Power steering gearbox fluid color (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have replaced the fluid (fed the leak for a bit) in my PS system, when I popped my PS gearbox apart yesterday, I noted that the fluid inside of the PS gearbox itself was not cherry red like the rest, it went from red to burnt brown (and smelled like it was burnt too)
(I am using dex3 ATF)

Is there a passage or something blocking the circulation of the fluid in the PS gearbox?

Nah. I’ll bet that’s totally normal man. I dumped some blackish crap out of the bottom of mine on my recent rebuild. It only had like 27 years to settle and build up there 🤣

Been discussed in the past: the consensus was that the original fill for the FZJ80 power steering system was a straw colored hydraulic fluid, not ATF. The hive mind theory as to why the reservoir cap and manual both state to use ATF is because it's a hydraulic fluid and easily found anywhere in the world.

Some of us have swapped over to hydraulic fluid (Mobil DTE 24 for example).

However if your current PS fluid is burnt smelling it's time to do a complete flush/fluid exchange. Any other symptoms going on with the steering (increased effort to steer)?? Tire size? A lot of long/rough off-road driving??

Been discussed in the past: the consensus was that the original fill for the FZJ80 power steering system was a straw colored hydraulic fluid, not ATF. The hive mind theory as to why the reservoir cap and manual both state to use ATF is because it's a hydraulic fluid and easily found anywhere in the world.

Some of us have swapped over to hydraulic fluid (Mobil DTE 24 for example).

However if your current PS fluid is burnt smelling it's time to do a complete flush/fluid exchange. Any other symptoms going on with the steering (increased effort to steer)?? Tire size? A lot of long/rough off-road driving??
I am in the process of rebuilding my PS gearbox (based on it leaking everywhere)
I had pulled the gearbox apart, and discovered the discolored fluid lurking in the bottom of the PS gearbox, which is why I asked (and now I know :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom