Premature U-joint wear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

🍿🍺

"The recommended grease for roller bearings is lithium grease. Bearing assemblies like wheel bearings and the needle bearings in the drive shaft are some of the items that use lithium grease.

A Moly type grease is for high pressure assemblies like tie rod ends and birfields where parts slide on each other verses rolling on each other."

Lithium based moly fortified grease up to 5% moly content is generally considered ok for roller bearings, and recommended for stuff under heavy load in harsh/dirty conditions.

Looking at wear in some uni joints I've pulled apart, it's debatable whether the needles actually roll given the narrow range of oscillation back and forth, or slide back and forth. Particularly as they age.
I've pulled apart unis where the rollers bearing the most load are worn almost flat on one surface from rocking back and forth, not round.

Fresh grease of any kind is better than dirty grease of the ideal type.

Lithium based moly fortified grease up to 5% moly content is generally considered ok for roller bearings, and recommended for stuff under heavy load in harsh/dirty conditions.

Looking at wear in some uni joints I've pulled apart, it's debatable whether the needles actually roll given the narrow range of oscillation back and forth, or slide back and forth. Particularly as they age.
I've pulled apart unis where the rollers bearing the most load are worn almost flat on one surface from rocking back and forth, not round.

Fresh grease of any kind is better than dirty grease of the ideal type.
Do you

Sounds like the wear is from excessive angles.

Not feeling vibrations doesn’t automatically indicate the drive angles are ok.

For instance it’s quite common for lifts in the 4” range to only have a deceleration vibration. That’s because during moderate load the vibration is muted due to the stress the u-joints are under.

"The recommended grease for roller bearings is lithium grease. Bearing assemblies like wheel bearings and the needle bearings in the drive shaft are some of the items that use lithium grease.

A Moly type grease is for high pressure assemblies like tie rod ends and birfields where parts slide on each other verses rolling on each other."

20220914_212652.jpg

The Bible (fsm) says to use MP grease. But like others have mentioned. Pretty much any grease at regular intervals will work.

I like Lucas red n tacky which is an extreme pressure mp grease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom