Protection for 3-4 days driving through salt desert (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there!
I’ve searched in the forums but couldn’t find a direct answer to this question (my apologies in advance, I’m new in the forum, and sure it’s somewhere there)

I’m about to do a 3-4 days drive through the Uyuni Salt Flat in Bolivia (in case you are not familiar, think of something similar to the Badwater Basin in Death Valley, but way larger). I’ve been advice that this could be very corrosive and damage the underbody. Also, this is rainy season so it will be splashing underneath.

So my question: Is there any consensus over what’s a good treatment to protect the underbody against this specific type of rust/corrosion? There are some shops at the skirts of the desert that offer a treatment with gasoline or diesel, but I’m not sure if this is good enough.

Any tip that is not a huge budget would be better, as these 4 days are the only exposure we’ll have to this environment.

Fluid Film or Woolwax would be perfect for this. Both are developed for driving on salty roads in the USA during the winter. You can self-apply using a spray gun and a small air compressor, or buy it in aerosol cans (more expensive in unit price). One gallon (4 quarts) should do the full underside of your Prado. Both Woolwax and Fluid Film are lanolin (wool) based and non-toxic. It acts like a lotion if you get it on your skin. I'm not sure about the availability or ability to ship to Peru, but it's worth a shot.

Fluid Film or Woolwax would be perfect for this. Both are developed for driving on salty roads in the USA during the winter. You can self-apply using a spray gun and a small air compressor, or buy it in aerosol cans (more expensive in unit price). One gallon (4 quarts) should do the full underside of your Prado. Both Woolwax and Fluid Film are lanolin (wool) based and non-toxic. It acts like a lotion if you get it on your skin. I'm not sure about the availability or ability to ship to Peru, but it's worth a shot.

Although it takes longer, it can also be brushed on if you don't have a compressor and spray gun. Much more economical than buying aerosol cans.

To the OP- If you are near a port, a ships agent or industrial marine supply shop may have it. Fluid Film is often used on ships.
As a last resort boiled linseed oil thinned with turpentine, mineral spirits or kerosene (whichever is cheaper) is a good inexpensive rust preventative coating. Brush it on and avoid rubber and plastic components.

Thanks both for your comments and advice. I did read in the forum, and had heard about those two products but I just wasn’t sure it was good for salt as well. Thanks again, will try to find some.

1 gallon / 3.8 litres should be plenty

When you get out of those salt flats, get to the first car wash, the ones with the pressure washers (if you have them down there) and take the time to pressure wash the entire under carriage, along with the exterior too. You may also want to hit the engine bay a little too, just be careful where you point the pressure nozzle in the engine bay.
Doing that, you shouldn't have to worry about any under carriage protection.

We used Wd40 on motorcycles in similar salt/sand conditions. Spray everything you can. Helps with some water intrusion in crevasses and definitely makes it easier to wash all that nasty stuff off afterwards. Not as durable as the products mentioned above of course, but probably cheaper and easier to find… and better than nothing for limited exposure as you’re referring to.

You are concerned about a 3-4 day run? Not a lifetime in the salt? Just power wash it thoroughly after you are back.

Mark...

I’ve been looking around and it seems like Woolwax nor Fluid Film are available where I am.. I would need to order internationally and it won’t arrive on time.
I might end up using the alternative methods suggested (e.g. WD40 + pressure washing afterwards).
I also found this Wurth product locally (see attached Tech Sheet). Sorry it’s in Spanish but the main thing is that it is Poliurethane-base. Is that ok? I don’t want to apply something that is more permanent that might be detrimental afterwards.

81AE69E3-BEB9-441A-91FE-2A8C4721F07F.jpeg

Reactions: r2m
You are concerned about a 3-4 day run? Not a lifetime in the salt? Just power wash it thoroughly after you are back.

Mark...
Good to know… I’m just not used to these environments and it’s actually a relieve if I’m over-worrying.
Just wanna make sure you are considering it will be ~300-400 miles of driving through water soaking over a salt desert floor

Last edited:
Water-logged salt solids could pretty easily accumulate in crevices between frame crossmembers, or in other recesses. While you could get most of it power washing, it's unlikely you could get all of it. The frames on the 120/150 platform have lots of holes/gaps that material can enter, after which it's near impossible to get out.

With just a 3-4 day exposure and limited availability of lanolin-based coatings in your area, I agree with other posters that coating it with something should work. I've just used the lanolin coatings myself - other folks also use coatings like used motor oil (seems sketchy to me) or new chainsaw bar and chain oil. You'll want something somewhat "sticky" so it's not immediately washed off by the water/salt mixture.

Either way, I'd put the rig up on jackstands when you return and wash it as good as you can.

Good to know… I’m just not used to these environments and it’s actually a relieve if I’m over-worrying.
Just wanna make sure you are considering it will be ~300-400 miles of driving through water soaking over a salt desert floor
The distance traveled won't be the problem, the problem is how long the residue sits on your rig.
So as mentioned above, for a long weekend of travel, for myself, I'd have no problem just pressure washing it. Maybe do it a couple of times.
Another option after pressure washing is get one of these cheap $15.99 USD oscillating lawn sprinkler
Amazon product ASIN B0BZPTD7WKSet it under your rig and let it run for a half hour or more, than move it to another spot underneath.
Guaranteed it will eventually hit, drip or run into every nook and cranny that driving over the salt flats hid in.
Just not sure if you get "Next Day" shipping from Amazon down there.

The distance traveled won't be the problem, the problem is how long the residue sits on your rig.
So as mentioned above, for a long weekend of travel, for myself, I'd have no problem just pressure washing it. Maybe do it a couple of times.
Another option after pressure washing is get one of these cheap $15.99 USD oscillating lawn sprinkler
Amazon product ASIN B0BZPTD7WKSet it under your rig and let it run for a half hour or more, than move it to another spot underneath.
Guaranteed it will eventually hit, drip or run into every nook and cranny that driving over the salt flats hid in.
Just not sure if you get "Next Day" shipping from Amazon down there.
This is a great idea.

Reactions: r2m
I have one of these as part of my driveway carwash kit :).
Amazon product ASIN B0834NFPTP
Love it! If I didn't already have a pressure washer, I'd be inclined to get one. Heck, I may get one anyways since it looks to shoot a water jet straight up under the frame which I can't do with pressure washer.
If this pushes water at anything close to pressure washer, this would be better than the oscillating lawn sprinkler I mentioned above.
Although with the lawn sprinkler you can set a timer on your phone and let it sit and work, assuming you don't live in drought driven So. Cal. where you can't just leave a hose running.

Love it! If I didn't already have a pressure washer, I'd be inclined to get one. Heck, I may get one anyways since it looks to shoot a water jet straight up under the frame which I can't do with pressure washer.
If this pushes water at anything close to pressure washer, this would be better than the oscillating lawn sprinkler I mentioned above.
Although with the lawn sprinkler you can set a timer on your phone and let it sit and work, assuming you don't live in drought driven So. Cal. where you can't just leave a hose running.
You attach it to your pressure washer with the quick-disconnect. It does divide the flow between multiple nozzles but works very well. I just roll mine under the rig in a grid pattern from all of the sides and watch the mud fall off onto my driveway :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom