Power Steering 101 - Help Diagnosing Sag Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Am running a sag 4 bolt metric box ported and connected to a ram - high volume pump and reservoir with no fill opening - mini truck reservoir up on the fender. Doesn't want to turn to the left anymore - and when you shut it down it boils over with foamy fluid. Obviously has air getting in somewhere - but absolutely no sign of any leaks.

I did run this sideways on several occasions for extended periods of time (not so much that I didn't have oil pressure) but enough that maybe the reservoir system fragged and something went dry?

I've done this before - but the damage wasn't as bad - shipped the gear and pump off to PSC and had them rebuilt and it worked fine again. Thinking I need to do that again - and purchase the better PSC reservoir.......but would appreciate a little input as to maybe how to learn how to diagnose these issues a little better?

What do you mean "doesn't want to turn left"? No boost when turning left or it can't turn left, meaning it is blocked? If it can't turn left, there is something mechanically wrong in the box.

Get the air bubbles out before you do something radical. Cycle the box several times with the engine off. Fill. Start engine and check level. Top off if necessary while running. Check if the level rises when you shut it off. If so, there is still air somewhere. You may need to bleed the ram separately.

...plaster guy decided to start this week so the girlfriend and I have been stripping everything out of the damn house....

Will bleed the system next week - and check back.

Jacked up on stands - rebled - little bit of air, nothing big. Turns ok with engine off - left to right. Engine on - turns fine - left to right. When I say fine - it doesn't cycle thru 100% smoothly, but I'm being hypercritical here - jacked up it turns left to right fine.

Put it back down on the ground and it does not want to turn left. Turns right fine - left no go without alot of armstrong.

No air/foam in reservoir while running - and it does not boil over on shut down.

Have no real knowledge of pumps and gears - so need any help diagnosing - before I strip off and send the pump/gear back to PSC for another rebuild.

Either way - I'm getting a PSC reservoir and line kit this time.

Fluid control valve/spool is only permitting fluid flow in the 'right' direction.

PSC should look at your steering gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom