PTO Winch and 4WD Operation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1970 FJ40 with 3 speed on the column. I have attached a picture showing 3 items. I am trying to figure out how to engage the 4wd and how to work the winch. Could someone enlighten me on both and the correct sequence?
fullsizeoutput_23e4.jpeg

B-FD knob will shift 2wd to 4wd
A- will shift H-N-L
C- is the PTO lever winch out -N- winch in

The A lever only pulls full-forward, how do I know the 3 positions? What is the default position (where it is now)?

Does the winch lever only go back and forth because it has a locking type bracket to the right of it.

IIRCC A lever is in H- 1 notch out will be N -1 more notch out will be L
PTO trap door holds the lever in N position

IIRCC A lever is in H- 1 notch out will be N -1 more notch out will be L
PTO trap door holds the lever in N position

Does appear the PTO lever will be locked in place by the hinge lock. Looks like it needs some adjustment. The shaft coming off the transmission cover is made to hold two levers. Could either be in the outer position of the cotter pin used to separate the two levers is missing allow the lever to slide to far away. Or hinge mounted to far towards the center on the transmission tunnel.

Do i put A lever into Neutral for the winch to operate? I know I have to put vehicle in gear to make winch operate without the transmission engaging.

It is my understanding (warning! 😃) that the winch can operate with the transmission in gear and the transfer case in gear (so vehicle will be moving) hence the purpose of the pto trap door to keep the pto engagement in the transfer case in neutral. This is so the operator has to be fully aware that he/she is engaging the pto with the rig under its own power as well. FYI the transmission is before the transfer case in the driveline. Clutch therefore is still a means to disengage all power functionality - driveline and pto - from running engine.

Under normal operation with the rig stationary and the winch just pulling transfer case is in neutral - A lever - and transmission is in gear - usually 1st - and parking brake is set (and functional). Chocked wheels is also smart (early rigs with factory pto had a chock in the tool box IIRC). There are pto controls at the pto itself (In - N ) with a mechanical lever. N is for pulling the cable out. Make sure it freely operates first, it can get very stiff over time sitting out in weather.

Always use a chain in the connection. That way a snapped cable becomes much less of a projectile as the chain eliminates energy quickly.

I think this is all correct. My ‘65 pto winch has been inop for a number of years, functional just needs a couple of things fixed. So my memory is suspect.

Last edited:
I don't have any controls on the winch itself, just the release to spool out the cable. I will play with it a bit and see. Thanks for all of your help.

Yeah at the winch there’s a lever that either engages of disengages the spool. GL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom