PTO Winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello I have a 74 with a factory pto winch. Have a few questions about filling the T-case and the winch as well. Does anyone have access to a manual? 1) do you fill the pto with the same fill hole as the t-case? 2) if you look at the photo of the winch there is a drain on the bottom (hard to see) a plug half way up the winch and one higher up on the right hand side. Any suggestions would help.....

6HwjOmzQR1+7Jr7dFsZF4Q.jpg

aOVKWZo9QJa+AAI5%HSn%A.jpg

YES ,

- The PTO gear box & the transfer-case share the same Gear Lubricant

- The PTO has a drain plug because it has its own Sump or Well for the Gears to get saturated or coated during rotation

- The PTO gets filled Via the Transfer-Case filler plug , take note it's higher then the PTO fill wise

That what i thought but I just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing a fill hole or something.... Thanks for the help! Any thoughts on the winch....

That what i thought but I just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing a fill hole or something.... Thanks for the help! Any thoughts on the winch....

The middle plug is your fill plug , bottom drain

DSCN7895.JPG
DSCN7896.JPG
DSCN7897.JPG

I have a PTO but John (Living in the Past) is the expert on the PTO and the 40. He will likely chime in.

doesn't look like the PTO is working very well with the headers.

t case oil without pto 1.8 qts with pto 2.2 qts .front winch .6 us qt sae 90 api gl4

Yes, it’ll be a direct bolt on to my 7/74 cruiser ;)

Thanks for offering.:flipoff2: (Official welcome salute) Good to see a new face.

X2... it looks like your exhaust will need to be reworked.

Plenty of info already here. One thing I do is after filling the T case I lift the right side of the vehicle so that 100% sure the PTO is full. Then lower and check to be sure the T case is still full. On the winch with the fill plug out can can use the upper plug to fill the winch. Just like the T case when oil runs out the fill hole you know it's full.

Many years ago ran a Man-A-Fre header in my 68. Only mod required was grinding a little on the outlet flange. That was when I still had a three speed. By the time I installed the four speed had gone back to stock exhaust manifold and one barrel carburetor. Low end torque for off-road won out over high speed for the highway. That and the poor oiling system in the F145/tractor engine.

All the info is great, thanks so much. I tryed it last Friday and it worked in both directions! Next question should I do wire or rope? I would like to do rope but I’m niot sure how long to get it? Any thoughts?

unless you change to a hawse fairlead, you need wire rope.
the synthetic doesn't like the roller setup.

To be correct (if you care) I would do wire rope. I never unspooled mine to see how much rope it takes but maybe John (LITP) knows. Also, you can compare your spool size with modern counterparts to give you an idea.

can you post a pic of the clearance of the driveshaft with the exhaust?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom