ProComp 2.5 Lift Kit Installed, Impressions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks awesome!! That's is what I want for mine!!! Very nice job!

Ristretto, you'll be happy to know that Pro-Comp springs are made by NHK, they are the company who builds genuine Toyota springs. When Downey was in business, we were lucky enough to get to use NHK, and NHK designed more features into a Downey spring than the number of features that genuine factory springs had. Eventually Toyota's factory spring features caught up with Downey springs though. Only problem with your suspension now is Pro-Comp uses Gabriel as their shock supplier, and Gabriel's tend to be on the stiffer side of life.

Good advise! Do you have a recommendation for a good shock?

Ristretto, you'll be happy to know that Pro-Comp springs are made by NHK, they are the company who builds genuine Toyota springs. When Downey was in business, we were lucky enough to get to use NHK, and NHK designed more features into a Downey spring than the number of features that genuine factory springs had. Eventually Toyota's factory spring features caught up with Downey springs though. Only problem with your suspension now is Pro-Comp uses Gabriel as their shock supplier, and Gabriel's tend to be on the stiffer side of life.

Last edited:
How could it be that Marv Specter didn't buy up every wheel from all those trucks he found in the Saudi junkyards if they all had 16x7.5" non split rim wheels with hubcap clips? He was smart enough to see the demand, even in 2005:SpecterVision

Dave (DSB345), I recommend something very velocity sensitive (like Bilsteins) for the front, and something very soft for the rear (like Doetsch-Tech MV-12's, that are no longer available). Nothing is happening at your rear end, no engine weight/no pounding, so the softer the shock the better the ride on and off road.

Reviving and old thread. Decided to go pro comp based on price and positive reviews I’ve read. Wanted mostly to update original worn suspension components. Anyone else running this setup?

Interesting thread. I have been on the fence about new springs for a long time. Not that I don't need them but which ones. Seems most folks on here go with Old Man Emu but I know one of our resident gurus thinks it's a bunch of hype about OME. Not that they're bad just that they're as good as others, such as Pro Comp.

I just want a Cadillac ride.

Interesting thread. I have been on the fence about new springs for a long time. Not that I don't need them but which ones. Seems most folks on here go with Old Man Emu but I know one of our resident gurus thinks it's a bunch of hype about OME. Not that they're bad just that they're as good as others, such as Pro Comp.

I just want a Cadillac ride.

I’ve had ome, bilsteins and foxshocks on my past Toyota’s and they all have their good and bad. I picked up a ProComp lift kit for $680 shipped. I’m willing to wager it’ll do just as well as others and my wallet will be happier.

Is the kit the 4 springs and 4 shocks or does it also include hardware (Ubolts, shackles, etc...?). I would assume at that price just the springs and shocks which is still a mighty great deal. Where might I find such a deal? If I can remember correctly, I've got the stock springs with add-a-leags in the front and Rancho springs in the back, all put in probably 30 years ago. Probably haven't done more than 10,000 miles on them but they have indeed been holding up the truck that long...mostly parked. Got some extended shackles too but the whole system is tweaked. I've read both add-a-leafs and Ranchos provide a hell of a crappy ride and I have to say my ride qualifies. When are you putting on your springs? What kind of lift did you get? I just have 31" tires on mine so I figure 2 inch lift will suffice.

Is the kit the 4 springs and 4 shocks or does it also include hardware (Ubolts, shackles, etc...?). I would assume at that price just the springs and shocks which is still a mighty great deal. Where might I find such a deal? If I can remember correctly, I've got the stock springs with add-a-leags in the front and Rancho springs in the back, all put in probably 30 years ago. Probably haven't done more than 10,000 miles on them but they have indeed been holding up the truck that long...mostly parked. Got some extended shackles too but the whole system is tweaked. I've read both add-a-leafs and Ranchos provide a hell of a crappy ride and I have to say my ride qualifies. When are you putting on your springs? What kind of lift did you get? I just have 31" tires on mine so I figure 2 inch lift will suffice.

2.5 Front / 2.5 Rear Lift Kit - Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD (64-74) [K5064] | $696.68 | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts

There website says call for up to an additional 20% off. I called and got it down to $680. Got to me in about 2-3 days on a pallet to my garage.

7C03145A-A589-41E6-9C6D-E9003CF8EB29.png

Wow that's great, even has the U-bolts. I'm will check it out, thanks. Probably on the other side of the country from me. Are they known as a softer ride spring or...? I'm pretty much a street queen in my truck and am not looking for anything stiff. Comfort is the name of my spring game.

Hard to tell from the picture but it doesn’t look like these have a military wrap at the spring eyes. Is this true? Not necessarily a deal breaker but mil wraps are a nice “just in case” feature. The price is definitely right though.

I wonder if that's gonna be a little TOO much lift for 31 inch tires. I don't like that look....too much lift for a tire leaving a lot of empty space between tire and wheel well.

Hard to tell from the picture but it doesn’t look like these have a military wrap at the spring eyes. Is this true? Not necessarily a deal breaker but mil wraps are a nice “just in case” feature. The price is definitely right though.

What does the military wrap provide?

Military wrap is a second leaf spring wrapped around the eye of the main spring. This way, if you crack the main spring, the second wrapped spring will “catch” on the through bolt and prevent you from losing an axle. It gives you a way to limp the truck home on a loose, but still functional spring pack.

Hard to see once installed but you can see the additional wrap around the spring pin on the OEM spring here:

B70F80A3-1912-472D-9352-BA1A72D845D7.jpeg

Thanks for the great explanation. Sounds like a great safety to have, if you have the money to fund it. Do most springs have the military wrap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom