PSA - if you may need tires in the next few months, order them soon. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered a new set of wheels/tires Nov. 16th and was told this week that it’s probably going to be another 8-10 weeks.

Good thing I didn’t wait for my tires to get too bad. They’re bad enough that I don’t feel comfortable in snow/ice but around town is fine.

Anyhow - looking at several months waiting so don’t wait until the last minute.

What did you order and what did they say is causing the delays?

You name it. Everything is hard to come by right now. Tires of all makes and sizes are hard to find.
Guess I've been fortunate to find stuff in stock, with at most a 1 week wait. 3 months waiting for tires, then being told to add another 8-10 weeks, sounds like either some very rare boutique brand or size, or something else is amiss.

Guess I've been fortunate to find stuff in stock, with at most a 1 week wait. 3 months waiting for tires, then being told to add another 8-10 weeks, sounds like either some very rare boutique brand or size, or something else is amiss.

Try and order a drag radial. Or anything performance related.

Hell I had to wait a month for the 315's on my 80 series.

Screenshot_20220221-004829_Chrome.jpg

These are the rear tires on my truck. Also the OEM tire size on a hellcat. Not exactly boutique.

I ordered a set of Icon wheels and 285/75/17 KO2s from Discount Tire. Called 4WheelParts who also told me everything is back ordered.

Last edited:
Prices are also through the roof. The same wheel was under $200 a couple of years ago and I think I’m paying $309.

Thanks so much for the heads up!

My summer tires went in the trash in the Fall, and I intended to buy new in the Spring. Just called my local shop, and Michelin Latitudes are 'several months out'.

I ordered a set of Icon wheels and 275/75/17 KO2s from Discount Tire. Called 4WheelParts who also told me everything is back ordered.
I reached out to BFG direct and they said this size is out of stock and currently in production. Tire Rack has a tentative availability of late March, but no way to pre-order. Looks like I may be on my 18" and tundra rims for a while.

I reached out to BFG direct and they said this size is out of stock and currently in production. Tire Rack has a tentative availability of late March, but no way to pre-order. Looks like I may be on my 18" and tundra rims for a while.

Thanks for the info - I’m not even going to expect anything until April- mid spring.

Sucks I’m missing out on my favorite camping season but not much I can do about it.

I agree- I ordered 285/75/17s in October from Discount needless to say they never arrived. My older tires were on the way out plus with family visiting Denver and a couple good storms forecasted I decided to pull the trigger on 34x10.5x17s almost the same as the 285/75/17s mentioned above. The manager at Discount also mentioned that we are going to see more delays so if you want tires I say get em asap!

7211EF54-9C30-418A-9773-8658403EB9E9.jpeg

Soooo...no abusing the current rubbers as to ensure ill have some left for LCDC....understood.
I'd want 2 spares as getting a spare tire may be a nightmare.

No reason you couldn’t run a different brand tire as the new spare in the unlikely even that you get an unrepairable failure.

No reason you couldn’t run a different brand tire as the new spare in the unlikely even that you get an unrepairable failure.
True, but even same size tires can be substantially different in diameter (K02s are a good amount smaller than Falkens in the same 285/70R17 for example).

While it would probably be fine on the drivetrain (torsen diff can handle a 2-3% difference iirc), I'd prefer to have 2 spares if I am doing any gnarly trails far from home, especially if replacements are hard to come by.

True, but even same size tires can be substantially different in diameter (K02s are a good amount smaller than Falkens in the same 285/70R17 for example).

While it would probably be fine on the drivetrain (torsen diff can handle a 2-3% difference iirc), I'd prefer to have 2 spares if I am doing any gnarly trails far from home, especially if replacements are hard to come by.
The decision to actually carry two spares is usually one that would have to be made early in a build.. and forces other sacrifices.

Driving to tuktoyatuk is one thing. But trails in Colorado?

Not to mention buying extra just because of supply issues.. with tires means you’ll likely end up throwing one away later with perfect tread, but aged rubber that won’t grip in the wet.

They do publish the dimensions. Finding some kind of tire that is relatively close in diameter can’t be that difficult.

Remember - tire manufacturing, like swimsuits and ski gear, is season dependent. There are so many types and sizes of tires that manufacturers plan a run to make sure they have the right tires for the peak of demand. So, winter tires are typically sold out in the spring and summer tires are sold out in the fall. Off road tires are usually sold out until spring, no matter where you live.

I don't plan to do this now, but I could see the rationale for having a spare ready to ship from home base while on a long trip where there are supply chain issues. Back when I was into adventure bikes, I kept hard to locate spares handy in the garage so my wife could ship them to me if needed. Pre planning like this can save a trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom