Probably a stupid question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are you guys running premium or regular unleaded in your 100s? Owners manual says regular is OK but premium will result in better performance and mileage (or something to that effect).

I run 87 octane and use a fuel additive every 5-10 tanks. Now and then I might hit her with premium.

Same here, 87 and run an additive every now and again (when I remember). 2005 - 2019 and not a single issue sine I bought it new.

I have used 87 pretty religiously, but have used 91 when towing and don't believe it helped at all. I probably would run 91 if I was driving in the mountains or pulling long hills.

These trucks are made to run in remote parts of the world and they barely have good gasoline. Ive been watching an overloading video by a Dutch woman in a Royal Enfield motor bike (itchy boots on youtube). When she gets to central Asia, she hardly find high octane gasoline, and I find LC, Mitsubishi Pajeros Montero on those streets!

I run regular all the time, but stick to Sams club, shell, chevron, exxon etc.

Any reason my 07 LX gas door has a sticker that says "premium only"? That's what I use. 91-93

I run 91 in my Lexus GS400 engine but it’s a bit higher compression I think. I don’t dare try anything less because I can get 29mpg on the highway if I’m careful (EPA rated it at 21mpg highway back in the day).

My mom has the Land Cruiser, she says it both runs and smells funny if it gets anything less than 91.

You better believe our FJ40 and FJ80 never see more than 85.

I’ve driven my LX 110k miles. The first half of those miles, I ran premium, the second half, only regular. I notice absolutely no difference, mechanically. Financially obviously there are benefits to running regular. If you’re rich AF with money to burn, feel free to run premium. But otherwise I wouldn’t bother.

The average price difference between regular and premium is about 20 cents. If you put in 20 gallons (right before the fuel light comes on) you’re talking about a whopping $4.00 more per tank to run premium. $4.00 over the course of 250-300 miles.

Premium only for me. I ran a long term test over years. Premium was statistically significantly better for mileage. Not by much, but it was better. Supposedly you get more power, too.

The cost savings of regular is partially negated by the loss in MPG. Unless you're tracking MPG religiously, you'd probably never notice.

Premium only for me. I ran a long term test over years. Premium was statistically significantly better for mileage. Not by much, but it was better. Supposedly you get more power, too.

The cost savings of regular is partially negated by the loss in MPG. Unless you're tracking MPG religiously, you'd probably never notice.
Higher octane allows the ECU to advance the ignition, so it will make more power from the same amount of gas. So mileage gets a little better. But higher octane gas also has more ethanol in it, since ethanol is 113 octane, so adding ethanol bumps up the octane.

If you have a problem with your evap system, you will notice more of that with premium gas, because premium gas has more ethanol in it to raise its octane. The reason for this is because ethanol has a much lower vapor point than gasoline. Ethanol boils off at a lower temperature than the gasoline if your fuel system can't dissipate the heat in the recirculating fuel (173 deg. for ethanol vs. 200 deg. for gas). Since the fuel system is basically a closed recirculating loop, not being able to carry off this heat becomes a cycle of increasing temps that eventually overwhelms the evap system. It also reduces the cooling of the fuel pump, especially on less than a full tank, which also adds heat to the system, creating more vapors. I run 87 or 89 (89 is usually not available) non-ethanol in my LC, because I tow a travel trailer with it. Even though my fuel evap system is all new and in perfect working order, I get terrible vapor venting while towing using gas of any grade with ethanol in it. Running non-ethanol fuel solves that problem for me.

So, to sum up... If you are having problems with evap venting, run non-ethanol and forget about the 87/93 octane arguments.

Last edited:
The supercharger wants premium, so the supercharger gets premium :cool:

Good intel here. Thx
I run premium. In my limited experience premium gas has kept my maintenance bills down some how... less build up or nasty stuff in, maybe it keeps the engine break downs or internal failures as in frequent as possible.. i'll keep going premium and I use techron additive every couple months or whenever i think about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom