Priming/Hand pump does not suck diesel fuel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I am about to finish my frame off restoration but I have problems with my diesel fuel priming/hand pump. Everything has been completely dry, 15 liters of fuel in the tank, a new fuel filter is mounted but it does not draw fuel from the tank.

1) I tried pressing the knob maybe 500 times. Nothing happens.
2) I tried the "advanced" method where you pull the fuel hose between the filter outlet and the injection pump inlet and do the following procedure according to Haynes: Push the knob, then put a finger on the outlet to seal it off, release the knob and subsequently remove the finger. Do this numerous times until fuel comes out of the outlet. Attach the fuel hose again and continue priming until the knob feels hard. Nothing happens with the advanced method.
3) I took the entire pump assembly into the workshop, poured some fuel in a jar, attached a piece of transparent silicone hose and started pumping according to 2) (see above). It sucked the fuel right of the jar with very little effort! No problems here.
4) I checked the fuel line and all the rubber hoses and cannot detect any problems such as rubber deterioration, missing clamps etc.

Anyone know what I can try?

Lucas

Is it a toyota?

You probably had some success taking the fuel primer off and getting it to pump from a jar because it needs little pressure. Pulling fuel from the tank is probably beyond your primer as the tank is below the primer and 3 metres away.

So unless you can find a leak, you most likely need a new primer. All the pumping with no fuel coming through only makes the wear inside the hand primer worse.

Most primers should pull fuel from the tank in 30 pumps

So how about a pic or an explanation on what type of primer you have?

A full tank may help, but if it can not pump from a low level, it would be a sign the hand primer is dying.

Yep, and if the diaphragm is no good, it's only a matter of time before it allows air into the fuel system when the engine is running and you'll be chasing a misfire, or hard starting after the truck has been sitting

Its a Toyota Hiace from 1984. The pump has the part number: 23301-64010. According to toyodiy this pump is used in Corollas, Land Cruisers (LJ, BJ), Hilux's in the 80s and 90s.

So its this type, you can buy them online for $40. Inlet and outlet can point different ways.

1588252450032.png

I think I read on the 70 Series forum that a Mercedes primer pump threads right in and is a better design.

I had my tank off my BJ74 emptied it, welded on it, replaced it.
I don't think my primer pump was doing the job.
I filled the fuel filter with diesel, put 5 gallons in the tank and after a slightly prolonged starter run, it fired up and kept on running.

I also believe that if you fill the fuel filter, then the injection pump should be able to do the rest of the job without having the starter motor dying from excessive cranking. I just want the added safety with a functional hand pump for emergencies.

I will look into buying an aftermarket pump (pictured) since a new original pump body is out of production and cannot be supplied anymore.

Here’s that Bosch primer.
Amazon product ASIN B001CO92F2
Here’s the thread I saw it on.

I replaced the fuel tank on my 60 with a 12HT. Got the inlet and return lines backwards.
Something simple?

Is it similar to the one I posted a pic of or like the one jblueridge posted?

The pic of the one I posted is still in production, but with upgraded part numbers.

This is the one for a 82-85 Liteace Euro spec

They are in production and still being used. They have probably been upgraded and given new part numbers by now.

1588324644727.png

Last edited:
Is the filter installed dry? I thought the filter needs to be filled with diesel before screwing it onto the primer pump. Moving fuel out of the filter toward the ip creates the negative pressure needed in the filter to pull fuel up from the tank? I didn't think it works with a dry filter.

Is the filter installed dry? I thought the filter needs to be filled with diesel before screwing it onto the primer pump. Moving fuel out of the filter toward the ip creates the negative pressure needed in the filter to pull fuel up from the tank? I didn't think it works with a dry filter.
According to both the factory service manual and the Haynes manual none of them state that the filter should be filled with fuel before screwing it on.

But is it different with a completely dry system? The manual instructions are for a filter change. I'm really just curious because I dealt with a completely dry system recently. I just filled the filter after a billion pumps and no fuel, was really easy to prime after that.

If you cant draw fuel from the tank in 30 pumps with an empty filter, the hand pump is faulty.
Most of the landcruisers on these forums are 20-35 years old including the pump. They are just another part that wears out..
The idea behind being able to pump fuel from the tank without filling filters, is that you can do so and be going again in minutes. Im thinking dark nights , hostile situations. And this is pretty much the same for all older style diesels.
I have never bothered filling the filter.

Good to know, I probably have a fault primer pump too. Same type, wouldn't draw fuel from the tank dry. Sorry if that was a hijack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom