pros/cons for hydraulic steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anyone have opinions (based on experience please) or facts on the matter?

our tractor is awsome offroad, but it really gives no 'feel of the road' when i am hurtling down the road at top speed (26kph). Based on my driving style, i would find highway and normal road driving very difficult, if not impossible with hydraulic, because i hang off the steering wheel, and base my corrections more on what i feel through the wheel than what i see (for normal road driving) and with hydraulic you lose all that, and have to constantly correct based entirely on what you see the vehicle doing.

But for a trailered offroad rig -- AWSOME! --

there might also be some serious legal issues with not having direct connect steering for on road use.

Sam
'79bj40
Case 485

Contact Kstatecruiser, he just did the hydro steering conversion in the last 2 months. You know it is not street legal, offroad only,
Ed :)

full hydro or hydro assist?

I'm getting closer and closer to hydro assist....from those I know who have it, they love it. Even moreso than some with full hydro (for those who have experience with both). Hydro assist IS street legal too.

Hydro / Drive by wire

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why its illegal when there are new cars that have drive by wire systems?

Hydraulic have no back up systems and no return to center. There are lots of stupid rules about what's illegal on the road like beadlocks and braided brake lines, but hydraulic steering is dangerous. Hydraulic assist is the shiznit, however.

I have not seen a steer by wire vehicle out there. BMW has brake by wire, and a number of cars are throttle cable less, but the Beemer has a full hydraulic backup system. The rear steering on the Silverado might be, but I bet it's designed to fail in the straight mode.

If a car was steer by wire, it would be a matter of programming to get it to return to center and have feedback. You can't do that with hydraulic.

There are lots of stupid rules about what's illegal on the road like beadlocks and braided brake lines
Wait a minute-So those nice new braided stainless brake lines I have on are illegal?

The rear steering on the Silverado might be, but I bet it's designed to fail in the straight mode.
It is.
Its just a matter of having a backup purely mechanical system in the event that something fails.

Yes, your brake lines are NOT DOT approved, but they do meet the DOT requirements. I doubt you will ever have an issue with them.

Hopefully the DOT will approve them soon. I talked to a guy at a brake shope this week. He thinks he will have his DOT stamp for braided lines in the next few months.

Sorry it took so long for me to get back. I have limited access to the net this summer. I'm on an internship and don't have a phone and living very cheaply.

As far as the hydraulic steering, I love it. I can steer 36s with on finger. However, when I do travel at highway speeds, I take the belt off of the power steering pump. This gives me better control. I should have spent the money and got the proper orbital valve, but this way works for me. If you have any ?'s please email me. I get to that faster than replying on the board.

we saw a guy with a hole tapped in the front and top of his power steering box and ran to a ram.
i don't know if this is hydro assist or not.
i guess it's pretty nice, but i don't know if it's street legal or not.

Yes, it is power assist. Yes, it is legal. Go to the tech section for the best setup procedure. I would recomend drilling and tapping the body. If you drill the caps they are more prone to breakage. A friend had a rock fall on his cap and broke off his fitting. The only thing worse than lame manual steering is broken power steering.

thanks for the heads up, i'm excited to start learning about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom