Powertank / CO2 leaks faster? I think so... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caz

Keystone Cruisers
Threads
Interested in hearing if anyone else has experienced what I am experiencing.

The Powertank website says that CO2 does not leak out of tires faster than shop air, but my experience tells me it leaks WAY faster.

I use it often to fill up my kid's bike tires. They are usually flat again in a week. I have also been using it on the Prius and find that the pressure drops from 42 to under 30 within a few weeks! This is on multiple tires - all around a year old and all with no visible signs of issues.

I tried a test on the kids bike tires and used regular shop air. They have been good for 2 weeks now.

I searched on Google and found that bicyclists have noticed this same phenomenon, but I didn't see where anyone was having this trouble with cars.

Andy

Something about the solubility of rubber.
The rubber basicly soaks up the co2. Of course co2 inflator manufacturers wont mention that.
Google nitrogen vs co2.
Nitrogen is the way to go for inflating tires.

Nitrogen is the way to go. I live by Costco that did my tires on my Mustangs back in the day. Held pressure great, but not really possible for our application.
I plan on getting a Nitrogen tank and regulator set for rebuilding/tuning my Kings. Would be a bit of a waste to use for tires if constantly airing up and down though.

I plan on getting a Nitrogen tank and regulator set for rebuilding/tuning my Kings. Would be a bit of a waste to use for tires if constantly airing up and down though.
Where do you live. I already have the stuff and could lend it out for a case of beer.

Just remember that dry air is about 78% nitrogen and about 21% oxygen when you’re considering things. Is it really that much difference to go to the trouble of carrying nitrogen instead of a compressor?

[edit] I do understand the benefits of a PowerTank-type setup on the trail. But I wouldn’t go to the trouble of using it in place of a compressor for around the home/shop.

Last edited:
^^this. Unless you are in a race car application the benefits of nitrogen vs regular old shop air are virtually non existent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom