Primer on Rubicon & Fordyce Creek Trails (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am humbled to be in touch with the some of the experts in the region... thanks for all of the great info. (Keep it coming)

Here a ton of Fordyce & Rubicon photos to give you an idea of the trail. Hell Hole & Barrett Lake are some other good trails in the area. Not as epic as Rubicon or Fordyce but still lots of fun.

Fordyce Wheeling - Fordyce Creek 2015

Fordyce Wheeling - Fordyce Creek 2016

Rubicon Wheeling - Rubicon 2016

Rubicon Wheeling - Rubicon 2014

Barrett Wheeling - Hell Hole 4x4 Trail

Hell Hole Barret Lake Jeep Trail - 2016

For a bit of USFS road driving and another area, check out the Lakes Basin Recreation Area. You can take about half dirt forest service roads to get there from the Tahoe side of Rubicon, a couple hour trip, depending on stops. It is very scenic. There is a great, free lake-side OHV camp and one big OHV loop with some descent wheeling and awesome views. The camp is within 45 min or so of Graeagle where there are some restaurants and a brewery if you want a break from trail food and cooking.

If one were so inclined, you could drive into Downieville and rent mountain bikes and a shuttle for one of the top 20 mile downhill rides in the US.

Look in this forum for threads regarding the Cruiser Gold Rush. It happens in July, but that doesn't mean you can't do it yourself earlier. :)

Google: Cruiser Gold Rush site:ih8mud.com

If you were to forego the actual Rubithon for a later trip, you could squeeze in Dusy Ershim, Cruiser Gold Rush and a Rubicon run into two weeks.

If I were to go back out west I would have to say try Barrett lake if it's open. I loved that trail,very peaceful and a lot of hiking trails and lakes. There's a cool tree shaped like a women at the top camping spot on the lake. Prolly struck down by lighting by now. Over 18 years since I've been,sad actually. Best wheeling times of my life and the best people as well.

If you are trailering your rigs, park trailers at loon lake and stay at loon that night. Go to buck island the first night, rubicon springs the second night, and all the way back to loon lake the 3rd day. Stay at loon that night, and do Barrett's lake the 4th day, camp at the lake for 1 or 2 days and back out the way you came in. Lots of great challenging wheeling.
IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG

All most all wheeling is done during travel, not while in camp. I think you will find there is needed rest and repairs after conquering these trails.

John, was that the 'big 'or 'little' school bus?

I have been following up on this trail for the information for the Northern part of California trails. I want to do the rubicon so bad it hurts. coming from Washington and doing a lot of super tight trails and big hill climbs with large sharp rocks was a blast but since I have moved here I have move onto a bigger stronger rig with my 91 FJ80. I see yall are running 37s and up and that makes me a bit nervous. Im going up to 35s eventually but will I even be able to touch these trails with my 33 mtrs, 3 inch old man emu lift, and open diffs with the appropriate armor? As the author of this thread earlier said keep the info coming guys!!

I have been following up on this trail for the information for the Northern part of California trails. I want to do the rubicon so bad it hurts. coming from Washington and doing a lot of super tight trails and big hill climbs with large sharp rocks was a blast but since I have moved here I have move onto a bigger stronger rig with my 91 FJ80. I see yall are running 37s and up and that makes me a bit nervous. Im going up to 35s eventually but will I even be able to touch these trails with my 33 mtrs, 3 inch old man emu lift, and open diffs with the appropriate armor? As the author of this thread earlier said keep the info coming guys!!
I think everyone who does these trails have done it at least once with open diffs ( in my case once with front locker non op and 3 times with rear nonop). When you break tracktion, you have to charge the obstacles which is hard on the various parts of the vehicle. If you spend a lot of time stacking rocks and getting in and out studying lines, the Rubicon can be done with 33's, the Barrett lake trail, maybe not.

I appreciate the vote of confidence. hopefully I at least have my 35s on before I get out there.

Tons of folks go through on 33s. That is totally NOT the issue. But body height over the rocks and locked diffs are the issues. Get at least a rear locker, sign up for Rubithon and go. 80s do great on the Rubicon. Don't worry about it. Just go with someone experienced and have fun. You will want a rear locker. You'll want a front too, but not as often.

And I've done it in my FJ40 on 33s, with no lockers and no winch when I was new and my lockers went out (broken air line inside) on the first major climb. I had to get a tug a couple of times but relaxed and still had a blast.

The issue with a 1991 80 is that the rear axle shafts are rare as hen's teeth. No one will have spares. Try and find a set before you go. With a semi-float rear end, you need to face the fact that a broken axle is immobilizing, and you will need to fix it.

We are all taking about the front side (west) of the Sierras. But as you'll be coming from the eastern slope of the Sierras has some amazing terrain that is totally different and unique. Not as much hard wheeling, but you could have some fun and see some interesting things on your way over the Sierras.

Bumping this as Rubithon 2020 is tentativly on the calendar.
If we are out there what else...?

See my post above. I can't say enough good things about the Lakes Basin/Gold Lake area. Watch the crazy jeepers go down Snake Lake Tr. I'd recommend going up it instead. :eek: There's a @jcardona1 video in there too.

If you get serious, I'll work out a route through the forest from Truckee to Basset's with a stop-over at Webber Falls.

@Fast Eddy - I could love that route. I've been dying to do that quite a while. Do you Gaia?

No Gaia.

I was looking at the map. I'm not 100% sure I could repro what we did, and I've only done it once.

I believe we started at Sage Hen Rd: Google Maps

And took the 11 road, to Independence Lake Rd to Henness Pass Rd. Or something very close to that. It's all 2wd forest service roads.

If you get the forest service .pdf maps and a copy of the Avenza app you can drive on whatever roads are out there without fear of getting lost.

From Webber Falls you take the 12 road, Yuba Pass Rd, to the 54 Rd. The turnoff to Bassetts is marked with a normal road sign, as I recall. I've been on this section a few times. It looks confusing on the map, but those roads are "big" and the other roads are small. I have heard there's a store & edit: good fishing & camping at Webber Lake that would be worth a drive-by.

I've also been from Jackson Meadows Res to both Bowman Lake and out via hwy 20 to hwy 80 and all the way to the west end of Henness Pass Rd to Forest/Allegany/Camptonville. Both are bumpy AF. There are a couple roads that will take you from Henness Pass Rd into Downieville that I haven't been on.

My son and I did this route Sunday, on the way out of Rubithon one year, including the falls and the Bowman Lake option. It was a long day, but totally worth it. Making it to Gold Lake OHV camp on Sunday after Rubithon would be very doable.

Last edited:
I've done the Bowman to Bassett's (via meadow lake and Jackson's) Before. It's the bit from Bassetts (or Downeyville) up to Gold Lake and Spider lake that I've never done.

Bumping this as Rubithon 2020 is tentativly on the calendar.
If we are out there what else...?

Check out the movie I made from our recent fall trip. Takes you from Loon all the way out to Tahoma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom