Pre 03 Factory NAV to Double Din, Climate Knobs Conversion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Or on eBay to recoup the $600 cost of buying RobRed's wire harness.

Has anybody done this yet or is this all just talk that it can be done? I know there is a lot of people who want this done. Your hands are tied on anything with factory navigation and that sucks.

If anybody has done this or tried please chime in. I want to do it.

It's all just talk.

There are two tracks here:

1. pre 03 with factory nav
2. 03-07 with nav

With time and money any of this can be accomplished, period.

I have looked at the wiring for track 1 and based on my review it can be done. I dont have pre-03 nav truck so I havent personally done it. Before I bought my 100 I did a lot of research about this, looking at other market vehicles etc and determined that I would make the swap if I found a deal on nav equipped truck. This is not a trivial project but not impossible either.

The down side is that it will likely take time and effort with your center console apart and so far no one has committed to it. This thread was started by the OP to explore the option and has been quiet for a while, in my opinion because its a lot of work.

As I asked earlier, some what tongue in cheek, would you pay $600 for a plug-n-play wire harness? Still needing the other components to finish the conversion. I'm thinking about building one but the time and materials are extensive.

Not quite $600 but if I had a plug an play harness I would definitely start buying up everything necessary. Only reason I have not jumped on this yet is because I do not trust my electical abilities to by up to par with a job like this.

I would definitely get a plug and play harness and sell all my nav stuff. I planned on spending more than a grand to buy a sound processor so i could make the factory sound system something of worth, but the navigation will always be sub par even to my outdated Garmin Nuvi. If you build the harness you will have a market.

Why do you have the price set at $600? I am not trying to be rude, but am wondering what cost of materials and the amount of estimated time would be.

Oh I dont think it's rude at all... I pulled $600 out of my ass just to see if anyone had a comment on it - sort of a serious/dedication test.

I'll have to look at the market and see what's out there... the engineering time, the materials to do it right (color coded wires, quality connectors etc). How many would I sell? Since I dont need it for my own truck then this becomes a side job if you catch my drift.

Oh I dont think it's rude at all... I pulled $600 out of my ass just to see if anyone had a comment on it - sort of a serious/dedication test.

I'll have to look at the market and see what's out there... the engineering time, the materials to do it right (color coded wires, quality connectors etc). How many would I sell? Since I dont need it for my own truck then this becomes a side job if you catch my drift.

I would pay $600 in a heartbeat to be able to ditch my Nav unit and go to double din. That plus $200-300 for a 98-02 non-nav climate control panel and then $700-1000 for a HU. Seems like a lot up front but it finally eliminates my biggest annoyance while in the driver's seat. Also, I agree that this is not an impossible task. I will just take someone with a few days off carefully reviewing the EWD and mapping wire connections. I had this on my list of to-do items but other parts of my build just keep taking precedence.

As for selling it, word would get around on the various forums and there would be link-backs to this thread (or a new thread you create once it is complete and you have verified that it works). Cool thing about this project is that it is 95% R&D. Once you figure it out, making or having the connector harness made is relatively simple. I also think that people would understand a high premium for something like this. All I would be concerned with is someone buying one, copying it, and then undercutting you.

I would be interested also. If you could come up with a kit telling you what to buy with part #'s and the wiring harness pepole will pay. $600 may be a little high but if you had the time and knowledge you could make some money. This is going to be a bigger problem as time goes on.

For an '03+ conversion its nearly $2k parts alone. Just the wiring harness you'd need for the non-nav counterpart is something like $1200.

I'm thinking the simplest solution is to purchase the climate control system you want from a salvage yard, along with hacking off the end of the harness that feeds into it. All of the terminals are retained in the connector housings with a spring loaded latch so they can all be separated from the connector housings. My suspicion is that the terminals from your harness wire ends would clip into the replacement climate control unit connector housings.

The biggest hassle to all of this is cross mapping the harness you have to the climate control and audio control you want to have. Sourcing connector housings to make pigtail harnesses to convert from one style to another is not a trivial task.

I worked for a conversion vehicle business where we had to extend the harnesses that go to the rear of a Sienna because we put in a new floor/subframe. A task that I never finished was to come up with clip-in harness extensions so that we could stop cutting and splicing in wire extensions on the massive bundle. Yazaki is the primary supplier of harnesses (parts and assemblies) to Toyota. Getting the right mating connectors was nearly impossible and sometimes took months, and I had to order them in bulk. Some connectors housings don't have mating connectors that are designed to be turned into harness ends because they are for attaching to PWAs.

I would recommend that someone who wants to do this takes the time to map out the function of every wire on the pre-'03 non-nav models and then do the same to the '03-'07 integrated nav units and see what the difference is. then it's just a matter of swapping out wires into the new connector housings or cutting off the old connectors and soldering the wires to the back of the spiked wires from the replacement connectors that you got from the salvage yard.

Here is one way of getting a better system on a 2003+. Still have to get hvac controls tho' if you have navi. Note that the price is in Rubels.
Google Translate

pfran42 said:
All I would be concerned with is someone buying one, copying it, and then undercutting you.

This.

Deal!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom