Post your wheeling damage pics (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was cruising down the trail and travelling around 20 to 25 mph when I hit a random rock about the size of a small soccer ball on the side of the road. I'm not sure if I hit is straight on or if it was a glancing blow.

There was no TPMS warning at all. I was almost certain I had a flat but the monitoring indicated all tires full at least for the several seconds it took me to stop and visually check the tire. It seems the TPMS system updates periodically only and is not real time.

I was aired down to about 17 psi.

My next set of tires will most likely be a 35x12.5 in a more aggressive hybrid AT/MT tread pattern (been following your 35-inch tire thread to see what exactly needs to be done fit them). I'm currently leaning towards the Kenda Klever RTs because I like the way they look, get good reviews, and are relatively inexpensive.

This why I put so much value in a 3 ply sidewall....

Your pic convinces me that I need to stick with my current tire instead of going to Michelin defender. That pic brought back old memories. Lol

Last edited:
Exactly I'm hoping the 35's help. You can see how I landed in the pictures. Blew out my passenger front tire. Dragged the rear enough to pull the hitch cover off but no actual damage. I've heard of success with more of a jump than dragging off the way I did; although, I'm not too keen on launching my 6,000 lb LC200 (not completely opposed either). All in all I'm thinking it would be worth it as long as I don't blow out more tires. My front bumper did a great job too but wouldn't have been as important if the tire hadn't given out I suppose.

I would absolutely not try that drop with any speed, even just pulling the rear tires down, I would still go very slow. I feel there are much fewer variables offroad when driving slow, and short of tremendous suspension upgrades, the manufacturers didn't intend for our tires to come off the ground.

I have done another similar drop in my 100 and made the mistake of trying to turn a little when I came down on the front tires. If your front tires were turned even a little with reduced tire pressure, that likely caused it to pull off the wheel. The majority of the weight of your truck is on the front tires in that circumstance. If you do it again, make sure the tires are straight when they impact, then start to turn 👌🏼

(And make sure to video it for all of us 😉)

random AF, but not a good look for this Lexus driver. Damage was confined to his ego only.

IMG_20201113_194732.jpg

Anyone have ideas for rear recovery point upgrades?

View attachment 2495816
Most all replacement bumper/bars have a couple. Barring that many run a hitch recovery point. I’m a fan of the new overland vehicle systems aluminum one for soft shackles. It is a knockoff of the maxtrax hitch point

Nasty rock ledge drop got me when a pile of stacked rocks fell over. My mistake, was within the first 5 min of the trail. Time to get Dissent front and rear bumpers now ;)

009E2349-9D10-45EE-9DB8-1D8CBB9B901B.jpeg

Nasty rock ledge drop got me when a pile of stacked rocks fell over. My mistake, was within the first 5 min of the trail. Time to get Dissent front and rear bumpers now ;)

View attachment 2496218
Hot water will apparently cause the plastic to bounce back into shape, though it won't do anything for the scratches.

I left my ass bump from Red Cone as a battle scar, though someone will get my $ for a rear bumper one day...

1605534811765.png

View attachment 2496218

A little bit of heat from a heat gun on the backside will pop this out. Or just don't tell your wife that and order a bumper :p

A little bit of heat from a heat gun on the backside will pop this out. Or just don't tell your wife that and order a bumper :p

I think Jeff's wife a bit more savvy than most when it comes to cruiser mods. But still, get a bumper. :)

That big ol butt seems to be where a lot of the vulnerability is off-road. Wish there was a bolt on low profile bumper slider option.

If this covid thing drags on, maybe time for another project and fab up something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom