Power Steering Fluid in my Power Steering :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see that I have PS fluid in my PS :( Now I need to flush it out. Should I use syn ATF or normal ATF?

Chirsto, when you flushed your motor with all the ATF while on the trail, did you know what the compression was before and after it was flushed?

kurt

I don't get this post -- shouldn't PS fluid be in the PS? :'(

I flushed mine this weekend (partially) -- I used a turkey baster to suck the old stuff out of the top, and replaced it with Valvoline synthetic PSF -- hopefully the two fluids mixing doesn't melt plastic or something like that... :eek: :eek: :eek:

If you've got PS fluid in your transmission, I drained my ATF yesterday, marked the bucket, and funneled 6 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF in through the dipstick -- NOT a fun procedure, mind you -- and remember to check the top-off level when the engine's warm (and running, from what the FSM implied) --

eric

When I flush my PS I typically remove the return line and place it into a jug. Then plug the nipple on the pump tank and with the help of an assistant add Syn ATF fluid as the wheel is turned lock to lock with the engine running. Just be sure you don't run the pump dry and turning the wheel lock to lock is to purge all the fluid from both sides of the PS unit.

[quote author=erics_bruiser link=board=2;threadid=3983;start=0#msg29204 date=1059426952]
I used a turkey baster to suck the old stuff out of the top, and replaced it with Valvoline synthetic PSF
[/quote]

Thanksgiving dinner at Eric's house................. ::)

"Is that cranberry juce in the turkey baster there?"

The book says ATF Dexron II. It's odd because factory fill power steering fluid is not red. I don't know what they fill them with to begin with.

umm, recent trip to the dealer for a power steering flush. They put in... power steering fluid. I asked them about the ATF in the manual. They checked then said it does not matter and the PS fluid they use is better than ATF. Does it matter????

I prefer power steering fluid. I don't know that it really matters much.

My 60 had PS fluid in before I rebuilt the pump.
I didn't think much of PS fluid till Christo told his ATF story. I then looked on the cap and it says "power steering fluid" in big letters. In the fine print it says "Dextron Type ATF". The only problem is you can't get type ll ATF :D
kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom