Prado Newbie Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to purchase a Prado here in Costa Rica. The two models that I'm considering are the pre 2002 J90 with the turbo 1KZ-TE diesel and the post 2002 J120 with the intercooled turbo 1KD-FTV diesel. There doesn't seem to be a big price differential between the two models - they are both ridiculously expensive.

We live up in the mountains and a lot of the driving will be on steep mountain roads and unimproved mountain trails. I'm looking for maximum reliability. Any suggestions, opinions, guidance would be much appreciated.

U would need to consider mechanic experts on 1KD. If u don’t have a good mechanic, stay with 1KZ.

Good point! But I sure like the idea of the extra horsepower of the 1KD especially on the mountain roads around where we live.

Good point! But I sure like the idea of the extra horsepower of the 1KD especially on the mountain roads around where we live.
Diesel fuel quality is the main problem for these engines. The injector dies easily.

Diesel fuel quality is the main problem for these engines. The injector dies easily.
I don't know the quality of diesel here in Costa Rica. There are a lot of diesel powered cars and trucks here and all the gas stations get their fuel from a government run refinery. So I believe that at least the diesel fuel here is uniform.

U would need to consider mechanic experts on 1KD. If u don’t have a good mechanic, stay with 1KZ.
I took your advice and purchased a '03 Prado with the turbo, intercooled 1KZ and only 156,000 km on the clock. So far so good.

I took your advice and purchased a '03 Prado with the turbo, intercooled 1KZ and only 156,000 km on the clock. So far so good.
Nothing much can do on these engine, just the maintenance and clean the intake manifold, intercooler, intake port . There’s sludge/carbon build up most of the time. Keep it standard u will do just fine.

Nothing much can do on these engine, just the maintenance and clean the intake manifold, intercooler, intake port . There’s sludge/carbon build up most of the time. Keep it standard u will do just fine.
I took a closer look at my 1KZ and it does not have an EGR system. The place on the intake manifold where the EGR pipe would normally attach was not drilled so evidently trucks from Panama come without EGR from the factory. No carbon buildup in the intake!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom