PS Fluid vs. ATF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, some pretty technical stuff out there, but it still left me wanting. Does anyone know if this is true, that site said Toyota PS fluid is just ATF without the dye. That would explain the factory fluid color.

Anyone else want to chime in?

It would surprise me if Toyota PS fluid is ATF. After all, doesn't it say to use a Dextron II/III fluid on most toyotas? US-market PS fluid is subpar in quality, IMHO. I've heard stories of guys using PS fluid, only to have their PS leak (didn't leak before). Upon switching to ATF w/ dextron II/III, the leaks stopped.

Jim,

For what it is worth, Toyota's factory fill fluid for the power steering system IS NOT red. With that in mind, what do you think they use?

Thats over the edge ;)

"You can milk just about anything with nipples."

"I have nipples, Greg, could you milk me?"

I just about lost it on that line! ;)

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=10327;start=msg94539#msg94539 date=1074878658]
Jim,

For what it is worth, Toyota's factory fill fluid for the power steering system IS NOT red. With that in mind, what do you think they use?
[/quote]

Dan, could it be a proprietary PS fluid that toyota had made for them? One thing I noticed is in my '01 honda FSM, it states intervals for changing the fluids, and specs a long initial interval, then shorter intervals after that, as if a lower quality fluid was assumed to be used. For example, it says the change the coolant at 60K mi or 5 yrs, then at 30K mi intervals afterwards. Similar goes for the manual tranny fluid, ATTS fluid, etc. Any validity to this theory? Motors oils in Japan have a different rating (not SJ/SL like here). My bro-in-law's toyota has stickers in the engine compartment that specifically say to use 10w30, not 5w30 like w/ N.A. toyotas, and 'long-life' coolant. I know on some guys 4runners, it says to use ATF w/ Dextron II for the PS. Makes me wonder if the PS fluid toyota uses (in Japan or even in N.A.) is more like ATF in quality/performance than the common PS fluids available off the shelf?

[quote author=Hltoppr link=board=2;threadid=10327;start=msg94634#msg94634 date=1074894879]
Ahem, Jim...

We've already come to the conclusion as to what it is... ::) :slap:

Can't you hear the squeals!

-H- :D
[/quote]

Your lemming is very sweet :D

Mike

Has anyone drained and refilled the PS reservoir with ATF while not flushing the entire system? Any problems with this? Is it better to flush the entire system and then use ATF? I did a quick search on bobistheoilguy but did not come up with any useful info. Great site though! Thoughts, comments...

Was in an auto store the other day and over heard a chick asking for power steering with the anti-squeal additive that her boyfriend had told her to buy. :doh: :princess: I don't know which was funnier, what she asked about or what he sold her. Either way, I was staying out of it, but was laughing the whole time. :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom