Builds Project Killer B - 1988 BJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No axle swap, yet. I have a ton of the springs, and they are significantly longer than the stock units. The swap may wait until next winter as the order for my OEM brackets was canceled... summer is here and I want to drive this rig as much as possible. I also snagged some parabolic springs from @cruiserjunktion for a nice price... and may try those out.

:bounce2:
No axle swap, yet. I have a ton of the springs, and they are significantly longer than the stock units. The swap may wait until next winter as the order for my OEM brackets was canceled... summer is here and I want to drive this rig as much as possible. I also snagged some parabolic springs from @cruiserjunktion for a nice price... and may try those out.

Longer is certainly better for flex and ride.

Are the mounts different for the later model springs? I am guessing you don't want to do much fab and would rather just weld on new OEM mounts?

I am starting to think about coil sprung in the front of mine. :grinpimp:

Cheers

The plan was to weld on new OEM mounts. If I'm going to start cutting, it might as well be coils, as you suggest. So maybe I'll cut over the winter.

The parabolic springs were cleaned, blasted where required, and coated. The plastic slider pads for the spring tips were machined from gray colored oil filled UHMWPE. I'd rather have nice new shot peened units, but they are NLA. These springs will due for the rest of the season.

IMG_2119.JPG

IMG_2120.JPG

The suspension is nice, but obviously designed for a much heavier rig. Good chance of coil springs taking their place over the coming winter. No updates on the engine.... I have purposely been proceeding slowly so the family and I can enjoy the rig during these warm months. One of my bad habits is tearing things down during prime usage season.

Factory 2007+ snorkel? I wasn't planning on it, but I have 18 of them... soooo...A little tweaking and it will fit nicely. Anyone else want to try one? This iPad takes horrible pictures in lowish light situations.

View attachment 1553234

View attachment 1553235

@bjowett looking forward to considering one of the snorkels for the BJ75. Were you able to get the front portion of the snorkel tucked in after tightening it down with a bolt? Or, does it kind of stick out a little like the image of it taped up shows?

Now we are cooking with diesel! At $1800 brand new out of Japan, I couldn't say no... it has everything, fuel pump, governor, boost compensator... With the time and money going into this 15BFT, I'm not screwing around with worn out fuel system parts.

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2517.JPG

Ultimate factory power steering reservoir for a Toyota? Maybe.... This is a Toyoda Koki/Jtekt unit. It is utilized on many various years of Hino trucks in North America, and looks awfully similar to the monster unit that is found on the Mega Cruiser (thanks @Onur for post 116). It has not only a strainer on the fill port, but an internal filter that can be changed. I have one on the way... more on this bad boy when it shows up.

IMG_2860.JPG

Check out the funky filter... perhaps the design helps de aerate the fluid?

IMG_2858.JPG

Last edited:
This is a nice upgrade for the steering reservoir. The housing is 5.4" in diameter, and holds a bit over 1 liter of fluid. The filter is a microbon/fujibon type. There is a large bypass valve for cold mornings and/or a clogged filter. The only thing I might like to see added is a simple baffle.

IMG_2881.JPG

IMG_2883.JPG

Wow that is an amazing build. Maybe I'll just have to do the same thing with my bj74. Currently chasing a 14bt or 15bt but I wouldn't turn down a W04C-T, if I could adapt it to a h151 or h55. Love the work.

Who did you get the injection pump from? I'm looking and I'm finding prices more like $3300 -$3800. (assuming they can actually get one)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom