Premium or Luxury when lifting? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, first time poster here who has been researching GX’s recently with the idea of trading my 4R Pro for one. My plans for it are a small lift, tires, sliders, bumper, etc. I know what all the different trims and options offer but am having trouble deciding which route to go on spec.

In a perfect world I would prefer to go all out with lux trim for the off road package for MTS/Crawl and the panoramic camera. (‘22-‘23 MY) However I have heard there are concerns and challenges with installing a lift in place of the factory air suspension. Mainly things like error codes but still I’d prefer to not have my dash looking like a Christmas Tree.

The sweet spot for value seems to be Premium Plus and would obviously be a straight forward install regarding the lift since it uses traditional coil springs and shocks but then giving up on the MTS/Crawl and camera upgrades. I can live with out the camera, not sure about the off road goodies tho. I’m pretty novice with wheeling and they have been nice to have in my experience on the trail in my 4R.

TLDR. If you were buying a new GX with plans to lift, do you go with Premium or Lux and why?

Premium. You can install the MTS/crawl system but the cameras are a different animal.

I don’t think there is a mod (yet) to add MTS/Crawl on the ‘22-‘23. Fingers crossed there will be soon.
Oh that mod stops with the ‘21?

Correct, but when '20+ retrofits are confirmed it will be a mod with far more complexity and cost. Existing 10-19 crawl/MTS mods are easily reversible while '20+ will be far more invasive and will require wiring as well. I'm not certain we will see much more progress until basic warranties start to expire by those interested in pursuing mod.

It may somewhat follow the lines of what has been done on 4R and 200 series

Last edited:
If you like all the bells and whistles, I'd go with that, because even if there are issues with lifts this year? Next year or the one after someone will have developed a fix.
These vehicles are too popular for people to leave un-modded.
The reason I purchased my 2013 in 2018 was because at the time there were no steel bumpers for winches available for the 2014+ models with the spindle grills. But sure enough bumpers became available.
Get what you want, and whatever you'd like to do to it, if it's not available now, will be soon. In the mean time, you can still enjoy all the beautiful features and comfort of your new GX460!

Last edited:
If you want the MTS/Crawl/Cameras then you have to go with the Luxury and deal with the rear air suspension delete. The '22+ with the new center stack dash is different from the '20-21's that have the old center stack dash so that'll be a different monster altogether for adding Crawl/MTS because the hardware is different. The pre-2020's only required the switch system but the '22+ will require an altogether different portion of the center stack and I fear that will be costly to the tune of possibly not being worth the expense and trouble.

And to add to Tex68w, an option to MTS or Crawl Control is just adding front and rear lockers. You can do that on any year GX.
Albeit, using them will not be as brainless as all the fancy electronics, and lockers will make a LOT less noise than some of the electronic options, but there's something to be said about going old school with lockers.

And to add to Tex68w, an option to MTS or Crawl Control is just adding front and rear lockers. You can do that on any year GX.
Albeit, using them will not be as brainless as all the fancy electronics, and lockers will make a LOT less noise than some of the electronic options, but there's something to be said about going old school with lockers.

This is exactly what I would suggest should you find yourself using the vehicle in ways and in areas that deem the need for lockers. I have MTS/Crawl in the Cruiser and I still added a rear locker.

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom