Post Your Blackstone Report (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have only ever done the blackstone thing when I buy a new truck - part of my baseline. Do you guys have a recommend frequency for taking further samples? To be honest I only ever read the words the dude writes, the numbers to me are meaningless. It is easy to see how one could get somewhat compulsive to requesting these reports - much like the aftermarket temp gauges we all have :oops:
I typically run a blackstone report once or twice a year; however, that will vary if I have a new cruiser and if there are values that I want to monitor closely. For example on my current cruiser, I've changed the oil 6 times since I bought it (approx 7,000 miles) and ran two BS reports and will run a 3rd report on the next oil change. I had high wear metal levels from one report to the other which made me raise an eyebrow. Once I'm confident the values are consistent and I expect a positive trend, I will go back to the 1-2 x yearly reports.

I have only ever done the blackstone thing when I buy a new truck - part of my baseline. Do you guys have a recommend frequency for taking further samples? To be honest I only ever read the words the dude writes, the numbers to me are meaningless. It is easy to see how one could get somewhat compulsive to requesting these reports - much like the aftermarket temp gauges we all have :oops:
I try to do a BS sample every other oil change unless I see something that concerns me.

My brother used to run a shop for a trucking company and they did this to monitor their engines and could predict the rebuild schedule so they could do it as PM. This way they could schedule when the truck would be down and prepare for it.

I truly had not realized how far between samples I've been. I feel as though I've neglected it for a while, because I've been so damn busy I haven't had time. I need to do my 100k major maintenance too, before anything becomes a problem. I'm already 10k past that milestone.

I also do BS samples on my other vehicles as well, just to monitor what they're doing.

Not as often as my LC, but they don't get near the miles the LC does.

I try to do a BS sample every other oil change unless I see something that concerns me.

My brother used to run a shop for a trucking company and they did this to monitor their engines and could predict the rebuild schedule so they could do it as PM. This way they could schedule when the truck would be down and prepare for it.

I truly had not realized how far between samples I've been. I feel as though I've neglected it for a while, because I've been so damn busy I haven't had time. I need to do my 100k major maintenance too, before anything becomes a problem. I'm already 10k past that milestone.

I also do BS samples on my other vehicles as well, just to monitor what they're doing.

Not as often as my LC, but they don't get near the miles the LC does.
The predictive maintenance value of the BS report is a great tool!

Funny I just got my sample kit in the mail haven’t even opened it up yet, I’ve got a fresh oil change….am I supposed to run up some miles on it before I send in a sample?

Funny I just got my sample kit in the mail haven’t even opened it up yet, I’ve got a fresh oil change….am I supposed to run up some miles on it before I send in a sample?
Yes. Just take a mid-drain sample at your normal oil change interval and go from there.

Would there be any benefit to sending in a catch can sample, as opposed to mid-drain sample?

Shamefully I haven't performed any analysis yet. But would it be wrong to do it just for the 'hilarity' (despair, truly) of the results in the knowledge that a rebuild is likely soon coming in my sitch?
"LANDLOCKED93: Sir. What hole in the ground did you get this sample from again? We here at BS always recommend using the kind of oil anyone can purchase online or in a store. Please resubmit a legitimate sample from a motor vehicle engine." lol

Would there be any benefit to sending in a catch can sample, as opposed to mid-drain sample?

Shamefully I haven't performed any analysis yet. But would it be wrong to do it just for the 'hilarity' (despair, truly) of the results in the knowledge that a rebuild is likely soon coming in my sitch?
"LANDLOCKED93: Sir. What hole in the ground did you get this sample from again? We here at BS always recommend using the kind of oil anyone can purchase online or in a store. Please resubmit a legitimate sample from a motor vehicle engine." lol
It's your money. You can pay for that analysis if you like.

Will it mean anything? Not really.

Here's mine. Its been a minute...maybe I should run a second sample
1642039396542.png

Wow, that's a great report. SUPER low miles on your cruiser too....amazing!
That report was dated in 2007.......

Here's a timely BS report for my baby. Don't know why I have a spike in silicon but I'm going to run another BS report on my next oil change. This time, I'm going 3,000 miles and doing a TBN.
Blackstone.PNG

Last edited:
Here's a timely BS report for my baby. Don't know why I have a spike in silicone but I'm going to run another BS report on my next oil change. This time, I'm going 3,000 miles and doing a TBN.
View attachment 2892443
My spike in silicon was due to a hole in my air filter. (silicon, as in sand, not silicone as in a sealant)

Sometimes, if you happen to "drop" your dirty filter during a change and it knocks off some of the dirt into the intake line, it will suck into the engine at start-up and can disperse that way. It may take a couple oil changes to eliminate it.

I had considered doing the washable filter, however they have a slightly larger open area between the fibers and will allow a slightly higher amount of dust through than a paper filter element.

I have stuck with the Toyota paper element so I'm just replacing and not keeping additional in stock. The miles I run are not typically dirty, so it's not a frequent change for me anyway.

The engine is now pulled and truck getting ready for a 6.0. worst part is the first sample was 10k after a head gasket job.

Screenshot_20220106-062731~2.png

What's up with this damn silicon?
View attachment 2932725
1) Replace your air filter with a new paper version (It's finer filtration than the washable polyester one) Wipe out the internals before installing the new one, taking care to clean out any dust that dropped from the used filter into the "clean air" side of the opening.
2) Empty your tuna can on the bottom and wash it out.
3) Clean out the inner part of your intake filter housing lid and hose to remove all stuck on contaminants.

It took about 3 oil changes for mine to come back down after a tiny hole in a previous air filter. Scared the crap out of me and I started getting all worried about engine rebuilds. I do very little off road and it really bothered me since I am rarely in dusty conditions (hardly even gravel roads)

1) Replace your air filter with a new paper version (It's finer filtration than the washable polyester one) Wipe out the internals before installing the new one, taking care to clean out any dust that dropped from the used filter into the "clean air" side of the opening.
2) Empty your tuna can on the bottom and wash it out.
3) Clean out the inner part of your intake filter housing lid and hose to remove all stuck on contaminants.

It took about 3 oil changes for mine to come back down after a tiny hole in a previous air filter. Scared the crap out of me and I started getting all worried about engine rebuilds. I do very little off road and it really bothered me since I am rarely in dusty conditions (hardly even gravel roads)
Hmmm, I'll check it out! My filter is new as of 7K miles ago and I've cleaned everything you mention as of about 3 months ago. I will do it again and report back. How often do you empty the tuna can?

Hmmm, I'll check it out! My filter is new as of 7K miles ago and I've cleaned everything you mention as of about 3 months ago. I will do it again and report back. How often do you empty the tuna can?
Whenever I think about it. Since I rarely see dust, it's not often.

Since you are HI and may see sand and beach more than I, you may do it each time you check the oil until you see a pattern. Some guys do it every day if they are desert driving or driving in a row on dusty gravel roads.

Install a snorkel. That makes it better!

Whenever I think about it. Since I rarely see dust, it's not often.

Since you are HI and may see sand and beach more than I, you may do it each time you check the oil until you see a pattern. Some guys do it every day if they are desert driving or driving in a row on dusty gravel roads.

Install a snorkel. That makes it better!
I definitely take the cruiser on some very dusty paths. Hell, I take my girls horseback riding twice a week and there's a lot of dust there too. I need to check it as soon as the spousal unit brings the cruiser back to me.

Some of my EOA results on a 96 FZJ80 showed up with a low level of "silicon" but everything was tight (new Toyota air filter, no air leaks) so came to the conclusion after a few discussions with Blackstone (that silicone in the oil shows up in their testing as silicon) that it was likely from the sealants used when a dealership resealed the oil pans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom