

I bought my fj40 from a nice lady who resided in AZ, no smog required....jealous!

You would probably be gtandfathered in as you mentioned.

Think of it this way. Some people own homes in multiple states, they may leave a car at their second residence. One day they may decide to drive it to the other home in CA. CA can not force you to re register your car if you have another physical residence out of state that the vehicle is registered in. South Dakota companies will provide a physical address not a PO box, an SD does not require you reside or have a SD license. These companies cater to full time RVers who can not register their rv to a PO box and need a place that can forward their mail on the go.

I bought my fj40 from a nice lady who resided in AZ, no smog required....jealous!

Correct, we have a home and a cabin (with mail service) in WY and a house here in CA. 2 of our cars have CA registration and 4 have WY. Andrea got pulled over with CA plates and a WY drivers license and it was a non-issue.

I got a CHP officer to do a courtesy inspection on two cruisers for me and he said he sees dual residence daily. He said he knows most RV/retiree only have a PMB at a UPS store, etc... He said as long as there isn't anything in the database on the person and the registration is up to date, they (Redding area) don't dig further. Write the ticket and roll.

J

Is there a post about purchasing a gas powered South American vehicle with a US valid title and the likelihood of passing emissions? We live in Denver which can be tougher than California for post 1976 Cruisers. My guess is that S American vehicles not only are missing heaters and AC but probably also missing all US emissions components? It would likely be a similar nightmare to correct.

Is there a post about purchasing a gas powered South American vehicle with a US valid title and the likelihood of passing emissions? We live in Denver which can be tougher than California for post 1976 Cruisers. My guess is that S American vehicles not only are missing heaters and AC but probably also missing all US emissions components? It would likely be a similar nightmare to correct.

I would imagine an imported vehicle would take a different path to registration. Good question though.

My gasser cruiser from Colombia is missing the heater (has A/C though)and basically has no emissions equipment. Fortunately I live in a city where emissions is not tested. If that happens I would be worried too but it is my understanding that is how it came from the factory for that market.

Pretty sure gas has to be 1967 or earlier to be exempt, Diesel is 1979 or earlier. You are correct that most Central and South American cruisers are no AC, no Heat, but from an AC standpoint, an underdash unit can be added in country prior to export. We primarily source from Costa Rica and also Bandeirantes from Brazil and that hasnt been a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom