Pressure wash carpet and replace underlay (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Looking to remove my carpet and pressure wash the entire thing. Only concern is how to replace the underlay that is glued to the carpet? I looked at traditional carpet underlay, and was thinking of another adhesive type to act as sound deadening and a moisture barrier.

Other options would be to scrub the crap out of it by hand and not get the wanted results, or possibly rent an extractor to get all the dirt out. Also, if I use a carpet cleaner and extractor, do I risk damaging any electrical components under the carpet if it gets too wet?

Previous post mention pressure washing, but what to do with the underlay isn’t mentioned. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I pulled my carpet out, washed it, let it dry for a couple days in the heat, and reinstalled. I'm not sure what you mean with underlay, nothing is glued on mine, it's just regular carpet. 2007 LX470

I've pulled carpet and cleaned it with a pressure washer and extracted the water using the Rug Doctor machine. It was a hot summer and it dried in the sun fairly quickly as I recall. I've used the Rug Doctor with the upholstery cleaning attachment and cleaned it in the car. While it was slow using the Rug Doctor, it did a good job.

For the Hundy's cleaning, I plan to pull the carpet and drop it off by a carpet cleaner and get them to use the professional machine and chemicals. I'm sure the results will be good.

I pulled my carpet out, washed it, let it dry for a couple days in the heat, and reinstalled. I'm not sure what you mean with underlay, nothing is glued on mine, it's just regular carpet. 2007 LX470
My entire carpet has underlay glued to it, so did my 2000 Land Cruiser. If yours doesn’t I suspect someone already ripped it out.

Pic of my carpet
AF76F0BE-2C41-4D56-9C12-2FA576C5C2DF.jpeg

I've pulled carpet and cleaned it with a pressure washer and extracted the water using the Rug Doctor machine. It was a hot summer and it dried in the sun fairly quickly as I recall. I've used the Rug Doctor with the upholstery cleaning attachment and cleaned it in the car. While it was slow using the Rug Doctor, it did a good job.

For the Hundy's cleaning, I plan to pull the carpet and drop it off by a carpet cleaner and get them to use the professional machine and chemicals. I'm sure the results will be good.
What did you do with the underlay though when you pulled the carpet to pressure wash? That’s exactly what I want to do.

What did you do with the underlay though when you pulled the carpet to pressure wash? That’s exactly what I want to do.

I pulled it off the took it to the dump. Then used multiple layers of this type of carpet underlayment material that I got from Home Depot. It was placed on top of some eDead that I used on the metal floor pan for sound deadening. The previous owner had kid that s*it all over the carpets and the underlay smelled worse than you can imagine. It took a while to cut it out and fit it properly. I think this was $49 for a roll.

1595446382126.png

That wool padding underneath will dry out too, no worries, just take it out and pressure wash it and let it sit in the sun for a day or two and you're good

That wool padding underneath will dry out too, no worries, just take it out and pressure wash it and let it sit in the sun for a day or two and you're good
Good point, plus there is that rubber barrier I forgot about that should keep majority of the wool underlay dry.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom