Got a 2016 Prado for wifey to compliment our series 80 in Costa Rica - want to add off-road driving lights (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just picked up a nice 2016 Prado turbo diesel with 125k km. VX trim. We are not going to go nuts with mods and buildout on this as the Series 80 will be the adventure machine and the Prado will be the “luxury” car for airport runs, dinner dates, on road trips etc.

We would like to fit a pair of bad DAS off-road driving lights. I have a set of Baja Designs LP6 lights on the 80 and they are awesome. But it’s funny how you get used to stuff. Now when climbing our mountain road up to house we expect the virtual sun of the LP6s and without seems like driving with candles.

Is there any decent way of mounting a set of large lights on the stock bumper without replacing bumper or adding a push bar?

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-28 at 9.40.39 PM_Original.jpeg

The “Burro del Pantano” big brother.

20230627_104821_Original.jpeg

Last edited:
How about replacing the fog lights with something brighter? Or you could just install some ditch lights. Otherwise behind the grille might be the only other option?

Ditch lights:
1696170683126.jpeg

Maybe another way to ask the question - what is the minimum push bar that I could bolt on to add a platform for some big lights. Maybe even somethign I could bring as a checked bag?

MrTorque - yes have considered those options but little ditch lights like that are a fraction of the output of the lights I have on my 80. I want the flamethrowers!

How about something like this?

DaSen Front Bumper 6x12 inch Universal License Plate Holder Mounting Bracket
https://a.co/d/g9mNGWn

Going in another direction, how about a roof rack mounted light bar?
That'll burn a path wherever you go!
You already have a rack and if you mount it low enough, it should still be usable. It can also be mounted on the "A" pillars:
1696189320934.jpeg
1696189365923.jpeg

Agreed, go with an aftermarket roof rack for a GX460 and add a big LED light bar to that. Skips having to modify the bumper (or put on a bull bumper that hangs down lower) and also provides the utility of a much better rack for hauling stuff around.

I personally have just ditch lights, which are very useful for off-road driving at night, since they help illuminate the areas off to the side which a pair of forward-mounted lights or even a light bar won't do (huge help for avoiding obstacles and for watching for animals/deer/etc). But I do plan to do an LED lightbar upgrade at some time in the future as well.

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom