Poverty Pack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been messing with Land Cruisers of the 40, 60, 62, 80 and 100 types for almost 30 years and thought I was pretty well versed in them until today. While speaking with Josh from California I was informed that my 80 with cloth interior, sun roof but no roof rack and no wind deflector in the rear wasn't really a "poverty pack" as I've always thought. Instead a real poverty pack will have cloth seats but won't have a sun roof, no sliding glass in the read windows, maybe no 3rd row seats, or maybe even no 2nd row seat. In other words, true poverty. Probably wind up windows too? I suppose those were sold as company vehicles for use on a construction site, etc. The 80's were really classic trucks with all kinds of options, most not available here in the USA of course.
Ned

Ned, my truck is the same spec as yours. Perfect, IMO, even with the lack of lockers but I much prefer a cloth interior. Interesting to learn there are 80s running around without sliding windows. I didn't even know that was an option in the states!

I have the same as you all. 95 LC, cloth interior, sunroof, sliding back windows but since mine is an early 95, the rear drop backers to the sway bar are the same as the 94

There must be a few versions of them, because I have a no sunroof, no rack, cloth interior, with sliding rear windows, with lockers 94. My best guess is if it had 3rd row seats it would have the sliding rear windows. I assume the manual windows and manual trans would be in the "true" poverty pack bundle as well, along with some kind of vinyl floor instead of carpet, and no shifter console. I've seen some pictures of setups like that, and imagine they are like that from the factory.

Does it count if I created my own poverty pack? Less is more.

IIRC CruiserDan posted somewhere that none third row seat rigs came with a similar setup. My 97 is triple locked, cloth, sun roof, solid pane windows, no window tint, but has the roof rack. Love the setup, the cloth looks amazingly good for 212 thousand miles and is very comfortable. All I need to do is swap out the DS seat foam as the bolster nearest the door is flat from all the in and out over the years.

A proper poverty pack from the factory over here had manual windows, vinyl floor and from memory vinyl rather than cloth seats including front driver bucket and passenger bench, barn doors at the rear and was either 1HZ or 3F (carby) powered

Yep, got a 1HZ version living just around the corner from me. It’s soon to be a 1HZ-T.

I have the Aussie povo pack... consisting of grey vinyl floors, 5 sp manual, no 3rd row seats, the second row seats are grey and dark blue vinyl also, no sliding windows at the back and 4 wind up windows, 1hz motor non turbo, it had until I recently changed the front seats it was a drivers side bucket seat and 3/4 bench seat I now have from a '94 model nice front brown cloth dual bucket seats and a centre console between them, it has no console around the gear selectors, adn barn doors at the back.

Reading up on the poverty pack. Was there a year range that they were offered in the USA? A certain number/code on the door tag that denotes “poverty pack?”

thanks for the information.

Reading up on the poverty pack. Was there a year range that they were offered in the USA? A certain number/code on the door tag that denotes “poverty pack?”

thanks for the information.

it would have been offered every year of production but not very common. dealers will typically order vehicles with options to make it easier to sell, most people want power windows so theyll almost all get ordered with power windows. a really stripped down pp most likely would have been a special order for someone that specifically deleted options on the truck.

as a side note we never got he barn doors in the us, that was for everywhere else in the world

In it’s final FZJ80 iteration these were the US poverty package options that I am aware:
  • Cloth/ manual Seats (there are some manual leather, but those had leather added after it arrived stateside at Port or Dealer/Accessory shop)
  • The cloth seat model also had a slightly different console
  • Non Leather steering wheel and shift knob
  • Single din stereo
  • No Sunroof
  • No third Row seats this may have been packaged with the solid rear windows.
  • Solid Rear Windows instead of sliding, I think these were without tint and Deleted tint in the second row
  • No Roof Rack and/or Rear spoiler, these were also Port installed.
  • No wood grain, although this too was installed at Port/Dealer
  • No Running Boards
  • Steel wheels instead of alloy
As the 80 Series progressed rapidly into a luxury SUV, it appears that Poverty package models became more scarce each year 93’-97’.

Last edited:
In it’s final FZJ80 iteration these were the US poverty package options that I am aware:
  • Cloth/ manual Seats (there are some manual leather, but those had leather added after it arrived stateside at Port or Dealer/Accessory shop)
  • The cloth seat model also had a slightly different console
  • Non Leather steering wheel and shift knob
  • Single din stereo
  • No Sunroof
  • No third Row seats this may have been packaged with the solid rear windows.
  • Solid Rear Windows instead of sliding, I think these were without tint and Deleted tint in the second row
  • No Roof Rack and/or Rear spoiler, these were also Port installed.
  • No wood grain, although this too was installed at Port/Dealer
  • No Running Boards
As the 80 Series progressed rapidly into a luxury SUV, it appears that Poverty package models became more scarce each year 93’-97’.

Would any of these been offered with a manual transmission and/or manual windows in the states?

I have never researched us spec poverty pack options but I can add that I own a US spec. 91 80 series with a build date of February 1990. To the best of my knowledge it came from the factory with the following poverty pack:
  • Cloth Seats, I was told all 91-92 came with cloth seats, so....
  • No third row seats
  • It is debatable that it might not have come with 2nd row seats as well. It has some provisions for second row seats but not all of them, such as not all seat mounting holes are threaded and the second row steps are deleted-no studs or holes in the carpet for them to mount.
  • No fender flares
  • No sliding rear windows
  • No sunroof
  • No roof rack
    No running boards
  • No cruiser control either. I have not researched it but maybe this is normal in 91-92 80s.

Last edited:
Would any of these been offered with a manual transmission and/or manual windows in the states?
IIRC all auto's in the US market. Our northern friends got a manual option I think.

I have never researched us spec poverty pack options but I can add that I own a US spec. 91 80 series with a build date of February 1990. To the best of my knowledge it came from the factory with the following poverty pack:
  • Cloth Seats, I was told all 91-92 came with cloth seats, so....
  • No third row seats
  • It is debatable that it might not have come with 2nd row seats as well. It has some provisions for second row seats but not all of them, such as not all seat mounting holes are threaded and the second row steps are deleted-no studs or holes in the carpet for them to mount.
  • No fender flares
  • No sliding rear windows
  • No sunroof
  • No roof rack
  • No cruiser control either. I have not researched it but maybe this is normal in 91-92 80s.
No fender flares! I mean I’ve seen a ton of folks change it to such, but didn’t realize that was an option from the factory.

No unfortunately all US Spec FZJ 80’s were automatic and power windows. I am not familiar with earlier FJ80’s configuration, but I assume all Auto‘s as well like an FJ62.

No fender flares! I mean I’ve seen a ton of folks change it to such, but didn’t realize that was an option from the factory.

Without flares is a great look, but I don’t think you could order the later FZJ 80 without the flares in the US, I think it stopped after the FJ80 or more simply 91/92.

Without flares is a great look, but I don’t think you could order the later FZJ 80 without the flares in the US, I think it stopped after the FJ80 or more simply 91/92.

A dealer never was able to order options on the Land Cruiser. They were just received what TMC allocated and what port installed options were installed. If you wanted something unusual you just had to wait a very long time before became available or were able to work with the dealership to do a dealer trade. It's not like the domestic manufactures which still can place factory orders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom