Pre-03 nav delete how-to (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On the 2002's the climate controls are not on the touch screen like the later 100's. However, they do have climate controls on the top of the screen & dash pod. It looks they have included the climate controls within this unit and moved them to the bottom. Would love to know if this unit actually works.
Mine's 2002, VIN JTEHT05J122023124 you can check. Below photo of my AC Touch Screen:

IMG_4307.png

Last edited:
😂😂😂. I sent a message. Let’s see if they respond.
I sent a message also, they respond to "it's compatible with your plugs but you have to change your bezel to nav then install it" and sent to me the product plugs.
9'' CarPlay.png

What's written in Chinese is "Can be installed"
9 22 CarPlay plugs.png

but still I'm not convinced, I'm afraid it doesn't fit my plugs. I asked if doesn't fit can I return it? they says Yes

Last edited:
I sent a message also, they respond to "it's compatible with your plugs but you have to change your bezel to nav then install it" and sent to me the product plugs.
View attachment 3567487
What's written in Chinese is "Can be installed"
View attachment 3567488
but still I'm not convinced, I'm afraid it doesn't fit my plugs. I asked if doesn't fit can I return it? they says Yes
What does that mean? Change the bezel to Nav?

What does that mean? Change the bezel to Nav?
What I have is "non-nav bezel", so they said first change it "nav bezel" then the product will be compatible with you.
from this bezel (What I have now):
Non-navigate.png

to this one:
Navigate.png

But they're wrong because it's not that easy just buy "nav bezel" then the there product and install them. I have to manipulating with my "non-nav" bezel's wire harness to make it work.

Last edited:
So I just completed this on a 02 LX470 and everything worked perfectly. Thanks to all who contributed.

My story is different. My 02 LX had the error message "check the connection to the air conditioner"
I went through all power wires, all grounds and ohmed to all the different pieces that are part of the ac system . Nothing
I put a perfectly working 02 LX next to it and swapped every AC part and the nav unit under the seat and the gateway. Everything in the non working car worked in the working car and nothing from the working car worked in the non working car.
I took the FSM and a chart and checked power, ground etc at every single wire of the working car and compared to the non working car and nothing.
After probably 50 hours with the FSM and an ohm/volt meter I was at a loss.
A friend who is very good at wiring spent 2 days with the FSM and nothing. He wasn't happy he was beat by the car as well
I decided to do this swap and if that didnt work I was going to put vintage air in it. I just did vintage air in my 3rd GEN Trans AM.

Well I took a knob ac setup out of 2000 LC, did the swap and it worked perfect.

I'll never know why it wouldn't work. I dont even care to know at this point.
If I see that message again and the fuses and the part swap doesn't work Ill go straight to this conversion.

So I just completed this on a 02 LX470 and everything worked perfectly. Thanks to all who contributed.

My story is different. My 02 LX had the error message "check the connection to the air conditioner"
I went through all power wires, all grounds and ohmed to all the different pieces that are part of the ac system . Nothing
I put a perfectly working 02 LX next to it and swapped every AC part and the nav unit under the seat and the gateway. Everything in the non working car worked in the working car and nothing from the working car worked in the non working car.
I took the FSM and a chart and checked power, ground etc at every single wire of the working car and compared to the non working car and nothing.
After probably 50 hours with the FSM and an ohm/volt meter I was at a loss.
A friend who is very good at wiring spent 2 days with the FSM and nothing. He wasn't happy he was beat by the car as well
I decided to do this swap and if that didnt work I was going to put vintage air in it. I just did vintage air in my 3rd GEN Trans AM.

Well I took a knob ac setup out of 2000 LC, did the swap and it worked perfect.

I'll never know why it wouldn't work. I dont even care to know at this point.
If I see that message again and the fuses and the part swap doesn't work Ill go straight to this conversion.
Say what??????

Are you doing the Nav delete?

Did you start with non-nav bezel and AC controls?

I do not understand how you got a “check the connection to the air conditioner” message. Unless you were just using the wiring schematics to repair your existing non-functional air-conditioning.

I had a non working Nav AC system. That is the message I received on the nav unit. I converted to non nav controls and it fixed whatever was wrong with it.

I had a non working Nav AC system. That is the message I received on the nav unit. I converted to non nav controls and it fixed whatever was wrong with it.
Most likely a failed AC computer

@mario65 I get that same message, check the connection… on my 05 LC. It is only after a heavy rain event a goes away if I restart the vehicle. I follow this thread as well bc my daughter drives an 02 LC and I want to update her tech as well. CarPlay…

How hard was the conversion? I do t have access to a wiring guru like you did.

Eagerly awaiting your review. Thanks for being the guinea pig.
So I finally received the unit from AliExpress, it’s actually well built and packaged well so that was a plus. However I am waiting for help from the seller on the wiring harness that comes with it, I’ve got it to power on and play music but the buttons at the bottom and climate control does not work. You do retain the black box behind the nav unit, I believe it’s an “AC amplifier” in order for climate controls to work. I’ll update again once I hear back and figure this out more!

So my project is complete - successful - but a little more involved. There are a lot of great write ups here so I will try to just add to and not repeat anything. First of all I want to underscore what was written in 360: the Mark Levinson factory amp was unable to respond to my new head unit, and required a significant departure of plan for me, but the outcome was better than I had planned!
Here’s the money shot:
View attachment 1991580

My parts list included:
Climate controls from a wrecked land cruiser
Sony XAV-X1000 head unit
Rockford Fosgate R14X2 - 4” speakers for the rear doors
Rockford Fosgate R165-S - component speakers for the front doors
Sound Ordnance B-8PTD slim powered sub (this thing is awesome and I’m so glad I got it!)
4” and 6.5” speaker baffles slim-line depth - cheap, although I’m not sure they do much, they were easy to add between the new speakers and the plastic speaker baskets in the doors.
Crutchfield CK10 - amp/sub install kit
EFX 9-wire ultra flex speaker wire 12’
Metra 70-8113
The antenna splitter mentioned earlier, antenna adapter, solder seal connectors (lots of the red ones!), one of those pencil torches and fuel
I ordered 560-DNW1DW10 from Mouser Electronics - tiny bulbs for the climate control - I got 10 because one of them was out, and they ended up having that orange cast so I am glad that I replaced them all - they were $.56 ea, the shipping was pricier.
Here’s some random pics that I thought might be helpful:

View attachment 1991581
The foam speaker baffle installed behind the speaker. Creates an air tight space? Is that important?

View attachment 1991583
I didn’t notice until later that these four wires, which needed to be switched around following the wiring pin out map, were wrapped together... anyways I went to the hassle of stripping that white and green wrap around the four wires, and basically could’ve left it, so that was 2-3m of time wasted.

View attachment 1991584
There’s some vague language in here about “grabbing the left door speaker” from the Nav DVD drive plug - that’s true! Basically the factory Mark Levinson w/Nav setup sends sound: head unit -> amp -> speakers EXCEPT the front door sound goes from amp -> Nav DVD -> Speaker; so you are looking for two pairs of pink & purple wires by my finger in one of the Nav DVD drive plugs, and you’ve gotta pull those through the bundle to find the 2’ Section that goes amp -> Nav, and the wires that go from Nav -> speakers. This whole thing is assuming you want to use the existing speaker wires in your new setup. As you can see here, I connected the 9wire bundle from my head unit to the existing speaker wires. That worked super well. No reason to run new wires. I used solder seal connectors here after confirming everything was working properly.
View attachment 1991585
This thing is great! I hate how it sits in there, but there isn’t a lot of options unless I move it to the back or I start trimming carpet around. I ran the power through the driver’s firewall, behind the pedals under the carpet, and up under the gear shift trim, then under the carpet there where the awful stain is on the carpet. It’s a little janky of a setup but the wire shouldn’t shift or rub, and isn’t being pinched.

So, that’s the tale of my Nav Delete! Removed the factory amp, new speakers, etc... the sound is amazing, and I love the conversion to manual climate knobs. So much easier. I do not really know what I am doing with this, and I made it work, so anybody can do this.

Also, as previously mentioned, through the classifieds here and eBay I have sold everything but the amp and speakers so far, and I’m basically back to $0. Which is good, because it means my truck is very close to receiving a TJM T17!
I’ve got an 01 LX, ML with Nav, I’m in the middle of nav delete and want to run a 9 wire bundle from my headunit, under the seat to bypass the ML amp. I’m still super confused on how the connections are made. Any tips?

So I finally received the unit from AliExpress, it’s actually well built and packaged well so that was a plus. However I am waiting for help from the seller on the wiring harness that comes with it, I’ve got it to power on and play music but the buttons at the bottom and climate control does not work. You do retain the black box behind the nav unit, I believe it’s an “AC amplifier” in order for climate controls to work. I’ll update again once I hear back and figure this out more!
Do not get it! Say no to the AliExpress unit that supposedly works for 98-02 LX/LC. Maybe it only works for overseas, who knows. At least for my 2001 LX Mark Levinson with Navigation, the wiring harness they send with it didn’t work. The radio powers up fine but none of the climate controls work. I ended up returning it and doing the pre-03 nav delete!! Much easier than it looks, and so much happier with the result.

I tried to be the guinea pig! Hopefully it’ll save some others some headaches, just bite the bullet and do the nav delete!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom