Lazy man WS ATF filler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I didn't feel like pumping 12+ quarts of ATF into the tranny manually. I made this for ATF fluid change.

WS_Filler1.jpg
WS_Filler2.jpg

Nice clean job, don't forget the catch can/drip pan.;)

Bucfl, 2004+ do not have dip stick for transmission. He ran line to fill plug.

Last edited:
You had me at "Lazy man".

What is the white thing at the end?

Can it just sit there with the fill plug open as you do the start/drain at the cooler line?

What's the orientation for the last pic?

I miss my dipstick.

You had me at "Lazy man".

What is the white thing at the end?

Plastic PEX elbow. I think sticking the hose end into the fill hole without the elbow should work too.

WS_Filler5.jpg

Can it just sit there with the fill plug open as you do the start/drain at the cooler line?

Yes.

What's the orientation for the last pic?

I miss my dipstick.
The picture was taken from under the truck on driver side, with camera pointing up. The hose on the left side of the picture is from engine bay.

So how did it go? I envision myself still making a mess.

Are you doing this change because of instinct?

WS is a lifetime fluid and I was under the impression the fluid doesn't handle humidity well, which is why the tranny is sealed.

WS is not lifetime (or it will be lifetime because the life of the tranny is over when the fluid gets too old :) ).
The tranny is not sealed. It has a breather, and it has plugs for draining, filling, and an overflow for level. Most people say sealed when it doesn't have a dipstick (Big difference).

WS is not lifetime (or it will be lifetime because the life of the tranny is over when the fluid gets too old :) ).
Understand your position but do you have facts to support. I have an LS430 I haven't changed so just wondering if someone knows more than Mr T...

What is the size of the hose and how long do we need?

I was under the impression that for a proper flush you have to do it with a pump, otherwise you have a significant amount of old fluid still in the transmission?

You do not need a pump. Just let the transmission pump do the work. But since they took out the dip stick in USA models in 2004 it's PITA to fill through the fill hole. It's slow and hard not to burn ones arm or melt a fill hose getting to that fill plug. That's why @medtro made the hose with 90 degree elbow.

Lexus online scheduled maintenance recommends Replace transmission fluid ever 72 months/60K miles if towing. Otherwise here is what Lexus states:
"Transmission (GX, LX)
On GX 470 and LX 470, the transmission
and transmission fluid are a
completely sealed unit. Therefore,
periodic checks and replacement
of the transmission fluid are not
required, and there is no dipstick on
the transmission. Any repairs that
require adding or replacing fluid
should be performed by a qualified
technician following precedures in
Lexus service and repair publications."

Although they call it sealed, @uHu is correct it is not. In-fact a TBS came out on the A750F 04 May 05 IIRC for low speed shutter. It was found by guys on mud, that just doing a full 12qt flush took care of issue. It was believed this was from moisture entering the breather.

3/8 hose. I don't have the length of the hose, or the better answer is custom length. You should be able to figure out the length quickly.
Finally got the initial 4 qts done today. I got about 5' of 5/8 OD clear tube without elbow. It fit right into the fill port and stay there. Totally mess free refill process.

It's not just USA - European models as well and I assume all models worldwide with the WS fluid, do not have the dip stick.
If not with a pump, what is the procedure then to change the fluid? Drain-refill, until 12qts are flushed? Wouldn't this mix old with new fluid?

Drain pan and fill to start with clean fluid at pickup tube. Then just disconnect transmission cooler return line (top line PS of radiator). Hook a hose to nipple and run to catch bucket. Let engine idle running transmission pump, as you fill transmission with same amount as is coming out. Do not let run low. Use 12 qts. I always have extra qts on hand for topping.

@2001LC , thanks for the great posts here. Just to clarify--looks like you're using the return line for refill, instead of running a hose to the fill port on the tranny--is that right? And did you have to pressurize your source or does this work with just gravity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom