Post tranmission fluid change issues... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Changed the fluid in my LX470 today (123K) and followed the directions on the site including dropping the pan and talking out about 9 quarts of fluid. I am pretty sure the fluid level is within .5quarts of the original about that I had before I started this project. I now how a check engine light on with the P0778 and P2716. The car has a clunk when it goes into Drive and is super sluggish... I used Toyota WS fluid and can figure out whats going on. Maybe I need more fluid? Any advise would be amazing! Thanks!

Daniel

What year is your LX? Looks like both codes refer to the pressure control solenoid. Did you unplug something and maybe forget to plug it back in? Or knock a plug loose?

Can you elaborate on what you did, exactly? Draining and dropping the pan won't remove 9 qts of fluid. If you refilled with 9 after that I think you are way overfilled.

its at 2004 LX470. I drained the pan, then dropped the pan which got 4.5 quarts out. Then installed the pan back on with a new gasket. Then I added 4.5 quarts of new fluid, after that I pulled off the trans cooler line and ran the rig for about 5-8 seconds while pumping out the oil into a bucket about 1.5 -2 quarts at a time, then I would refill what I pumped out and did that several times. The fluid looked super clean so I stopped at about 9 quarts total fluid exchange.

I didn't unplug anything internally from the transmission or externally. Their are some wiring harnesses next to the fill plug of the transmission but I check and the are all plugged in. I guess I could try and unplugging them and putting them back together. Do you know if the sensors are integral or external? Thanks guys!

Well, I'm no transmission expert, so I can only suggest simple stuff. Check your level with the dipstick or check plug, especially if you didn't carefully measure the removed volume each time - people don't estimate fluid volumes well. It takes a while to warm up the transmission, which might be better done by idling your truck rather than driving it. I don't think you need to do the whole "pin jumping" thing just to make sure you are in the ballpark. Recheck those connections like @Simplespirit mentioned.

Did you check for proper level at temperature like the procedure says to?

You being pretty sure and actually running the car up to temperature and opening the drain at the correct transmission fluid temperature are two very different things.

Id bet you have too much or too little fluid.

I just did the transmission fluid level check procedure, I ended up adding another .5 quart and I will see what it does on the next test. The transmission fluid is currently too hot. Once I dial in the fluid level I hope all is good.

got some pink frothy fluid out of the check plug. Do you think their is a chance that I got air into the system? Any ideas how to get that out?

guys in my infinite wisdom I have figured out what the issue was. I must have bumped the lock on the main electrical plug that goes into the transmission. With it unlocked it was not making a good connection causing all kinds of performance issues. Attached is a photo of that connector and the white colored locking lever seen in the photo. Car runs like a dream!!!!

The other photo is a 3/4" tubing and a funnel that makes filling the transmission much easier than a silly pump from underneath the car. For the tubing to fit into the fill hole on the transmission I used a short section of 3/8" hose.

Thank for the input guys!!! Good leaning experience for me!

IMG_3419.JPG

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Fxxx that funnel looks amazing. I crawled underneath when I flushed my trans his way.

That's routed to the fill port on the PS side?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom