Power Steering Gear Box ID? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone id this gear box, I can not find any markings on it and it is leaking out the end.

Thanks

20221204_123823.jpg

20221204_123856.jpg

20221204_124047.jpg

20221204_123746.jpg

20221204_123811.jpg

Looks like a Saginaw box to me. How many turns lock to lock?

my WAG would be a saginaw also, there is an "S" molded into the housing

on a side note, I would look over the entire mounting, it doesn't look very stout and the cut out thru the crossmember is also suspect.

Find the threads on Saginaw conversions for box suggestions. The old-school box people favor is a 4-turn box from early 1970s GM barges, like a Chevy Caprice. You don't want a 2.5 turn box, or your FJ40 will be twitchy on the highway.

You could have yours rebuilt, too.

Any parts store, 27-6529 ( larger piston) or 27-6537 (smaller piston) otherwise identical for mounts, input size & spline.

Any parts store, 27-6529 ( larger piston) or 27-6537 (smaller piston) otherwise identical for mounts, input size & spline.

The piston housing is 3.5" in diameter, is that the large piston? The rig has larger tires on it and sits higher than stock,, do you still recommend the two above, or does the larger tires make a different box a better choice?

When I changed the box on my firebird, it was really easy. After reading a few posts on the site, it seems this is a difficult and time consuming (what isn't) project. Any tricks to make it easier when I go to switch these out?

Thanks again!

In the mid eighties I adapted a 4 bolt sag box. I think it came off of a Mid sized Buick that was going to the scrap yard. A few yrs later it was leaking so I went to the local auto parts store and purchased a sag P/S box for a late 70's CJ7. I don't recall how many turns it was but it worked for me. You'll have to do your own research. Look in FAQ's to start and use the search function. Sag boxes are usually pretty stout regardless the of the internals. I no longer run a sag box out frt.

In your 1st pic it looks like you might have a lot of play between the tre taper and the pitman arm hole. The 40's tre's taper are usually smaller than the hole in GM pitman arm. If this is the case I think @cruiseroutfit offers a drag link with SAE threads on 1 end and fj40 threads on the other, just for this issue.

Last edited:
My research, with the guidance of Downey, has found that the 1978 Jeep J20 Steering gear is a good fit. That's what I am ordering for mine.

Yes, the 27-6529 is the 3.5" piston and is the box mentioned in above post by Vandal. The only hard part is getting pitman off, if it dont come right off then get a pitman puller, the other hard part is getting to the coupler at box input, some old kits had a spud shaft, sometimes you gotta unbolt box, pull forward , hopefully it has a slip shaft on the steering, this lets you get to the coupler which is usually inside frame under radiator so it is hard to access. Also depends on if front bmper can still be removed ?

Bumper has been welded with so much crap over the years, its not going anywhere. When i get to that point, i will slowly cut off all the extra steel welded to the frame.

Thank you all for the info, I will report back when this project begins.

My research, with the guidance of Downey, has found that the 1978 Jeep J20 Steering gear is a good fit. That's what I am ordering for mine.

True J20 boxes are hard to find and expensive. Any 3.5 - 4.5 sag box will work fine, unless you are planning on pushing 37"+ tires. I'm running 37"s, no hydro assist, and my J20 box has done very well in the rocks. I wouldn't spend the extra money unless you are planning on wheeling it hard.

There will be no hard wheeling, maybe just a ride through the Pine Barrens. The wheels are 33's. I will try out the Cardone Steering Gear 27-6529 since I can get it at Advance Auto.

Thanks again.

The steering box has been identified as a Saginaw 800, so am I better off getting this rebuilt or just replacing with the Cardone Steering Gear 27-6529?

Thanks

The steering box has been identified as a Saginaw 800, so am I better off getting this rebuilt or just replacing with the Cardone Steering Gear 27-6529?

Thanks

I guess that all depends on a few things. Any rebuild shops in the area? If so what will it cost to get rebuilt and they probably won't know until they get it open. Are you in a hurry to get it back together or is waiting OK? Can you find a Cardone unit at a reasonable cost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom