Post your wheeling damage pics (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good question , and technically I’m running them with spacers so if you planned on running this size tire wouldn’t it be better to run a wheel with the correct offset🤷🏽‍♂️ That’s what I was wondering
There are many guys here with rock warriors and wheel spacers running the same size tires. I checked out Nittos website and it lists the approved wheel width as 7.5” (8) 9.5” for your RG. So I’d assume 8” is the recommended width and chalk this up to a freak incident. I routinely run my Evo Corse wheels at 15 psi and haven’t had an issue yet....I do try and avoid rock gardens and don’t push my 200 as hard as you do. So major props for wheeling like boss !

There are many guys here with rock warriors and wheel spacers running the same size tires. I checked out Nittos website and it lists the approved wheel width as 7.5” (8) 9.5” for your RG. So I’d assume 8” is the recommended width and chalk this up to a freak incident. I routinely run my Evo Corse wheels at 15 psi and haven’t had an issue yet....I do try and avoid rock gardens and don’t push my 200 as hard as you do. So major props for wheeling like boss !
Thanx bud when I got this 200 my buddy with a 80 told me it’ll take you everywhere you need to go, I’m just trying to see if he’s right 😉

I was at 17-18 , I actually just got the tires 285/75/17 a week ago I used to have c rated but I blew 2 tires out on previous trails, I think the 200 is too heavy for C rated, this time I got the insurance at American tire so anything happens I get a free tire, but instead of it blowing out the tire the bead just popped, I was actually going to try 15 psi but I needed more clearance, this Trail has 5 rock gardens on it. It’s one of the knarlest trail in big bear arguably the worse, it’s this one and John Bull, my buddies don’t suggest me tot try John Bull till I get lockers.
Interesting. I run the same tire size at ~18psi and haven't had an issue yet.

Actually I don’t know why it went out I have a video of it but don’t want to put on you tube to post it here, it actually popped here,

View attachment 2644173
Would love to see the video when you get around to editing it down for utubes.

Nice trail run!

17-18 psi doesn’t seem too low, I am surprised you popped a bead at that PSI. I wonder if the rock warrior’s wheel width plays a role in this at 8”. Does anyone know if a Lt285/75r17 is better suited for a wider wheel like 8.5” or 9”?

A 285/75 is well suited on an 8” wide rim. The tire may have just been in the wrong place at the wrong angle. I’ve run A/T’s and hybrid treads on the RW wheel at much lower pressures. Not usually in rock gardens like your above pictures though. I’m envious of your trip on that trail 😉

I have a Instagram if you have it “weedwheelingwar” I’ll be posting the video soon
Just saw your video and shocked about that snap. None of the typical CV busters seem to be at play..

Would love to see the video when you get around to editing it down for utubes.

Nice trail runI’m going to post
Just saw your video and shocked about that snap. None of the typical CV busters seem to be at play..
Right I thought at first before seeing the video my wheel was spinning but it wasn’t I think the CV was just tired and gave up

Seems like it wasn’t anything too crazy but could be fatigue combined with some slipping and catching traction for a second. I think that’s a good life for a CV especially if wheeled.
I’ve only wheeled it for about 57,000 miles or so, I got it at 120,000 but I have wheeled it hard all over Southern Cali, this is arguably the second hardest trail in big bear some argue the hardest trail,and it gave up on the 3rd or 4th rock garden after wheeling probably for 2-4 hrs straight, after watching the wheel i think it was just old and failed but who’s know I’m going to start carrying a extra cv like the Aussies do from now on

I’ve only wheeled it for about 57,000 miles or so, I got it at 120,000 but I have wheeled it hard all over Southern Cali, this is arguably the second hardest trail in big bear some argue the hardest trail,and it gave up on the 3rd or 4th rock garden after wheeling probably for 2-4 hrs straight, after watching the wheel i think it was just old and failed but who’s know I’m going to start carrying a extra cv like the Aussies do from now on
When my CV blew its guts it was after some wheel spin on a steep incline. I was surprised it went as there wasn’t anything Crazy going on like the wheel spinning and then coming to an abrupt stop while flogging the gas pedal. Earlier on the trail I do vaguely recall seeing Some grease around the LCA but thought nothing of it. Maybe I tore the boot earlier on the trail and then the CV finally gave out a couple miles later. Could be Something like what I experienced Happened with your failure.

6714C7E3-5873-4A3B-B62A-3E6E6C991101.jpeg

FA7600A3-2402-42F1-AF67-6CFD71E4F3DF.jpeg

When my CV blew its guts it was after some wheel spin on a steep incline. I was surprised it went as there wasn’t anything Crazy going on like the wheel spinning and then coming to an abrupt stop while flogging the gas pedal. Earlier on the trail I do vaguely recall seeing Some grease around the LCA but thought nothing of it. Maybe I tore the boot earlier on the trail and then the CV finally gave out a couple miles later. Could be Something like what I experienced Happened with your failure.

View attachment 2645210

View attachment 2645211

that might be the case, what did you do
When yours blew did you do a trail repair or did you get it off the trail

that might be the case, what did you do
When yours blew did you do a trail repair or did you get it off the trail
I removed the front drive shaft on the trail and then drove home with the center dif locked. Having a winch was a life saver. Had to use it a few times to get over obstacles as i only had RWD with the front drive shaft removed. It was a Noisy 2.5 hour drive with the cv flopping around. Luckily no other damage occurred. Ended up replacing both CVS so I now have a spare. I was fortunate to have cell service and could get real time help from this forum. Mud members rock! Contorting the front drive shaft out was a real pain.

I removed the front drive shaft on the trail and then drove home with the center dif locked. Having a winch was a life saver. Had to use it a few times to get over obstacles as i only had RWD with the front drive shaft removed. It was a Noisy 2.5 hour drive with the cv flopping around. Luckily no other damage occurred. Ended up replacing both CVS so I now have a spare. I was fortunate to have cell service and could get real time help from this forum. Mud members rock! Contorting the front drive shaft out was a real pain.

To pull the driveshaft was it just this procedure?

1618504660012.png

To pull the driveshaft was it just this procedure?

View attachment 2646253
I didnt do steps 1-5. I just crawled underneath and unbolted the drive shaft from the transfer case and then from the front differential. Most important step I learned is that the zirk fitting on the driveshaft has to be removed inorder to get the drive shaft compressed (shrunk down) enough to slide out. That took the longest and I embarassingly spent close to an hour on the trail trying to contort the driveshaft out once it was unbolted. Captain struggle at work. It was still a pain even with it fully compressed. Kept getting hung up on the transmission bellhousing.

Maybe removing the front propellor shaft heat insulator would have helped.

I'll scratch that trail off my list. I would never do John Bull either. I've watched folks coming down John Bull and it is awe inspiring.

I was at 17-18 , I actually just got the tires 285/75/17 a week ago I used to have c rated but I blew 2 tires out on previous trails, I think the 200 is too heavy for C rated, this time I got the insurance at American tire so anything happens I get a free tire, but instead of it blowing out the tire the bead just popped, I was actually going to try 15 psi but I needed more clearance, this Trail has 5 rock gardens on it. It’s one of the knarlest trail in big bear arguably the worse, it’s this one and John Bull, my buddies don’t suggest me tot try John Bull till I get lockers.
wow lower larga

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom