Builds Project Old Blue Eyes (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I mentioned backyard/driveway work before, so this girl needed to make her way into the garage (along with a bunch of other stuff/parts)… when I left it, the rear wheel was freed from whatever crusty mess was holding it stuck.

Before we attempted to roll/drive it into the garage, @SkeeLo22 had the bright idea to give the engine and transmission a good cleaning with 4 x cans of degreaser and a pressure washer… it was a good idea.

05ED3BDF-2F9A-406D-83E8-ED81CD486C1E.jpeg

07783FBF-46A4-4785-B10D-AA9682059DCF.jpeg

B7163478-274D-4C51-8746-9AE90DBA3D28.jpeg

And with quite a bit of moving stuff around and throwing out stuff we didn’t need, we have room on both sides of this one, so plenty of room for activities… big step IMHO. And over the next month of backyard stuff/driveway stuff, we can make some progress (especially once tax season is over)

6AC92470-6F1F-4D9B-BB68-0F4B6741957B.jpeg

C9D7BC51-8E60-4A27-A191-C2292EC50C09.jpeg

F8D1D5E5-223E-460F-8969-15E2977954FA.jpeg

C8369149-C42E-4A10-B394-59D7037E78E9.jpeg

that's the nicest that garage floor is ever going to look :lol:

that's the nicest that garage floor is ever going to look :lol:
When you're right, you're right! Gonna be a mess coming up here after tax season is over!

And we’re back at it!!
@SkeeLo22 came over and we decided to spend the morning into the early afternoon working getting to our next objective with Old Blue… GETTING HER TO STOP.

And while eventually, there may be discs up front, for the time being the objective is just to get it to stop so we can move it around and get to a couple other projects waiting in the weeds (literally - also pictured) and get them driving/steering/stopping before making any decisions about “upgrades”

So with that said, to get her to stop we’re rebuilding the drum brakes at all 4 x wheels… purchased all the goodies (rubber lines, pads, springs, master cylinder, and wheel cylinders) from Rock Auto and proceeded to take things apart.

IMG_8896.jpeg

IMG_8897.jpeg

IMG_8898.jpeg

IMG_8900.jpeg

IMG_0907_Original.jpeg

The brake shoes fought us, but are actually in pretty good condition considering this truck has been sitting for quite some time…

Today, we got everything removed from the front and back and @SkeeLo22 decided it was time to see the shiny front end birfs, so he took it upon himself to clean the crud out of everything in the front. At some point the front end will need a rebuild but who knows if we stick with these coarse spline front end? So for now R&R… clean and replace…

Later, who knows 🤷🏾‍♂️

Next time on the agenda:
  • More cleaning
  • Replace rubber lines
  • Install new parts (wheel cylinders, pads and springs)
  • Bench bleed master and install
  • And then bleed the brakes until we get something to call home about
  • Keeping the old wheel cylinders to possibly harvest the ramped slotted ends since the new ones are flat…

IMG_8913.jpeg

IMG_8914.jpeg

IMG_8915.jpeg

IMG_8918.jpeg

IMG_8917.jpeg

IMG_8916.jpeg

And until probably next week… she rests… also the garage is cleaned/organized because @SkeeLo22 just can’t leave something like that alone. 🙏🏾 to have friends like that.

IMG_8919.jpeg

:clap:

Eh… update time.

Shocker FJ40 has been sitting in the same spot (with some new spots on the floor), in the same condition as it was back in Aug of last year. I’ve had “projects” that drag on for 5+ years but this isn’t gonna be one of them. I’m capable but not for what I wanna do with this one and I have a great friend/mechanic that has a shop not too far from here that’s gonna take over the parts I can’t handle… with some parts and guidance from @cruisermatt we’re gonna get this in a spot that I can do what I’m capable of…

Updated/Current plan:
Drivetrain:
  • Use knuckles out from my spare 62 front end for discs and fine spline, etc. 1” spacers and undecided on wheel/tires setup but they’ll be 33s, prob geolander mt g003 and probably fj cruiser steelies with some tabs for hubcaps from @cruisermatt
  • Use the FJ62 rear end as-is (obv both will be gone through for seals, bearings, etc) for a better rear drum and a parking brake.
Suspension
  • OME 2.5” lift with Bilsteins… have it on my current 62 and it rides great. Gonna flip the FJ40 spring to add some wheelbase (5.5”) for my rear driveshaft for my engine/tranny combo…
  • Gonna have to do some surgery in the fenders to center the axle and preserve that patina
Steering
  • FJ60 or fj80 box up front, gotta figure out those details
Engine/transmission
  • 5.3 LS / 4L60e / Split case, hence the need for a little more rear driveshaft length…
Right now, that’s the scope of this part… all the interior junk will have to come later… step 1 of this round was throw some wheels and tires on this girl so she’ll roll.

Also selling my 305/turbo 400/willys case along with some other parts I picked up (a 3-speed with a 305/350 bellhousing mated to a stock xfer case), a clutch, and some other stuff… I’ll prob just start listing stuff as I go.

Wheels are on, hopefully it’ll get picked up this week fingers-crossed

IMG_1142.jpeg

IMG_1146.jpeg

IMG_1145.jpeg

Also by the way @SipLife i reread a lot of your thread again last night because I want to be sure I want this automatic instead of the h55… and ultimately your comment about hardly needing 5th gear along with already having an h55 in my 62… led me to just go with the auto that was built for that motor…
IT WAS CLOSE THOUGH!!

Also by the way @SipLife i reread a lot of your thread again last night because I want to be sure I want this automatic instead of the h55… and ultimately your comment about hardly needing 5th gear along with already having an h55 in my 62… led me to just go with the auto that was built for that motor…
IT WAS CLOSE THOUGH!!
Tough call for sure. Around town I get up to 5th but don’t stay there for long in stop and go traffic. I get the most use out of 5th with all the highway driving my 40 does. In reality it’s only roughly a 600rpm difference between the H42 and H55 with 33s/4.11s at 85mph in highest gear. In my opinion if you’re dead set on a Toyota manual with an LS do an H42. Get up to speed quicker, row less gears in traffic, and stay in the higher rev range.

4l60 is a really great option that is already suited to the LS. I strongly considered this but didn’t want to modify my trans hump or quarters at the time. I also really enjoy rowing gears in a manual cruiser but it sounds like you’ve got that covered with your fj62. In hindsight, the list you have here is exactly how I would do it. You are in good hands with @cruisermatt and will end up with a really nice drivable rig.

Some updates…
  • Picked up a split case and adapter from @Taz72 and had em shipped to FL for a rebuild from @cruisermatt
  • Along with the rebuild, ordered up some OME springs/Bilstein shocks, some LS engine mounts, and a new transmission crossmember from @cruisermatt
  • Also ordered a vintage air unit (941200) new off of eBay because that was the best price I could find…
  • Lastly, washed my other vehicles since tax season is over (because posts need pictures)

IMG_1363.jpeg

IMG_1365.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom