Power steering (surprise) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, been researching my saginaw power steering install for my '77 for some time now and I have run into a couple of road blocks. First of all, my cruiser has the single row crank and water pump pulleys and the alternator on the drivers side with one belt driving them all. This means the ps pump mounts like Bill Dorry's won't work for me unless I change the alternator to the other side and install double pulleys. Really don't want to do that.
I can't seem to find anyone who makes a saginaw ps pump bracket for the passenger side to bolt to the 3 bolt holes on the block so I am going to have to fab one myself which I really dion't have the time to do right now but looks like I have no choice.

So I have 2 options:
1. Fab a bracket that allows my pump to line up with the existing single row pulleys and just buy a longer belt. My only worry about that is the ps pulley might not have enough contact on the belt and therefore squeal or slip and will I find a belt long enough.

2. Order a double crank pulley, fab and install the ps pump to line up with the extra belt groove on it, and run one belt off of the crank just for the ps pump while leaving the other belt for the alt, and water pump intact. This would be my preferred choice as it requires less parts and I don't have to relocate anything. Also should give me a good contact with the belt on the pulley.

I'm hoping someone has tried this and can confirm it's a good choice or can maybe offer some alternative. Keep in mind I live in Eastern Canada and used Cruiser parts are scarce as hens teeth around here and shipping from the states plus exchange kills me.

I've emailed a few Cruiser custom parts shops already but haven't recieved any responses so I guess I am on my own.

Also wondering if anyone has any part numbers for the DD steering shaft and u joins I have to order for the 4 bolt sag box?? NAPA would be preferrable as they have lots of shops around here.

In all my searches on here I haven't found any writeups on the problem I have.

Thanks guys!!! :beer:

PS was available in 78-83 on the FJ40s. I found a stock set-up with all the double pulleys that just bolted up, so the double pulley is available, you just have to look.

You will have to make a custom bracket for a sag pump to attach to a 2F, but there are vendors out there that make them. A quick google search came up with MAF, JT outfitters, Mudrack all make them in the US.

This is some info I got from 4x4labs when I was inquiring baout a sag PS conversion.

-Sag box I like is the 4 turn large piston 800 series box from a late 60's, early 70's chevy car (impala). NAPA part# SG16537.

- Pump is from a mid 80's S-10 blazer with a V-6. Has the highest pressure and flow rate out of the box of the sag pumps.

Keep looking, they are out there.

JT Outfitters sells a saginaw pump mounting bracket that uses the front 2 head bolts on the drivers side to mount the pump above the alternator. You would still have a concern about not getting a full belt wrap on the PS pump, but a lot of people claim to have used this setup without problems. If you are going to run large tires and do a lot of HD wheelin you may want to get the twin groove pulley so the pump gets it own belt with a full wrap.

Another option, which is what I did, is get the OEM bracket to mount your alternator on the passenger side. Super easy to do and you can extend the wiring to reach with little effort, the whole job can be done in an hour or so. Then, mount your PS pump on the drivers side where the alt used to be. You should still get the double belt pulley. If you contact Mark at Marksoffroad.com he can set you up with everything you need. Used OEM alt bracket and double belt pulley and a new PS pump bracket. He's usually very reasonably priced too.

This is how mine mounts. Haven't hade any issue so far but i havent had it on long. I used the bracket from cruiser solutions. but its the same as all of them that bolt to the head bolts. It is a pain to get lined up. oh and you can see the belt # gates tr22545

this can be done a lot cheaper that I did it if you serch the post you can find nearly every part# you need from local parts houses.
lc 004.jpg
lc 005.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch guys.....exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. I now like the idea of mounting the pump on the drivers side above the alt. I didn't know that was an option for me.....I honestly though all the brackets required relocation of the alt and a double row crank pulley.

wbb72fj40.....did your bracket come with the holes pre drilled to mount it to the head or do you get to drill them yourself so you can line up the ps pulley with the single row crank pulley? I think your setup will work good for me. Look like good contact on the belt too! Thanks a lot!

EDIT......never mind....took a closer look at your pics and I see the bolt holes are elongated giving you some room to adjust the bracket forward or back. This is what I needed to see! Do you have a part # for that pulley of the steering shaft and u joints I need by any chance? I can't seem to find the part numbers on here.

Last edited:
I will get them over the weekend. the steering shaft is a borgason the pully you will more than likley need to get from a cruiser supplier

if you get the right end for your steering unit you will not need that 100$ STUB SHAFT.

have you thought about mini truck set up? If my po hadn't screwed mine up and trashed all the parts i would have went that route. It true that you get a certain amount of numbness in your steering wheel with the saginaw set up.

Last edited:
I'd go with the double pulley on the crank and waterpump . my setup uses two of the same belt . I think you may have issues with contact in high load scenarios with a single belt .

I considered the mini truck setup as I already have more than enough parts to put it together in my garage but I am running 36" TSL SX's on 10" wide steel rims with an Aussie locker in the front and I spend a lot of time in the rocks. So I didn't think that the mini truck set up would be enough.

The plan now is to order a p/s bracket like the Classic Cruisers one and mount it on the drivers side. I already have a sag pump and steering box. Not sure what end I have on the box right now because I am at sea right now working and it'll be next week before I get home to start sizing things up again. It is out of a YJ though (it was free)!:clap:

I guess the best bet is for me to locate a double crank pulley and run the ps pump off of it. I don't think I really need to get the double water pump pulley though. I think I can get away with keeping the alt and water pump setup intact. But maybe I am wrong.
Where's the best place to buy the sag pulley? Been looking at a few places that sell them but maybe there is a cheaper alternative? Is the original sag pulley really no good at all?

Thanks for the looking for the part numbers for that shaft by the way. Appreciate all your help! My thumbs will thank you too when I get the steering done!

I ran the mini power steering, I was at the same problem, but my wter pump had the 2 groove bulley. So I hooked up to the water pump and the changed the idler bulley 90 degreers up so I can adjust. It worked fine for about 2 years on the FJ, and now still working fine on my tractor.
If anything yours (on the crank bulley should be much stronger) should be fine.
What part of Eastern Canada are you in ? I am in NB. I am going to start looking for a 2 groove crank bulley to run a Hyd pump.
If I find some ,I will let you know.
:cheers:

Vicm, I'm in Newfoundland. Hard to get parts around here. Found a double pulley once but it was rusted and cracked. If you find any pulleys let me know! I think I am definitly gonna need one!

Newfoundland, there are 40s in Newfoundland? I used to go every summer to St John's , most friendly people on this planet.
I think I am going to have to look for 60s series LC, there are few in NB.
I will PM you later.
Vic

Thanks for the kind words Vicm! There are only about 12 Cruisers around here that I can count off the top of my head right now. I'm sure there are more but they most all have rusted away years ago. The salt here on the roads destroy everything in the winter! My Cuiser is from Ontario and in really good shape.
So it's very hard to locate parts around here and I am pretty much on my own when it comes to workin on the Cruiser.....if it wasn't for Mud I'd be lost. I don't know of anyone here besides me that has built a Cruiser for wheelin and actually wheels it. There are a couple nice restos around though. Not many 60's here either....I can picture 4 and they are all in rough shape. Only know of 1 70 series and a super rare 75 that I've been buggin a guy to sell to me (it came out of a mine).
Hopefully I get this steering install done soon....still gathering parts and doing research. It takes so long to get stuff shipped here and it costs a lot to buy from the states now. I'm sure you feel my pain! So I always appreciate any help or advice I can get! Thanks guys!

Here's a link to my buildup!
NOVA 4X4 Message Board - 1977 Toyota FJ 40 Landcruiser

Last edited:
Yes , that is a nice looking 40 ,man.
I won't be able to drive it in the winter if it were me.
I have few parts , if you ever need something. Mine is getting a 3B so I don't need most of the gas stuff.
There are few guys , in NS and NB that have lots parts , check mauger here on mud, he might have some.
I have to call around and hopefully find something.
The problem with buying from the US, even though the price is good ,but shipping, customs and taxes are just a rip off.
I have the only 40 in town that is driveable. There are others but , I have never seen them. We also have 2 mines here in town, they still use 70 series trucks, but they are usually destroyed after all the abuse they get underground.
Mud has been great help, I try to send poeple to mud whenever I can.
"mud is one of the tools you need , if you own a Japaneese camel"
Very best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom