Prado Taillight Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wired mine up tonight. Reverse lights work turn signals work. But no light from passenger brake lamp, park or brake. What wires are for the passenger brake lights? I dont have a wiring diagram. Any ideas. Thanks brother!

They look awesome at night. No pictures of that though. Sorry.

20200830_152129.jpg

20201031_114630.jpg

You were able to wire up with working reverse.
JDM Prado Taillights Install and wire for reverse light . . .

Install/Write Up

Start by removing your taillights.
Their are 2 10mm bolts on each side
Having a plastic tool to pop the taillight helps.
Remember facing the taillight pull towards you or else you could brake the tabs for the clips.
Once remove, un-clip the connector from the back of the taillight.
Make sure to have some shrink wrap 16 gauge cable and connectors to make the job easy.
On the edge of the trunk there's a door sill, pop off the small covers using a small flat head.
Once the covers are popped off you'll see some philip head screws, remove those.
Once the screws are removed simply pull the door sill towards you, on the outer edges their connected to the interior quarter panel.
Remove the cargo net hooks by push in and twist, and pull.
Inside you'll see another philips head, go ahead and remove it.

Now its a nice time to test your taillight, on the driver side your Brake/Parking light and turn signal should work.

Make sure to order Qty. 2 of 82998-12340 from your local Toyota dealer.

On the passenger side you need to re-pin the connector having the write tool for the job makes it super simple.
Basically your transfering over the 2 terminals on the right to the left. See image for help.
Open up the passenger side interior quarter trim you'll see a blue connector.
On that blue connector remove the tape around it to expose all the cables. You want to tap in to a Red/Blue Cable should be the 3rd one from left to right.
Once you tap in to the cable using the correct cables go ahead and attach about 6ft of 16 gauge wire to it.
Helps to check with a tester every time to make sure your taping in to the correct wire.

Here is the part were it was tricky for me.
I used a long zip tie I had from the out side.to the inside to fish out the terminal you'll be connecting to the connector.
The terminal will be going in on the the bottom right if your looking at the connector from the back, see images for help.
Once you clip the terminal to the connector go ahead and finish it off with electrical tape for that OEM look.

On the opposite end I put a connector end and tapped in to the wire that i had added when I first tapped in to the GX's harness.
On the rear door sill you'll see some wires going to the driver side, I simply used some small zip ties and use that route for the drivers side taillight.

I used a connector to connect to the terminal and finished it off with some heat shrink cable wrap.
For the driver side is the same as the passenger side, terminal goes on the bottom right if your looking at the connector from the back.

Afterwards go ahead and finish it off with some electrical tape.

I went ahead and re routed the connector from the top hole of the body to the center, drivers side was really simple but passengers side was more difficult due to the space but so much easier to connect to the taillights.

Hopefully this helps some body out there if any question feel free to ask.

If my write up helps you finish up your Prado taillights post your pics . . .

View attachment 2212693View attachment 2212694View attachment 2212695View attachment 2212696View attachment 2212697

I am getting the JW tire carrier and currently have the stock lights. I am planning to upgrade to the clear/red tail lights. Do you think this can be accomplished in the red/white stock GX470 tail lights? Basically, i want to wire the clear part as my reverse, one red for turn signal and one for brake lights.

I am getting the JW tire carrier and currently have the stock lights. I am planning to upgrade to the clear/red tail lights. Do you think this can be accomplished in the red/white stock GX470 tail lights? Basically, i want to wire the clear part as my reverse, one red for turn signal and one for brake lights.

I don't see why you wont be able to, you would just need play around with the pigtails to get it to work.

I've got a set of the Prado lights sitting in my garage that I'd love to sell if anybody's looking....

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Instructions and pictures were really helpful. Got mine done with reverse lights. On the blue connector along the passenger side quarter panel, there are 2-3 red and blue wires. The one you want is right in the middle. Follow the OP picture.

JDM Prado Taillights Install and wire for reverse light . . .

Install/Write Up

Start by removing your taillights.
Their are 2 10mm bolts on each side
Having a plastic tool to pop the taillight helps.
Remember facing the taillight pull towards you or else you could brake the tabs for the clips.
Once remove, un-clip the connector from the back of the taillight.
Make sure to have some shrink wrap 16 gauge cable and connectors to make the job easy.
On the edge of the trunk there's a door sill, pop off the small covers using a small flat head.
Once the covers are popped off you'll see some philip head screws, remove those.
Once the screws are removed simply pull the door sill towards you, on the outer edges their connected to the interior quarter panel.
Remove the cargo net hooks by push in and twist, and pull.
Inside you'll see another philips head, go ahead and remove it.

Now its a nice time to test your taillight, on the driver side your Brake/Parking light and turn signal should work.

Make sure to order Qty. 2 of 82998-12340 from your local Toyota dealer.

On the passenger side you need to re-pin the connector having the write tool for the job makes it super simple.
Basically your transfering over the 2 terminals on the right to the left. See image for help.
Open up the passenger side interior quarter trim you'll see a blue connector.
On that blue connector remove the tape around it to expose all the cables. You want to tap in to a Red/Blue Cable should be the 3rd one from left to right.
Once you tap in to the cable using the correct cables go ahead and attach about 6ft of 16 gauge wire to it.
Helps to check with a tester every time to make sure your taping in to the correct wire.

Here is the part were it was tricky for me.
I used a long zip tie I had from the out side.to the inside to fish out the terminal you'll be connecting to the connector.
The terminal will be going in on the the bottom right if your looking at the connector from the back, see images for help.
Once you clip the terminal to the connector go ahead and finish it off with electrical tape for that OEM look.

On the opposite end I put a connector end and tapped in to the wire that i had added when I first tapped in to the GX's harness.
On the rear door sill you'll see some wires going to the driver side, I simply used some small zip ties and use that route for the drivers side taillight.

I used a connector to connect to the terminal and finished it off with some heat shrink cable wrap.
For the driver side is the same as the passenger side, terminal goes on the bottom right if your looking at the connector from the back.

Afterwards go ahead and finish it off with some electrical tape.

I went ahead and re routed the connector from the top hole of the body to the center, drivers side was really simple but passengers side was more difficult due to the space but so much easier to connect to the taillights.

Hopefully this helps some body out there if any question feel free to ask.

If my write up helps you finish up your Prado taillights post your pics . . .

View attachment 2212693View attachment 2212694View attachment 2212695View attachment 2212696View attachment 2212697
GREAT write-up @DeathMetalTony !!
So if I'm understanding correctly, Tapping the Red/Blue from the blue bundle is tapping the reverse, as this is the wire traced to driver side and pinned into harness in lower right (when looking from back of terminal

I think these are your pics for passenger:
1660187922035.png

And driver:
1660187991226.png

So larger green/yellow, and smaller green/silver dots swap sides of the harness and the reverse goes into the slot the green/yellow was in originally. Is this correct?

So the GX harnesses get be wired for Prado stop/parking and turn just by swapping sides for those green/yellow and green/silver dots.
And all would work but reverse. is this correct?

Then reverse is tapped from the blue harness (revealed from passenger rear quarter panel) Red/Blue and pinned into passenger and driver harness where the Green/yellow was originally, is this accurate?
1660188238590.png

And finally: Is the Prado reverse bulb is the same spec'd for GX 470?

The JDM tails look very nice, the grey vs aftermarket ebay red (Or did you take them apart and grey them out??)
1660882704669.png
1660882659123.png

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
They look awesome at night. No pictures of that though. Sorry.

View attachment 2486031

View attachment 2486035
@Redeemed
Looks great! I have a couple questions for ya.

Looks like you're running LED turns? LED reverse too or LED all?
When wired per this thread (re-pinning harness, etc.) , did you re-pin the herness which plugs into the GX top socket (socket A) , then that harness plugs into the Prado middle socket (socket B)?

When re-pinned as such and all plugged in, do the ambers illuminate with parking light or does read illuminate with parking light?

Thanks man!

I think I've gotten all my bits (save new bulbs), now to put it all together!
1662179389412.png
1662179833860.png

1662179405436.png

1662179416468.png

Oops, post hoc discovery, I got all pass sockets. Just noticed th6e 51550 vs 51560 left-right difference.

Last edited:
On 2007, using these directions, Running into issues with reverse circuit and no turn signals, have hazards but no reverse, native or added Prado lights.

The simple wiring project has turned into a 4 hr headache at this point. 😒
PXL_20221022_235227690.jpg
PXL_20221022_194621881.jpg
PXL_20221022_192421892.jpg
PXL_20221022_195515149.jpg
PXL_20221022_200135557.jpg
PXL_20221022_212810935.jpg

Turns out, the info is good. You only repin the passenger harness, the driver harness just gets the reverse light pinned in.
We bridged pins when testing and blew a fuse. This fuse prevented turn signals and reverse while it was otherwise all wired correctly per the beta here.

PXL_20221023_034314190.jpg

So, if you get no turn or reverse check fuses!

Also,. Bulbs didn't click into the prado Sockets as nicely as the GX sockets.

20221022_220702-ANIMATION.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom