Pre + Post filter recommendations. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gleaning the collective wisdom of all those who have gone on before me.

Looking for recommendations for pre and post filters on a Holley Sniper installation. Bone stock 76 2F, desmogged with a “Marks header”..

1. Inline pump TBD
2. Pre filter in the 100 micron variety. 6AN
3. Post filter in the 40-ish micron range. 6AN
4. Cost is a consideration but not a screening criteria.
5. Runnng hard Lines (so far in the planning) to/from Sniper.

Also, thinking of using a stock glass bowl filter as a post filter mounted in the stock location. Anyone doing this? Does it pass the universal common sense test? Would this be to far removed from the pump to be effective?

I like the idea of being able to “see“ what’s making it past the pump.

As always, many thanks to the colllective....

I went with capping the Sniper's return port and using a regulated filter after the Walbro 392 and a basic Wix prefilter on the frame, so there's only one fuel line to the Sniper vs two. That's more like what Mosley does, but can also do two lines and use the regulator in the Sniper...both work.

I wouldn't trust the glass bowl (and its gaskets) for the higher pressures used for injection, especially if you're using the regulator in the Sniper. EFI uses 60+psi, whereas a carb would've been more like 6.

Last edited:
I have a 3fe in my truck. I use a 100 micron filter on the suction side of the pump. The pump is a Bosch unit I found on ebay. You can find the Bosch fuel pump catalog on line, watch for a bargain on ebay for one that meets your specs.

I went with capping the Sniper's return port and using a regulated filter after the Walbro 392 and a basic Wix prefilter on the frame, so there's only one fuel line to the Sniper vs two. That's more like what Mosley does, but can also do two lines and use the regulator in the Sniper...both work.

I wouldn't trust the glass bowl (and its gaskets) for the higher pressures used for injection, especially if you're using the regulator in the Sniper. EFI uses 60+psi, whereas a carb would've been more like 6.

In Ref: Fuel line pressures. Are you using hard lines throughout your installation? Do you have any standard “rubber” fuel line from your tank to prefilter, prefilter to pump, pump to post filter, post filter to Sniper? If you have a pick, can you kick it over the fence to me.

Mine is pretty similar to factory - dual hardlines down the frame rail, although I also have the electric fuel pump there on the rail as well. There's two rubber lines from the frame up through the tub to the tank, similar to OEM for feed and return, and one short rubber line between the frame and the engine block up front to absorb flex. I ran one single hardline around the front to the Sniper, as my post-pump fuel filter was the self-regulated variety...but the routing was the same as the OEM carb hardlines.

I know there's a few here that did the unregulated filter, and ran dual lines all the way up to the Sniper - both suffice for sure.

I'm actually editing the video on my install this week, but here's a few photos as well from the pile for now...can see the lines on the rail and the filters. ProjectWrongWay had a decent capture as well, but I don't recall which style he ran for the fuel setup offhand.

PXL_20210718_210557885.MP.jpg
PXL_20210901_193430681.MP.jpg

@zerotreedelta

Very nice work. I like the hard lines, it makes sense to me. That’s the setup I have swimming around in my head. Are you using all AN-6 to 3/8 fuel line as well? Thanks for taking the time to post the pics!!

looking forward to your vid(s)....:popcorn:

Summit now sells an LS style regulator/filter with AN fittings installed. I didn’t like the push on connectors with the hardlines so used a holley regulator and filter instead. The AN fittings solved that issue and will save you some $$ to use the combo unit if you go that route.

@Jdc1
@zerotreedelta

I like it, I like it....I have a box full of Earls AN-6 and the 3/8 standing by. You guys did a nice job on the install. Not thrilled with drilling into the frame rail, but I think the system, mounted anywhere else, would tend to resonate. How satisfied are you with your pumps? Not that noise is an issue. I’ve read through most of the recommendations IE Holley, Walbro Bosch etc etc. seems that everyone has a favorite. Just like the filters, I’m looking for solid performance, reasonable cost and the ease of maintaining the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom