Pre-purchase Inspection - Opinions please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. I'm 98% ready to buy my 2003 GX. It has 177k miles. Maintenance records are pretty up to date and the timing belt was done at 94k miles. Its almost about time for the next one so I'll make sure I cover all my bases when it comes to that one. I'm not as experienced so I decide it to take it to nearest Lexus dealership for a pre-purchase inspection. Here is what they told me:

I'm not concerned about the brake flush, tires and alignment since I planned on doing those anyway. Valve cover gaskets I can do whenever the new timing belt kit and water pump go in. Rack and pinion felt fine when I drove the GX for almost 2 hours so I don't think it needs immediate attention. CV Boot Kit I think like everything else it is overpriced but I guess doesn't concern me as much as the Rear Main Seal. That will be my main concern since I know its a lot or work to replace those. Thoughts??

TIA

Are you leaking oil like crazy? Sometimes the dealer will recommend replacing seals and valve cover gaskets because there's a hint of oil seeping out. Not a leak, but a smear of oil.

Did they explain why these things were needed? Is the steering loose?

When I took my 2003 GX470 to the dealer to get a 40-point inspection with my AAA coupon for a $40 oil/filter change, they recommended about $3k worth of repairs which I eventually did for about a third of the price at indy mechanics.

If the valve covers are leaking...guess where it goes? To the back and bottom of the engine. It can make it look like a rear main, but that is rare. I would get under there and inspect yourself.

Thanks for the answers. I bought it, removed the plastic engine cover and surprise, I'm in bad need of new valve cover gaskets. I've read some people suggest re-torquing the screws but I'm just going to play it safe and replace them with OEM new ones. While I'm in there, anything else you guys suggest I change?

Thanks for the answers. I bought it, removed the plastic engine cover and surprise, I'm in bad need of new valve cover gaskets. I've read some people suggest re-torquing the screws but I'm just going to play it safe and replace them with OEM new ones. While I'm in there, anything else you guys suggest I change?
Replace spark plugs at the same time if they haven’t been done. My valve cover was pouring out oil when it hit colder temps. It was a Florida vehicle and I live in Montana. Here is what we found when I removed the valve cover.

12B62E17-2EB6-4559-931E-A890A1548DF8.jpeg

Hello fellow mudders. I thought it would be better to hop on this post instead of creating a new one. Just purchased an 04 gx470 with 150k miles. Got a great deal on the truck but unfortunately it came with very little service history. I was told the timing belt was done at 100k but there’s no sticker to prove that. Hardly any info on the Lexus site other than a replacement dash at 138k which is nice.
The first order of business is taking care of the oil leak at the valve cover gaskets. Both sides are leaking pretty badly. I took the car in for an oil change as soon as I bought it and now that the level is topped off the leak is bad. Going to try and tackle it myself and was looking for any links to threads that could make it easier. There’s not a ton of info in this 120 forum compared to the 100 series. Based on some reading in 100 forum I noticed people aren’t super concerned with oem gaskets. I found a set on rock auto from fel-pro that come with both gaskets and spark plug gaskets. Any feedback on if this kit would be ok to run? I also figure that while I’m in there I should do spark plugs too. Recommendations on plugs? Perhaps better to go oem on those?
I would really appreciate any help and insight. Hopefully once I get the truck to stop pouring oil on the garage floor I can make a proper introductory post with some pictures. Thank you.

Hello fellow mudders. I thought it would be better to hop on this post instead of creating a new one. Just purchased an 04 gx470 with 150k miles. Got a great deal on the truck but unfortunately it came with very little service history. I was told the timing belt was done at 100k but there’s no sticker to prove that. Hardly any info on the Lexus site other than a replacement dash at 138k which is nice.
The first order of business is taking care of the oil leak at the valve cover gaskets. Both sides are leaking pretty badly. I took the car in for an oil change as soon as I bought it and now that the level is topped off the leak is bad. Going to try and tackle it myself and was looking for any links to threads that could make it easier. There’s not a ton of info in this 120 forum compared to the 100 series. Based on some reading in 100 forum I noticed people aren’t super concerned with oem gaskets. I found a set on rock auto from fel-pro that come with both gaskets and spark plug gaskets. Any feedback on if this kit would be ok to run? I also figure that while I’m in there I should do spark plugs too. Recommendations on plugs? Perhaps better to go oem on those?
I would really appreciate any help and insight. Hopefully once I get the truck to stop pouring oil on the garage floor I can make a proper introductory post with some pictures. Thank you.
Here is a link to the step by step DIY.

Used the fel-pro kit on mine. Found it for super cheap on amazon. Seems to be working great. Also go with denso spark plugs. Same as OEM. On sale from advance auto for $6.95 a piece after you put in the coupon code at the top of the website.

Used the fel-pro kit on mine. Found it for super cheap on amazon. Seems to be working great. Also go with denso spark plugs. Same as OEM. On sale from advance auto for $6.95 a piece after you put in the coupon code at the top of the website.

Thank you for the quick response. This forum is the best. Ordering the kit from fel-pro now on rock auto. They have iridium Denso plugs as well for $4.70. Denso 5304?

Thank you for the quick response. This forum is the best. Ordering the kit from fel-pro now on rock auto. They have iridium Denso plugs as well for $4.70. Denso 5304?

I ordered these at a higher price:
New Denso 3297 iridium spark plugs SK20R11 long life

Used the fel-pro kit on mine. Found it for super cheap on amazon. Seems to be working great.

Question: When you did yours, did you have to change the half moons in the back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom