PTO Gear Shift (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of installing a PTO gearbox (and winch) into my 9/70 FJ40. I haven't actually seen one of these installed, and I know some of you out there have them. What I would greatly appreciate is a photo or two of how the PTO gearshift lever is mounted/installed, or a good description. I assume it fits on the transmission tunnel, but I don't even know that for sure. Can anyone help me? ???

IDave

I don't have a pic but the PTO lever in my cruiser was cut in the tranny tunnel. It's about prallel with the tranny stick. It's got a little felt liner around it but it keeps me warm during the winters..... tho in the summer is blows. Think it's time for a boot??

I have column linkage, so no transmission shift to look at. Must be on the driver's side of the tunnel, right? I mean, left? :D

Yes it is, if i can get my room mate to bring down his digital camera i'll take some pictures of what it looks like.

That'd'be great :D

What I would greatly appreciate is a photo or two of how the PTO gearshift lever is mounted/installed, or a good description. I assume it fits on the transmission tunnel,

IDave

Dave,

the shifter has a threaded pivot that screws into the transmission top cover.
pto_lever.jpg

It only sticks out through the transmission tunnel, but there is a boot to keep dirt, dust and noise out like GreenWeeny said. In older cruisers there is also some sort of flap door that keeps the lever in place that attaches to the tunnel like part #9 on SOR's catalog:
116b.gif

Dave
(I got to say Specter does the cruiser community a big service by putting up these diagrams on line)

Hi, Dave.
I've got the part about the pivot. But I've stared at that figure from the SOR catalog and I just don't see the hole that must be there for the lever to go through! There is a dotted line from the flap (discontinued-no longer available) that seems to go to solid tunnel cover. Is the hole just a slot, a circle? &nbsp:Does the pivot point rest on top of the tunnel, or does it ride underneath in a bracket? That's the sort of stuff I am trying to find out.
Thanks!

IDave-

The trucks that were originally supplied with the Toyota PTO had a slot in the Transmission Hump. The little oval flap door was used to locate the shifter in a nuetral position. I have the little flap door which I can take a digital photo of and send to you. I do not however have the hole in my transmission hump yet though. Otherwise I could send a rubbing of the actual hole and it's location.

If someone out there has an original hump with the factory hole it would make life alot easier for people like us to add the correct size hole.

The shifter pivot attaches to the shifter plate on the top of your transmission. If you have vaccum (sp?) shift then there was a plate that had three bolt holes to bolt to the transmission.

Let me know if you want me to e-mail any pics.

HTH!!

Sniper,
That would be great if you would email pix of the oval flap.
I do have the vacuum shift transfer case, but you say the plate fits onto the transmission. I'll have to stare at that a bit.

IDave

Sniper,
Thanks for the pix. I think I can put it together, now. &nbsp:Don't know what I'll do for a flap door, unless someone out there happens to have one. But it looks like something I can jury-rig.

post the pics...im interested!

Here ya go: the hole in the hump

And the hinged flap:

And the shift lever on the pin/stud mounted onto the transmission top plate:

IDave, is that the toyota three speed the shifter stick is attached to? I'm running an h41/early tcase on the rig that's getting my pto winch, and it looks like there's the same hole in the top cover, in about the same place...Alan, with two toyota pto's waiting to work their way onto the rig...

Alan,
Its Sniper's picture, but I'm pretty sure its a 3 speed tranny. The schematic for the 4 speed in the chassis/body manual I have shows the same hole. Beyond that, I can't be sure. Exceptin' that in Specter's catalog there is a schematic for a PTO gearcase that has 2 instead of 1 shift levers. &nbsp:Don't know where that fits into all of this.

It is mounted on a three speed tranny.

In regards to the double shift, they were for a rear mounted water pump. I assume for the fire truck model. I have the printouts from the Toyota dealer that shows the drive shafts for the rear, pretty interesting. I purchased the above shifter and pivot from SOR, as I remember $18. It took them sending two of them befors I got one that wasn't mangled. If your going to order one ask for Mark and have him find one that is clean.

BTW SOR now sells the throttle cable kit for the PTO. It's a little expensive IMO.

If anybody reads this and has a factory hole for the PTO shifter please let me know I would love o rubbing of it for a guide to cut in mine.

Thanks!

Ahh, the throttle cable thing.  Excuse me while I vent, but since you brought it up I think I will.
 The kit SOR sells, or, for that matter any of the throttle cables they sell as parts, is the under dash model.  The FJ40, however, had an in-dash hand throttle with the PTO option.  I ordered several different used cables trying to end up with the in-dash version, but SOR kept sending the under dash, short cable type.  When I pointed out that the owner's manual, toyota repair manual and their own catalog show the cable is supposed to be in-dash, they claimed they researched it and said there never was an in-dash version!  :mad: Yet, all the literature says the under-dash was for the FJ45 only until 9/72.  Anyway, if someone out there wants a used underdash hand throttle, I've got a couple extra, cheap.  You need a special tab on your gas pedal to attach it to (that's what makes the kit) but it would be simple and cheap to jury-rig an attachment to your standard pedal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom