4Lo on GX460 - Ability to shift through gear range (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was today-years-old when I discovered we can actually shift through a gear range after placing the 460 in 4Lo.

This topic came up with friends whilst driving offroad in Mammoth a couple of weeks ago and I just looked it up. I always thought 4Lo was a single gear/selection - am excited to try out the different gearing iterations of 4Lo the next time I'm on dirt!

Apologies if I'm the odd man out and this is already common knowledge, but I thought I'd share.

Ha-ha-ha! With all due respect, don't mean to laugh at you, but it is kind of funny.
Yeah, Hi or Lo, you have the ability to shuffle through the gears.
But, hey, I shouldn't laugh. There are probably some things I don't know that would be common knowledge to some of you out there...
What do they say about pointing a finger? If you're pointing a finger at someone, there are 3 more fingers pointing back at you!

I take it you hadnt thought about vehicles with both manual transmissions and 4Lo?

Reactions: r2m
Yeah, shifting the gears yourself in 4Lo helps a lot with minimizing brake usage and allow you to control your climbs and descents a lot easier. Don't feel bad. Took me a bit to learn it as well. I used to just drive in D lol. Most of us have been there if the GX is your first off-road vehicle.

Lol. Glad you're learning. However, take what that guys says with a grain of salt. I've watched some of his videos and he very confidently spreads not-so accurate information, to put it nicely. He started posting videos two years ago and I'd bet that was the first time he touched a 4x4.

I do a lot of manual shifting when going coming down steep grades, whether it's the Grapevine north of L.A., the Cajon Pass or coming down the mountain from skiing. Rather than dragging my brakes I'll drop down a gear or two. I'll do it for some spirited driving on curvy mountain roads. Makes me miss having a manual sometimes (till hit gridlock traffic). 😝
It's a good habit to get into and it'll help save your brakes for when you really need them.

I take it you hadnt thought about vehicles with both manual transmissions and 4Lo?

I've driven plenty, but didn't realize it necessarily applied to an auto tranny in the newer 460.

Yeah, shifting the gears yourself in 4Lo helps a lot with minimizing brake usage and allow you to control your climbs and descents a lot easier. Don't feel bad. Took me a bit to learn it as well. I used to just drive in D lol. Most of us have been there if the GX is your first off-road vehicle.
Yeah I just never thought about it, I guess. The funny thing is the GX isn't my first 4x4 lol 🤦‍♂️

Lol. Glad you're learning. However, take what that guys says with a grain of salt. I've watched some of his videos and he very confidently spreads not-so accurate information, to put it nicely. He started posting videos two years ago and I'd bet that was the first time he touched a 4x4.
Agree - I've seen a few of his videos and know exactly what you mean. I was just trying to find some confirmation that 4Lo gear ranging on the 460 was a thing.

I do a lot of manual shifting when going coming down steep grades, whether it's the Grapevine north of L.A., the Cajon Pass or coming down the mountain from skiing. Rather than dragging my brakes I'll drop down a gear or two. I'll do it for some spirited driving on curvy mountain roads. Makes me miss having a manual sometimes (till hit gridlock traffic). 😝
It's a good habit to get into and it'll help save your brakes for when you really need them.
Yes, I manually shift in 4H all the time when roadtripping - it really helps with descents, overtaking on grades, better MPG and overall control/enjoyment in the drive!

I've driven plenty, but didn't realize it necessarily applied to an auto tranny in the newer 460.

Yeah I just never thought about it, I guess. The funny thing is the GX isn't my first 4x4 lol 🤦‍♂️

Agree - I've seen a few of his videos and know exactly what you mean. I was just trying to find some confirmation that 4Lo gear ranging on the 460 was a thing.

Yes, I manually shift in 4H all the time when roadtripping - it really helps with descents, overtaking on grades, better MPG and overall control/enjoyment in the drive!
I always shift into "6" as soon as I start driving, because I hate the stupid little ECO light on the dashboard. If I wanted "ECO", I wouldn't have bought a GX, and a light that stays on 90% of the time isn't really providing any information. It just bugs me.

As for shifting while in 4Lo, try the second gear start mode when in low range. It's buried in the menus accessed from the steering wheel. It puts you in a slightly lower gear than the normal 1st gear (high) but not crazy low. I've used this for engine braking on steep but not treacherous hills, as well as in deep snow where too much torque might dig you in.

My old Jeep XJ had a 5speed and 4.11 gears, so 1st gear in low range would buck like a bronco and top out at around 2mph. I found myself using 2-low to start out on all but the most technical trail sections and it became natural feeling. Now I treat the automatics the same way. However, that Jeep was my 3rd 4x4 and it never occured to me before, so don't feel bad. My first car as a kid was a Scout II with a 4speed and super low crawling gears. It made me reluctant to use low range because it was so difficult to manage that torque and I hadn't thought to simply upshift. Everyone's gotta learn sometime.

I always shift into "6" as soon as I start driving, because I hate the stupid little ECO light on the dashboard. If I wanted "ECO", I wouldn't have bought a GX, and a light that stays on 90% of the time isn't really providing any information. It just bugs me.
Lol, my eco is on nearly all the time and I get like 12mpg. I don't think the eco light means anything other than you're foot's not on the firewall. I have to drive pretty hard to get it to turn off.

Lol, my eco is on nearly all the time and I get like 12mpg. I don't think the eco light means anything other than you're foot's not on the firewall. I have to drive pretty hard to get it to turn off.
Okay, funny story time. I went out last weekend for a nice 200 mile drive with some light wheeling at the destination. I didn't realize until I was a hundred miles from home that I had forgotten my wallet. So I actually tried to hypermile my truck, starting in a riverbed and all the way back home on I-5. The gas light turned on as I got back to my neighborhood, so plenty to spare, but I was super paranoid I wouldn't make it. I think I actually got 17mpg on that tank, but I made sure that ECO light stayed on the whole time.

I get 30-35mpg on my daily driver without even trying, so it felt ridiculous trying to hypermile the truck. But I'm glad I made it home and, for once, I actually paid attention to the ECO light.

Okay, funny story time. I went out last weekend for a nice 200 mile drive with some light wheeling at the destination. I didn't realize until I was a hundred miles from home that I had forgotten my wallet. So I actually tried to hypermile my truck, starting in a riverbed and all the way back home on I-5. The gas light turned on as I got back to my neighborhood, so plenty to spare, but I was super paranoid I wouldn't make it. I think I actually got 17mpg on that tank, but I made sure that ECO light stayed on the whole time.

I get 30-35mpg on my daily driver without even trying, so it felt ridiculous trying to hypermile the truck. But I'm glad I made it home and, for once, I actually paid attention to the ECO light.
Haha nice. I got over 20mpg on my 13 hour road trip to FL early this year with stock tires and used to get 15-17mpg mixed on stock tires. Since I changed to 275s, I get around 12-13 mixed and haven't payed attention on long highway stretches.

I was just saying I don't think the ECO light actually "does" anything other than letting you know you aren't flooring the pedal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe it remaps fuel management or shift points like a true "ECO Mode" button would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom