Prescott "metro" cruisers. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been thinking about Smiley Rock Canyon lately. I last went through about three years ago, when I still had the stock Michelins on. This is the season to return there.
For those not familiar, it is a trail from the top of the Mingus/Black Hills range to Jerome by way of Perkinsville Rd. It is a mostly easy trail with a really rocky section in the middle. The last time that I went it was mid-June. The rough section was full of butterflies. When we slowed to a crawl to climb a rock, the ladies and kids just watched the butterflies flit around. The forest there is really beautiful.
We could go from IHOP, and be in Jerome in time for a late lunch. From Jerome back to IHOP is about 22 miles. It's a great day-trip run.
I could find the trail with a book and GPS. If anyone knows how to find it without such aids, you get to lead trail. Tag. you're it!
The next meet at IHOP is on July 18. Let's have some trail fun! We go!!!

Is that the trail the ends in Jerome at the mine? I remember going that way to Perkinsville once. Seems you basically drove through the parking lot near the mine entrance and took a winding road up to the trail.

Sounds pretty much like it, except that yours sounds backwards from the way I ran it. I went from Potato Patch thru a bunch of easy trails to the canyon. After running the canyon, we found Perkinsville Rd., and followed it to Jerome along the old railroad bed.

Mo-Gas called me tonight. We talked for a while. I have been waiting for this for some time.
We talked about ways to organize groups in NAZ in various places, and then to bring them together. We may do this with or without CSC. It would be best to have TLCA and CSC endorsement, but it is not necessary.
There has been some success in Prescott, and I understand that Mo-Gas has some folks in Flagstaff. Yet we have not found any recognition from the main club down south. Last month in Prescott, we had 10-12 trucks at IHOP, in and out. The month before, we had more.
Several of us in NAZ are CSC members, and we advocate club membership. Yet you cannot find a moment to let us know what the club is up to. Most of our people want to know what is going on. We can't be at the Sonic in Tempe every month. All it takes is an E-mail after the meet.
Are we a part of CSC, or not? Let us know!

If it matters, our usual meet consists of:
We meet for breakfast at 9AM. We eat eggs and hash browns. Then we meet outside at 10 AM. We talk for an hour. Or two. Then we decide whether we will go out to play. By then it is 11:00 or 12:00 AM.
We decide on a place to play. It is usually a rough trail in the vicinity. We have many of them to choose from. All of them are within a 20 minute drive. Or we may select a longer trip. Within 20 miles are Jerome and Wickenburg. The Hassayampa River or the Agua Fria stream. There are a great many fun trails within these areas.
We always have fun. We go wherever. It is always a lot of fun!

Last edited:
Man I havent been out to the Hassayampa for many years. What a great place to go. Im sure it has changed some but still a great wheeling spot to be sure!

I have never been there. I want to go. There is so much in the area that I have never explored. Let's check it out! See you on Aug, 15 at IHOP. You can lead on the trail. We go!
If you want to go sooner, post up!

Last edited:
BTW
Thanks to B-Man, Kevin and others for deleting some inappropropriate posts here. There was some invective thrown about that is not needed here. We are mostly about bringing new people into CSC, or related groups in Northern AZ. That is what we do on this thread. The harsh responses were counterproductive. Thank you for removing them. I, for one, appreciate that. Those things did not belong here. Thank you.

Last edited:
The church group tried and failed to run thru Martin Canyon to Smiley rock last weekend. I was glad that I declined the trip. I was just tired out.
At the meet, they seemed rather competent, but they apparently were not.
While still on pavement, they agreed to take a RAV-4 through the canyon. They also failed to account for the monsoon storm clouds overhead. That was the main reason that I elected to stay home. As they went along, it became clear that nobody in the group had any idea of the concept of a spotter, or that the canyon is not a park.
Steve was dropping over the first stair. He asked for a spotter. Nobody had any idea what that was! He was on his own. He dropped the rear on a rock, kinking the fuel line.
These guys were content to leave his truck out there. We in CSC will not leave so much as a beer can out there. These guys were willing to leave a whole truck! What is wrong with these people?
After some trail damage, Steve limped his truck home. One Jeep never made it back. They never even made it into any real rough trails.
The trip was a failure. Go figure!

Last edited:
The August meet kinda snuck up on me. The third Saturday is tomarrow. It is a bit early, as the third Friday for the Valley folk is next week. I will be at IHOP in the AM.
I hope to see most of you anyway. See you there!

For September, we have a little problem. Our Saturday morning is the same day as the Fossil Creek cleanup. My suggestion is that if anyone can be at Fossil Creek to help out, you should go. It is a lot of fun in a great cause. Look for a thread here on CSC for location and details. Ask for directions from the north end of the road in, and directions to the usual campsite. Be ready to put in a real day of work. Then expect to be well-fed by the CSC club. The Toyota team does the cooking.
Fossil Creek is a truly beautiful area that is in real danger of being closed to the public. That would just be wrong. Cleaning it up helps to keep it open. Plan to meet some really great people there and to work with them to clean up the area. Last year we hauled out several tons of trash.
We can meet at IHOP the next week, or next month. I will be at IHOP the following week. We are all so formal here! Just go to the cleanup if you can.
I have two different groups of out-of-town company showing up that weekend. We haven't seen either of them in several years. I am stuck at home, but not exactly. I will be in Jerome, going on trails from there. I will also be entertaining an 80-year-old lady, and a 6-month old baby, as well as two 15-month--olds. I might be a bit busy!

Correction;
I will likely be in town for the usual meet on Saturday 19 Sept. I have to leave by 10:30 AM to drive to Jerome to meet some friends. I will be there to see those of you who can't go to the clean-up at Fossil Creek.
If you are able to go to Fossil Creek and lend a hand, do so. If you can't, I'll see you at IHOP, briefly. Then you are on your own.
See you again in October!

A further correction;
If any of you who are not able to go to Fossil Creek can be at IHOP before ten AM, it would be helpful.
We may have a couple of new folk showing up. It matters that we have a Land Cruiser in the lot by 10 AM.
Some of my company who are in town came from very far away to visit and tour NAZ. The lady is from the Philipine islands. Their schedule requires me to meet them in Jerome well before the usual meet time. So I may not even be able to make our usual meet.
If one of you guys could be there, I would appreciate it.
If you have an idea of where to play in the Jerome area after they head back to the airport, let me know. As long as I am there, it would be great to meet some of you, and have a bit of fun. They will be leaving by about 1 PM. Maybe we can play on a trail in the afternoon.:clap:

Tomarrow is IHOP day again. It snuck up on me. I will be there.
Can't believe it's been a month already. Time flies when you're having fun.
See you all there!

Sorry that I don't know of a better way to do this, but I just got a 74 Fj and I live in Chino Valley. How do I get in contact with fellow Cruiser owners in the tri city area? Jeep owners are all around me but I don't know any other TLC owners around here.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sorry to all. I have been somewhat computer-phobic lately. Whenever I turn the thing on, it takes several hours to get thru E-mail, this site, Facebook, and business. I never seem to get to it until bedtime, and it takes me away from my beauty rest!
For you folks who have asked how to get in touch, be at the IHOP in Prescott Valley on the third Saturday of every month at 10AM. We park and meet on the north side of the lot near Wendy's. We are loosely connected to CSC in the southern part of the state in that many of us are members of that club. We have the same kind of loose connection to TLCA. Some of us are members, and we pay attention to what they are doing.
During the holidays, we have a low turn-out. It is too cold to go wheeling, and everyone is busy with plans for visiting family. But we do our best.
The November meet is this week on Nov. 21. I have to be up in Chino at 8:30 AM for a pinewood derby with my daughter. I may be able to get away to meet with Land Cruisers in Prescott Valley at 10 AM. Then I have to be back in Chino to see our race car win or lose soon after.
The December meet is the 19th. I will certainly be there.

Working Saturday's is no good. I am not gonna be able to make the Dec meet either.

Hey Appolyon, Good to hear that we have another 80 drivin, rock climbing, eagle scout in town. Too bad your six month's out. I'm trying to get a job that will require me to relocate, So I may be gone by the time you get back to town. I've got the garage with alomost every tool that I need. Although it is pretty cold this time of year. And I live south of Prescott too. In Ponderosa Park. And I'm a pilot too! What a coincidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom