Power steering conversion recommendation for 67 FJ40 with V8 conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am planning on a 4" lift for my project and have been looking at the steering arms from Front Range and look similar to what you installed. I was told that SUA high steering arms were not needed. I want to know before I spend the money and have a poor set up.

Did you fabricate the mounting plate for the FJ80 steering box? I have the skill and experience but not the tooling to fabricate other then a welder and grinder.

Sorry, my earlier thinking failed to account for your SOA configuration. I expect as others said you would probably need a flatter pitman arm to work between the frame and leafs.

The spacer I had made at a machine shop. I traced the mounting surface and hole on the 80series box, made a template and took that in to have it made. I don’t have a plasma table to cut it out.

Since I don’t have leaf springs I cannot say what arm set up you would need.

@A10Driver had get creative clearing his pitman arm on his SOA 40. His thread is below and might give you some more information.

Sorry, my earlier thinking failed to account for your SOA configuration. I expect as others said you would probably need a flatter pitman arm to work between the frame and leafs.

The spacer I had made at a machine shop. I traced the mounting surface and hole on the 80series box, made a template and took that in to have it made. I don’t have a plasma table to cut it out.

Since I don’t have leaf springs I cannot say what arm set up you would need.

@A10Driver had get creative clearing his pitman arm on his SOA 40. His thread is below and might give you some more information.
Thanks for the information and the tips. I may also have to find a machine shop to make the mounting plate. I will have to research to see if there are any machine shops where I live. I may have to go to Casper or Rock Springs, Wyoming to find a shop if there are not any in Riverton.

I am planning on a 4" lift for my project and have been looking at the steering arms from Front Range and look similar to what you installed. I was told that SUA high steering arms were not needed. I want to know before I spend the money and have a poor set up.

Did you fabricate the mounting plate for the FJ80 steering box? I have the skill and experience but not the tooling to fabricate other then a welder and grinder.
Every set up is different. disclaimer up front.

I’m using
  • the 80 box, pit arm and steering shaft that came with it.
  • My knuckles and steering arms for disc conversion were from a mini truck and everything bolted up and plays nice together.
  • I also have 4” of sua lift- 2.5 spring and 1.5 shackle reversal
  • My drag link and tie rod are from Front Range Offroad. Kinda spendy, and realistically more beef than I need, but at the time it was what I chose.
  • TREs are 60 series at the knuckles and 80 at the pit arm
  • I made my own mounting plate, it’s a simple plate on either side with corresponding holes. **if your up for this project, it shouldn’t be much more difficult than anything else.**
    I was also advised to stay away from the high steer arms for spring under setups by @Mace. It has worked really well for me. I push 35’s around well and road feel is really good. If I was off-roading more, I’d might want more umph, but realistically I’m 90% on the road. That’s not to say it doesn’t do well offroad - more like “it could always be better.”

Every set up is different. disclaimer up front.

I’m using
  • the 80 box, pit arm and steering shaft that came with it.
  • My knuckles and steering arms for disc conversion were from a mini truck and everything bolted up and plays nice together.
  • I also have 4” of sua lift- 2.5 spring and 1.5 shackle reversal
  • My drag link and tie rod are from Front Range Offroad. Kinda spendy, and realistically more beef than I need, but at the time it was what I chose.
  • TREs are 60 series at the knuckles and 80 at the pit arm
  • I made my own mounting plate, it’s a simple plate on either side with corresponding holes. **if your up for this project, it shouldn’t be much more difficult than anything else.**
    I was also advised to stay away from the high steer arms for spring under setups by @Mace. It has worked really well for me. I push 35’s around well and road feel is really good. If I was off-roading more, I’d might want more umph, but realistically I’m 90% on the road. That’s not to say it doesn’t do well offroad - more like “it could always be better.”
My front axle has stock disc brakes so that was done at the factory.
I have a set of FJ60 knuckles and have FJ70 relay and tie rods and will order a set of FJ70 TREs.
I am looking at the flat steering arms from Front Range because they will drill the holes for the TRE that should fit.

I do know how to fabricate because of my Millwright experience but I don't have enough of the right tooling and will have to buy more tooling to do this project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom