Post your high-mileage 100-series!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh, I'm sure we'll see you in the "What is the best muffler" thread when yours rots out in a year or two ;)🤣
you mean, “what’s the cheapest muffler” thread??

I snagged my rig for a steal at 3k five years back with a stubborn CEL for an O2 sensor. After throwing in new sensors, the code stayed put, but who has time for detective work, right? Fast forward 40k miles, and either the CEL gave up or this cruiser's got some magical self-repairing charm! 😂 If the Toyota enthusiasts caught wind of my neglect, they'd parade me like the town "lady"! But hey, amidst the chaos, I've managed to show it some love with a new power steering rack, timing belt job, CVs, and upper control arms. Fair's fair, right?

I was just talking with a logger working for me today about car payments. Most logging company owners, foresters, timber buyers, etc. I deal with have new trucks and truck payments then trade in every two years always having a payment. Today he said his was $1200 a month....every single month. That is retarded. I then told him I bought the beast we were standing beside 24 years ago this month. Haven't had a payment in a pile of years but have had a pile of years of excellent service and very low ownership costs.

3rd if I remember correctly. I have an 80 series with 503k and sold a hundy with 470k
So begs the question (since I have been looking for a new 100 for me), how many miles is too many to buy one? I bought the one with 90k some miles and returned it (now kind of regrettably), and I am looking at LCs that are upgraded with Dobinsons lifts, and a few mods in the 240K-270K mile range with good service records and little/no rust and cleanish interiors (everything works), but worry about big issues (catastrophic engine/transmission failures). The brakes/radiator stuff I can deal with. After having two LCs previously, I mostly know what I am getting myself into.

Just curious if there are any real hard lines? As it has been mentioned to me before, they are all 20+ years old and stuff is going to fail sooner than later with just age alone, but I still feel finding a sub 150K milage, or lower, to be a better choice - at mentally.

I bought the one with 90k some miles and returned it (now kind of regrettably)

but I still feel finding a sub 150K milage, or lower, to be a better choice - at mentally.

I think you’ve made your decision. If feasible, I think you can go back year after year of threads and see what a large number of issues, failures and repairs on sub 150k low mileage Hundys… that some would think is surprising and shouldn’t happen. And without a doubt many issues are due to not being driven enough. Oxidation, rust, dry seals and gaskets. Not keeping it a well polished oiled machine.
And you just returned a perfect example of that with 90k miles. They all will have repairs from time to time. The big rub is the initial purchase price of the high vs. the low mileage copy. The price is so very different but the vehicle NOT so very different.

So begs the question (since I have been looking for a new 100 for me), how many miles is too many to buy one?

Depends on the deal. Depends on location. Depends on maintenance items that have been done. Depends on previous owner and who actually drove it. Depends on if garaged each day. Depends on money sunk in mods that previous owner thinks is worth more than you do. Depends on what needs repairing that is a good negotiating tool but yet you can do yourself. Just depends on the deal and the “deal” is made with the initial purchase price. Certainly not due to having low miles. Low miles, more times than not, is the reason it is not a “deal”.

but worry about big issues (catastrophic engine/transmission failures).
We are talking Land Cruisers correct?

Last edited:
So begs the question (since I have been looking for a new 100 for me), how many miles is too many to buy one? I bought the one with 90k some miles and returned it (now kind of regrettably), and I am looking at LCs that are upgraded with Dobinsons lifts, and a few mods in the 240K-270K mile range with good service records and little/no rust and cleanish interiors (everything works), but worry about big issues (catastrophic engine/transmission failures). The brakes/radiator stuff I can deal with. After having two LCs previously, I mostly know what I am getting myself into.

Just curious if there are any real hard lines? As it has been mentioned to me before, they are all 20+ years old and stuff is going to fail sooner than later with just age alone, but I still feel finding a sub 150K milage, or lower, to be a better choice - at mentally.

bull nailed it above. It’s about condition of the truck, miles mean nothing on the 2UZ platform. (It’s the million mile engine). Find the cleanest, well maintained truck you can, forget about the number on the odo.

Stop sweating the miles, look at the thread your in… plenty over 300k in here. Otherwise this might not be the platform for you, The fleet is aging, we all replace stuff on these.

I think you’ve made your decision. If feasible, I think you can go back year after year of threads and see what a large number of issues, failures and repairs on sub 150k low mileage Hundys… that some would think is surprising and shouldn’t happen. And without a doubt many issues are due to not being driven enough. Oxidation, rust, dry seals and gaskets. Not keeping it a well polished oiled machine.
And you just returned a perfect example of that with 90k miles. They all will have repairs from time to time. The big rub is the initial purchase price of the high vs. the low mileage copy. The price is so very different but the vehicle NOT so very different.

Depends on the deal. Depends on location. Depends on maintenance items that have been done. Depends on previous owner and who actually drove it. Depends on if garaged each day. Depends on money sunk in mods that previous owner thinks is worth more than you do. Depends on what needs repairing that is a good negotiating tool but yet you can do yourself. Just depends on the deal and the “deal” is made with the initial purchase price. Certainly not due to having low miles. Low miles, more times than not, is the reason it is not a “deal”.

We are talking Land Cruisers correct?
Yes to all of your above insights.

The thing that killed my 2003, was that it was stolen and the body totaled. So no getting around that unless I am putting metal tubes around, and going a route that 100s shouldn't. My 1998 was total 3 times, and kept my young drivers safe and sound. So all good.

I suppose I look at it from the point of view that if I had one with sub 100K milage to sell, I myself would taut that as a major advantage, and all things being equal as can be, if I had to pick between two LCs, I'd be willing to offer a premium to the with substantially lower milage.

These are all thought experiments, and I appreciate the input.

if I had to pick between two LCs, I'd be willing to offer a premium to the with substantially lower milage.
This is where people go wrong. Save money, buy the cheaper one with more miles and most likely more newer parts. Put saved money back into truck when needed. 20 years old is 20 years old, 90k vs 300k doesn’t change age on rubber and components. But I’d take my chances that the 300k was mostly highway and lots of maintenance.

Last edited:
Bull knows. It’s all about service records so that you can budget for maintenance. Whether purchasing a vehicle with 100k or 300k miles, it’s reasonable to expect to spend around $5k on services over the next two years of ownership. low price > low mileage.

Yes to all of your above insights.

The thing that killed my 2003, was that it was stolen and the body totaled. So no getting around that unless I am putting metal tubes around, and going a route that 100s shouldn't. My 1998 was total 3 times, and kept my young drivers safe and sound. So all good.

I suppose I look at it from the point of view that if I had one with sub 100K milage to sell, I myself would taut that as a major advantage, and all things being equal as can be, if I had to pick between two LCs, I'd be willing to offer a premium to the with substantially lower milage.

These are all thought experiments, and I appreciate the input.
The things I’ve done to the 100s I’ve owned that were tough:

1. Replaced the Starter.
2. Replaced the muffler (just a pain)
3. Timing belt, water pump, idler etc.

If you have the coin to pay someone to do those things, then great, but if you don’t I think those are tougher diy jobs depending on wrenching experience. I’ve read stories about the steering rack, diff bushings, etc. So maybe buy one with all of those things already done 🍻.

I think Penny's now warmed up for the second half :)

IMG_0506.JPG

Low miles are overrated. I bought a 1998 with 70k miles 10 years ago and I’m pretty sure I’m the one who did all the maintenance……. Low miles without records is risky. Buy one with decent service history and rock out

Low miles are overrated. I bought a 1998 with 70k miles 10 years ago and I’m pretty sure I’m the one who did all the maintenance……. Low miles without records is risky. Buy one with decent service history and rock out
That's what I did - bought my 05' with 256k miles, 1 owner, and meticulous service history at the same Lexus dealership...hoping it pays off...so far so great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom