Price Check isle 10 2F engine and Tranny combo (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My buddy found a 74 2f with 4 speed and about 60k on both what do you guys think it is worth? Side Note: This engine and tranny are out of Howie Longs FJ40. He has a lake house up here on Flathead Lake.

I was thinking $600-$750 tops. What do you guys think?

Man tranny's / tcases alone can cost up to $800...here in Canuckistan

Hmmmm.....I just started a thread about a '74 FJ55 that I'm selling. Turns out that the '74 is a transitional year between the F and 2F. You might want to double check the serial numbers to see what exactly he has because a '74 should have an F engine, not a 2F (it might be the "F 1.5" that is an F engine with the 2F oiling system and, therefore, sought after).

D'Animal - What are you thoughts, then, on what rsbcruiser said here?

"....Mountainman got it right. What you have there is the holy grail of the F engines. Treat her good. I hear but don't know for sure that the heads swap with the 2F, basically the same. 9 to 1 compresion domed pistons like the 2f, 4 rings per piston like the F. Non-bypass oil liltration like the 2f. f bore. So what it boils down to is all of the best features of both engines combined in one year. You are a lucky dog. Going to rebuild it? There are 0.040 over pistons available. If you do rebuild an f, make it the 74. ps Castings that year were some of the hardest. Right up there with the buick straight six. Harder is better to a point, higher wear resistance. my 74f only lost a 0.001 cylinder wall after who knows how many miles."

Just trying to learn, so please bear with me.... :)

2f

With the 4 speed it might be that they did a swap for a later model with the xfer, tranny, and engine all together

As far as the 1.5 I have heard people praise it, I'd just as soon have a 2f but if I found a 1.5 I would install it. I have heard people say they wouldn't bother rebuilding a 1F when it goes but not a 1.5.
(Unless they are into the SBC's)

oops let me add this------Here's a counter point----I just read this post by Poser--he knows better than me
https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/278543-f-1-5-engine-t-case.html

If it is a 2F then the vehicle mileage it is in is probably irrelevant and you will have to judge by compression and so on. If they know the engine only has 60K then that's a different story

I think you are probably ok on the price range you are thinking---considering the price of a rebuild or a crate engine it sounds pretty good

if it is a 2f the serial number should look like this
VID-engine-2F.jpg

Last edited:
I think the F.5 is better than the F, F135, F145 and F155, but not better than the 2F.

That is just my opinion though. I have seen all of them run great and I have seen all of them blown up.
I have seen Greenfoxes F.5 and it runs better than most 2F's.

Kroll Man tranny's / tcases alone can cost up to $800...here in Canuckistan

wow... thats pretty steep.... last 4speed and tcase that i picked up was $100

Man tranny's / tcases alone can cost up to $800...here in Canuckistan

Want to make a road trip south to me, I've got several early combos and slitcase combos hogging up floor space, I'd let'em go pretty cheap.

Want to make a road trip south to me, I've got several early combos and slitcase combos hogging up floor space, I'd let'em go pretty cheap.

Well I did find a whole drivetrain from an F for $250... i am going to claim that thing.
Got any H41's ???
Otherwise I'm good for now, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom