Power Steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Butchk

SILVER Star
Threads
I am getting ready to install Sag. power steering on my 78/40. I-6 w/MAF tuned header. I have read several articals on this set up. I don't want to put the cart before the horse. Advance Addapters says it isn't made for a I-6. Itwas made for the Chevy V8. They say the motor mounts on the I-6 may get in the way. But again they say it will work. My question has anyone done this with the I-6 and has anyone done this with a MAF 2pc tuned header? Thanks in advance.
One more thing. Has anyone installed the H55f 5 speed behind there I-6? I'm always reading and keep getting these ideas in my head.

78 fj40
Wants: :grinpimp:
Frame off
Build the six
FF
H55F
2.5 suspension
2" body lift
Soft top
Lockers F&R
35" tires
And lote of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Power steering add-on

Can you add power steering to a 77 FJ-40? If so .How much money is involved and are the end result worth it?

Saginaw power steering is done every day for every year of FJ40. Spend a bit of time with the search button. It is a close fit for the steering shaft over the motor mount with the 2F motor, but it still works just fine. There are numerous style of plate adapter. My first conversion used a Warden adapter and worked for me for many years.

My most recent project I used a 4x4 labs plate adapter which is tucked in a bit better and looks 100% cooler, but takes 3X as much welding. The moderator of this board (Poser) sells an excellent plate adapter at an appealing price.

BTW-Power steering is the best mod you can make to a stock FJ40. The stock system is complex and usually full of slop. Saginaw and crossover steering eliminates 99% of the problems.

Regarding an H55f 5 speed in a 40. I've never done it, but I have done it in my FJ60. The biggest problem in a 40 is the extra long driveline, you start to run out of rear driveshaft. It might be difficult to do without extensive fab work-new cross members, moving the axle back, making e-brake arrangements and the like. A 4 speed is a much better fit and perfectly adequate for an FJ40.

My '78 FJ40 Saginaw Install

Parts:
'68 Skylark Box - eBay $35 shipped
-4.25 turns, lock to lock - in very good condition

'70 Chevy Suburban PS Pump - $55 from AutoZone

U-Joint, 3/4" Round Weld-On to 3/4" Round Weld-On - $44.95 from SpeedWay Motor

U-Joint, 13/16"-36 Spline to 3/4" Round Weld-On - $49.95 from SpeedWay Motor

SOLID STEERING SHAFT, 36" - $14.95 from SpeedWay Motor
-A lot of people run a slipshaft, I went cheap (make your own mind up)

20mm Mounted Bearings UCF204 + Square Flanged Cast Housing - $9.95 from vxb.com
-This fits the stock steering column without sanding it down

High Pressure Hose - '78 Heep CJ5 - AutoZone $23.00

Return Nipple - Gates Part No. 350150 - AutoZone $6.00

Poser-made scab plates - Poser $70.00
-Vey nicely made at a very reasonable price

My steering box came with the pitman arm, which worked fine with the stock TRE. Since the steering relay rod was too long, I had a local welding shop cut 4" out of the stock one and it has worked great.

I moded the smog pump bracket for the lower mount on the PS pump and fabbed a piece of 1" angle for a tensioner bracket that bolts to the block.

My setup barely clears the motor mount, but it does. No need for a spud shaft if you cut the crossmember front and rear with a 4" hole saw.

This is a fantastic mod, that I undertook as my first "project" outside of rebuilding my T-Case. It was challanging for a rooking at times, but I gained a lot of knowledge and confidence in the process.

Thanks for all the information. Ha Cruiserdrew. Fill me in on BTW??. As far as 4X4 Labs I've looked I read some where else about there mounting platebut haven't been able to find any thing but there HYSteer which I'm going to get.
Are yu familure with Downyes mounting plate. Look nice to me. Still want to look at the BTW. I guess my biggest concern is will it get past my 2 peace MAF tuned header. I'll have to figure that one out. We have a hose house here and they will make any kind of Hi pressure hose I need. As far as the 5 speed I went to a web site that sold them and they was saying several TLCA members have went to the 5 speed. We also have a great place that will make any kind of drive line a person would need. I've been doing my home work but always have questions. Don't want to spend money where it's not needed. Thanks again.

I guess my biggest concern is will it get past my 2 peace MAF tuned header. I'll have to figure that one out.

Welcome.

Have been working just fine on my 09/68-40 with a 1982 2F and Saginaw power steering...

RedAxle-29.jpg

Poser, lookes likes it's a dun deal. Now it's time for me to move on and decided which mounting bracket to buy. As I mentioned I have been looking at the Downey mount. Anyone have some input?

At one time I purchased three of them....probably 10 years ago now...and have not ever installed one.

The plate peices that folks have been using and modifying for years I feel is a far better way to go.

Thanks Poser, I do have a lay out for the mount. I believe I got off here. I'll start the process. I'll be in contact if I have any more questions. I've got one already. How thick should the mounting plate be and should the frame stiffner be welded to the inside or outside of the frame? thakns in advance.

Butch-Not to tell you what to do, but I would not bother fabbing the mount. Poser has done that for you so you know it will work the first time out.

BTW = "By the way" in internet speak.

My orignial Warden scab plate is 3/8, and my 4x4 labs plate is 3/8. I'm guessing 3/8 will do it. You will also need to beef up the outer side fo the frame rail-I have always seen that done in 1/4 inch.

On the other side of the frame you should probably re-inforce that as well, though I think some fabricators do not bother with that. I framed and boxed both sides so it should be pretty rigid.

Someone mentioned a 4 inch hole saw. I think it's a 3 inch hole you want. The hole is slightly complex since the 2 faces of the crossmember box sit at two different angles. I went through the outside face perpendicular, then redirected the hole saw to the center of the inside face.

Some plates require a spud shaft which also adapts the splines of the box 13/16 X 36 to the standard 3/4 X 30. THere are really nice Spicer shaft parts that fit directly and that's what I;m doing on my rebuild. If you want to buy my old Flaming River shaft and spud shaft let me know.

Best pic I could find of the boxed frame horns.
Chassis3.jpg

Cruiserdrew, You said don't bother fabbing Poser has already done that??? Does Poser sell the Scab?? If so How can I buy it?
I'm planning on doing a 2.5" OME with a 2" body lift. How will this affect the Steering angle if I was to do it before the BODY lift? I have read where you don't want any more that a 35 deg. angle per ujoint or a total of 70 deg. Wouldn't body lift after the power steering upgrade affeect the angle?
Your frame looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom