Power Steering Conversion Kits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to get some recommendations for a power steering conversion kit. I already have a Saginaw pump and gear box, but I was hoping for some input on a quality kit for all the other parts. M-A-F, Advanced Adapters, BTB, TPI etc. all have kits, just wondering about opinions or experiences with any of the kits. Any recommendations? This is for an FJ40 with a 2F. If this is a repost, I appologize, I looked but did not find a string that answered my question.
~Thanks~

I went with TPI when I did my Saginaw conversion. I sourced the box and pump from a '66 Caprice. Some kits have a box and pump incluced. TPI had everything that I needed and I like the one stop shoping. I found after I had completed the conversion that the drop pitman arm had too much drop. They had another one in the mail quickly and no problems. The mount is made of cast steel and will require some grinding of the frame to get access to one of the box bolts. All together I would say that I was very pleased and would recommend them for someone looking for a good kit.

Randy

I have the bracket you will need to install the pump. I also have the bracket for the mini truck gearbox. You can check out the feedback on my brackets on this board. If your interested let me know and I can give you more info. Thanks Bill

I got mine from Downey. :mad: I definately would not do it again from them. Their pump bracket is kind screwy. It only has 3 bolt holes ???. All their catalog pics showed a bracket with 4 bolt holes. The steering box afterall has 4 as well. The sales people dont have any answers for this. Also the mounting angle of their bracket is not correct. Downey also seems to have trouble just getting the order right. Of the four items I ordered from them they only got one right:the spring shackles. They eventualy staightened it all out, but what a freakin hassle it was. Down with downey! I would have shipped it all back to them but the high price of getting the stuff to alaska prevented me. I all worked out eventualy I did say what pain in the a** they were, right.

Link to your product?

Rob

I have the bracket you will need to install the pump. I also have the bracket for the mini truck gearbox. You can check out the feedback on my brackets on this board. If your interested let me know and I can give you more info. Thanks Bill

i built my own... the whole thing from scratch and i couldn't be happier.
i'm into the whole thing about $300 (includes everything) and did the whole thing with a torch and an arc welder.

box from 69 buick special - $25.00 (wrecking yard)
new pump to match ps box - $70.00 (auto zone)
pully for pump - $10.00 (wrecking yard)
borgeson u-joint (mounts to box) - $60.00 (borgeson)
pto joint - $8.00 (napa #338)
2 slip yokes for #338 - $24.00 together (napa)
these two yokes plus the joint make the complete
joint assembly which mounts near the firewall.

i used the pitman arm from the buick box, and lengthened and dropped it my self using 1 1/8 inch cold rolled steel as the splice (anything less will bend or break... trust me it took me three trys)

instead of a pillow bearing on the firewall i used 1/4 inch steel and made my own square mounting plate (3" x 3" i think)
3.5 feet of 3/4 inch hot rolled cost me $6.00 from
a steel yard.
I made my own pump and box brackets by taking measurements and trying different things.
spend some time and fool with it, and anyone can fabricate this on their own. it's not the prettyiest thing out there, but it works like a dream.

i'm 23 with little to no metal working experience (i have talented friends) and me and a buddy did this in two saturdays.

goo luck
-russ-
look fom pictures and procedure coming to my website soon.
http://russ.supernerd.com

Where'd you learn to weld? I have adult friends that can (some are professional experts), but I would like to know for myself to do small stuff.

luckily... i have a friend who's father owns the largest machine shop in the region. i have to admit that we did use some fancy machines to do a couple of things, but nothing that couldn't be done with a torch.
anyway, he has been welding and cutting and milling since he was young enough to recognize 3/8 from 3/4.

my personal welding experinece is limited to arc welding, and it is never very pretty. having a friend with 3 generations of metal theory in at his disposal is quite a asset.

Gotcha, I guess I will have to rely on the friend with the fabricating shop on a truck for my needs. :tear:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom