This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Both 3B engines.

They both have different fuel pumps. (A square ish one and a long one. Are the pumps able to be swapped. Like are they the same mounting points etc

Cheers

IMG-20230208-WA0002.jpeg

One is rotary, other is inline.

I don’t think they are super interchangeable - of course anything can be done with enough patience and skill. But it sounds like the rotary injection pump has a built in PS system and vacuum pump. Inlines don’t have that. So there is your first problems up front.

I like inline pumps.

One is rotary, other is inline.

I don’t think they are super interchangeable - of course anything can be done with enough patience and skill. But it sounds like the rotary injection pump has a built in PS system and vacuum pump. Inlines don’t have that. So there is your first problems up front.

I like inline pumps.
Ok. Well my current "in use" engine has what I assume is the rotory pump. What's the difference in setup? I noticed the long pump (which I'd assume is the inline) has an electric motor joined to it. But it's got a 3 prong plug and I don't have anything for that to go into.

Sorry not very familiar with it

That is the EDIC motor attached to the pump.

It doesn’t need to be plugged in for the engine to be run, but usually it’s job is to turn on and off the injection pump via the ignition switch.

Not sure how the rotary pumps are, all I know is some of them has PS on them as well as a vacuum pump which may complicate the swap.

That is the EDIC motor attached to the pump.

It doesn’t need to be plugged in for the engine to be run, but usually it’s job is to turn on and off the injection pump via the ignition switch.

Not sure how the rotary pumps are, all I know is some of them has PS on them as well as a vacuum pump which may complicate the swap.
Right. So I might be better off going with the inline pump and try wire it to the ignition? Also you said you preferred the inline. Why's that?

Right. So I might be better off going with the inline pump and try wire it to the ignition? Also you said you preferred the inline. Why's that?

Wiring the EDIC to the ignition isn’t hard, but needs to be done with care. / also note, you don’t have to run wires to the EDIC you can go with a manual linkage setup. (Probably what I’d do).

In Canada we only have inline pumps. I like the simplicity of the design, which is essentially the same design that all heavy duty/old school diesels have its similar to the Bosh pumps found on other trucks.

Apparently the rotary pumps last just as long as the inline pumps do, but when the fail they are more expensive due to their more sophisticated and complicated design. Its included PS and Vac pump is both a strength and a weakness in my opinion.

Anyways I guess what I’m saying is, one is not better than another, it’s just a preference thing.

Last edited:
What are you guys talking about? Almost everything said here is incorrect and false.

All 3Bs have belt driven power steering pumps. Not gear driven.

All 3Bs have vacuum pumps off of the back of the alternator. Not gear driven.

An inline pump cannot be substituted for a rotary pump and vice versa. They are completely different fueling systems and have different fuel control systems.

All Toyota diesel injection pumps are licensed Bosch units: inline pumps are manufactured by Zexel in Japan and rotary pumps are manufactured by Denso. The use of these units is based on market specification, engine displacement, engine manufacturer (Toyota/Diahatsu or Toyoda Industries Corporation) and end vehicle platform.

What are you guys talking about? Almost everything said here is incorrect and false.

An inline pump cannot be substituted for a rotary pump and vice versa. They are completely different fueling systems and have different fuel control systems.

All Toyota diesel injection pumps are licensed Bosch units: inline pumps are manufactured by Zexel in Japan and rotary pumps are manufactured by Denso. The use of these units is based on market specification, engine displacement, engine manufacturer (Toyota/Diahatsu or Toyoda Industries Corporation) and end vehicle platform.

All Toyota diesel injection pumps are licensed Bosch units: inline pumps are manufactured by Zexel in Japan and rotary pumps are manufactured by Denso. The use of these units is based on market specification, engine displacement, engine manufacturer (Toyota/Diahatsu or Toyoda Industries Corporation) and
Ok well then what do I have and what can I do.

Last edited:
Um. You pretty much just repeated what he said

I think I was mistaken, OGbeno is quick to discredit me.

What I told you is true for 3Bii engines.

Ok well which ones which.

Yours is a 3B to my understanding. So what I said I believe to be true, but it doesn’t apply to the 3B.

Remember, you can search a lot of your questions and answer them.

Yours is a 3B to my understanding. So what I said I believe to be true, but it doesn’t apply to the 3B.

Remember, you can search a lot of your questions and answer them.
I mean they both say 3B on the side and the only 2 noticeable differences is that the fuel pump in inline and the oil filter is upside down

Ol well which ones which. Cause they both day 3B and are identical other than the fuel pump and the oil filter is upside down on the one that's on the back of my ute

3BII by all accounts has a slightly different rocker cover, may have been more likely to have come out of a Coaster or a Dyna rather than a Land Cruiser.

Can you post a photo of the one on the back of the ute?

3BII by all accounts has a slightly different rocker cover, may have been more likely to have come out of a Coaster or a Dyna rather than a Land Cruiser.

Can you post a photo of the one on the back of the ute?
That's the one on the Ute

Screenshot_20231207_202826_Facebook.jpg

The oil filter facing one way or another doesn't tell you anything. 3b engines had both style oil filter housings.
3bii engines came in plenty of land cruisers too not just coaster or dyna. The 3b is just a predecessor to a 3bii. I believe the change was sometime in 88 or so.

The oil filter facing one way or another doesn't tell you anything. 3b engines had both style oil filter housings.
3bii engines came in plenty of land cruisers too not just coaster or dyna. The 3b is just a predecessor to a 3bii. I believe the change was sometime in 88 or so.
Well I thought/know that both were normal 3Bs but then people in this thread are thinking it's a 3b11 so now I'm very much confused

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom