Project Hatchet. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AJR

Threads
A few weeks ago, while wrenching on @raanderson77 's 62 and drinking a couple beers, he suggested a camp-out wrenching party at my place. It sounded like a good idea, so I'm going with it.

We're going to be attacking my green 80 with a plasma cutter and some sawzalls and turning it into a single cab wheeling machine. Hopefully there's enough time and ambition to even weld some stuff back onto it after we cut things off. I'm going to work on doing some prep work ahead of time, the idea is that its ready to trailer to GSMTR and wheel.

I have enough room inside the shop for another vehicle, and plenty outside. If anyone else has any projects they want to bring along and could use some assistance with, feel free to do so. Maybe post up so we can make sure theres enough time/space/people to make it happen? This could maybe be an opportunity to ready some other rigs for GSMTR, or just a time to get some help on some maintenance items.

If there's any interest, we can make this into a multi-day event. I have room for several rigs to camp out, and we could do a campfire, sing Kumbaya and all that good stuff. I don't have neighbors right on top of me, but they are sort of within earshot, so we can only get mildly crazy with evening activities. I was thinking that most of the shop stuff would happen Saturday the 26th, but thats all dependent on what kind of interest we have with the idea. I don't have anything else planned this weekend, so I'm open to any ideas. My place is located just outside of Siler City NC, 27344. I'll post up more details on location as we get closer to the date.

I’m down.
after talking with Johny and assuming I havenot had shoulder surgery which would make me pretty useless.
this is what I was thinking.
get all your measurements ready. Get all your scrap metal ready.
the plan could be that all three of us make the necessary cuts and line up the cab. Once you are happy with the mock up I could start tack welding the body together ( I can bring my welding machine which runs off of 110and gas to do this part)
You and Johny could get started with the back portion. Wether you decide to do a tray like the Ausies or a flatbed or a modified truck bed.
it looks like Johny and I will more likelycamp out rhat way we can get two full days at it.
We should be able to get pretty close to finished between the three of us if you do all the necessary measurements prior and have all the necessary metal and have a solid idea of what you want the truck to like when done.
im sure you have already thought of all this just kind of sharing my thought process since Johny and I were talking about it over beers the other day.

I’m down.
after talking with Johny and assuming I havenot had shoulder surgery which would make me pretty useless.
this is what I was thinking.
get all your measurements ready. Get all your scrap metal ready.
the plan could be that all three of us make the necessary cuts and line up the cab. Once you are happy with the mock up I could start tack welding the body together ( I can bring my welding machine which runs off of 110and gas to do this part)
You and Johny could get started with the back portion. Wether you decide to do a tray like the Ausies or a flatbed or a modified truck bed.
it looks like Johny and I will more likelycamp out rhat way we can get two full days at it.
We should be able to get pretty close to finished between the three of us if you do all the necessary measurements prior and have all the necessary metal and have a solid idea of what you want the truck to like when done.
im sure you have already thought of all this just kind of sharing my thought process since Johny and I were talking about it over beers the other day.
Your welcome here, useful or useless :p

I have a good idea what I need metal wise for the cab, and I'll have that all ready. I need to bounce some ideas off @GLTHFJ60 as far what to do for the tray bed idea. Trying to balance cool vs whats practical to get done before GSMTR. I have some ideas, but some of them may have to wait till another time.

I have a 220 mig and 220/110 plasma. Bringing your 110 mig may be a good idea, we could in theory run both migs at the same time. My janky shop wiring may not be able to run both simultaneously, but I think it could be useful to have both there.

I'm in. As you know, I want to try and straighten my 62 rear bumper out.

I'm happy to help with any projects I can. Obviously not as capable as you guys, but I can turn wrenches and work under direction.

You had me at HAM

What's the plan for the 62?

Reactions: AJR
Your welcome here, useful or useless :p

I have a good idea what I need metal wise for the cab, and I'll have that all ready. I need to bounce some ideas off @GLTHFJ60 as far what to do for the tray bed idea. Trying to balance cool vs whats practical to get done before GSMTR. I have some ideas, but some of them may have to wait till another time.

I have a 220 mig and 220/110 plasma. Bringing your 110 mig may be a good idea, we could in theory run both migs at the same time. My janky shop wiring may not be able to run both simultaneously, but I think it could be useful to have both there.

For me I would go for a flatbed style or a bed style with lower sides than a regular bed. Then fab up a soft top frame that you can remove as needed. that way you are not dealing with high C pillars which is where you have hit your 80 in the past. I am bored at work so just thinking about my truck and made me think about this.

You had me at HAM

What's the plan for the 62?
We have Ham, but its still walking at the moment.

@raanderson77 's 62 rear aftermarket bumper is bent and needs to be straightened. We should be able to get that mostly done, its going to require some heat, some bending and some cutting and welding. Then it will need to be re-painted. I doubt we could get to the painting part, maybe just throw something on to prevent corrosion.

For me I would go for a flatbed style or a bed style with lower sides than a regular bed. Then fab up a soft top frame that you can remove as needed. that way you are not dealing with high C pillars which is where you have hit your 80 in the past. I am bored at work so just thinking about my truck and made me think about this.
Yes, plan is flat bed, the question now is tube or square. Johnny and I talked about this the other day, decided to go with tube for roll bar, maybe entire bed. There will be no C pillar when we're done, only an A and B. Its getting cut about 1/3 of the way into the rear doors.

Yes, plan is flat bed, the question now is tube or square. Johnny and I talked about this the other day, decided to go with tube for roll bar, maybe entire bed. There will be no C pillar when we're done, only an A and B. Its getting cut about 1/3 of the way into the rear doors.

Well, the back wall will be your "C" pillar when you put a window in there.

Im game, lets see if i can throw some kind of project together to make things difficult :)

Um, hi. Could I get in on this? Because my mechanic buddy quoted me 8 hours of labor for those CVs, and ... No.

Likewise, if someone wants to come to Asheville to help me - I would be happy to put you and your family up in the Airbnb I manage downtown, dates depending. A safe, free vacation!

Also those that know me know I love to cook, and I don't know how to make a small meal, and I make some mean ass cast iron fried chicken and beans and greens, so, consider alternative payment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom