Post 60k Toyota Dealership Service (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heritage 2020

SILVER Star
Threads
Greetings All,

I shared my positive experiences with my local Toyota dealership, and this is what I’ve observed after a week of daily driving—post 60k service.

We all get used to the feel of our vehicles from frequent driving —thus changes occur so gradually that they are difficult to notice.

After 1 week and approx 500 miles of daily driving:

-8spd transmission shifts significantly smoother. To me it is very noticeable when pulling up to stop signs and rolling away, or under full throttle acceleration. It doesn’t hunt between gears as much and holds 8th when cruising signbetter.
-I drive the same route (mix of backroads and highway) at the same speed daily, buy the same Shell 87 octane at the same station, same weather as week prior, and I’ve gone from 13.9 mpg to 14.8 mpg (per vehicle computer).
-My HE is armored up and has BFG AT KO2s LT285/65R-18 42psi, so any mpg improvement is slight due to larger tires and poor aerodynamics—but offsets the cost of the BG aftermarket treatment if the small mpg benefit persists over time.
-Truck feels “livelier or peppier” which is as subjective a description as it gets. I feel it when under acceleration even though I’m probably not accelerating any faster/slower. Feels “better.”

NOTE: My HE has been exclusively Toyota dealership maintained every 5k since new (0w/20 full synthetic) and is not babied—as it is a daily driver and has taken my family from coast to coast several times—15k miles per year since new. I’ve owned it since 39k miles, but the previous owner was every bit as maintenance obsessed as I.

It goes without saying that this is my “N=1” and is not representative of any norm or extensive data set.

Hope this is of interest to others who are maintenance fanatics as I.

IMG_0110.jpeg

Last edited:
How did they do a coolant exchange and only bill you for 1 gallon of super long life coolant?

I'd actually go check that they actually greased the u joints.

what is Coolant Conditioner?

half they stuff they did sounds very gimmicky and some parts of it seem like they didn't do something right

How did they do a coolant exchange and only bill you for 1 gallon of super long life coolant?

I'd actually go check that they actually greased the u joints.

what is Coolant Conditioner?

half they stuff they did sounds very gimmicky and some parts of it seem like they didn't do something right

I was just gunna say this. I would think even without draining the block it would be at least a couple of gallons.

All those "Treatments" and all those other snake oils they charged you for are not recommended maintenance items by Toyota, or they would be in the maintenance section of the manual . The dealer nickled and dimed you.

Also the gasket 90430-12031 that they charged you $3.61 is just the oil drain plug gasket and should be less than a dollar. Really I think it should just be included with an oil change.

The “engine performance restoration”, “ethanol treatment”, “oil system treatment”, “fuel/air induction cleaning service” are honestly all a waste. Those items aren’t even part of what Toyota calls a 60k mile service.

I’d really question how they did the coolant exchange with one gallon of coolant.

The price on the transmission oil service seems very odd. Did the just drain what’s in the pan or did they somehow flush the entire transmission??

Please please please go look at your ujoints in the driveshafts and see if there is any evidence of them greasing them.

I’ve had a friend take his 4Runner to the dealer for a 60k mile service. Claimed they greased the ujoints and they didn’t even touch them. But stated they did.

I know you’ve praised the service writer guy in another thread but please remember that their job is to sell service. And I’d say he oversold you.

@Mrtwooooo

I’m quite mechanically inclined (I rebuild engines and have restored a Chevelle SS from ruins to beautiful), but prefer to outsource work on grunt vehicles/daily drivers—and limit my hands on work to my fun cars and motorcycles (and a vintage John Deere tractor that I can’t seem to get a few parts for).

I put my HE on my home garage lift and looked everything over. I am 100% satisfied that all work was done to OEM standards.

Yes, the undercarriage lube services look great—as it should be and the transmission and radiator were fully serviced per Toyota OEM standards.

Sir, I am content with my service advisor and Toyota tech—and wasn’t “over sold” at all as I agreed to every service on my bill and am a loyal customer who respects the services rendered.

I shared page 1 of 2 regarding services rendered.

Note: Relationships matter. Building a positive business relationship with a strong service department team to me is highly beneficial for both the customer and dealership.

Last edited:
🤣
to each there own

Last edited:
No love for the differentials?
@goldwater58

Oil/filter, Diffs, transfer case, brake fluid, power steering, radiator flush/fill, transmission, etc., were done at 40k to baseline the vehicle from the previous owner who was meticulous in Toyota OEM dealership maintenance.

This is my daily driver, nothing more and nothing less.

I don’t like working on it as I prefer working on other vehicles.

I have put this pig on my lift and am satisfied that all services were/are done each time I bring her home.

Note: I do all of my maintenance on my tow rig 2016 F250 PSD as I like working on diesels and don’t have a Ford dealership that I trust as much.

Last edited:
@goldwater58

Oil/filter, Diffs, transfer case, brake fluid, power steering, radiator flush/fill, transmission, etc., were done at 40k to baseline the vehicle from the previous owner who was meticulous in Toyota OEM dealership maintenance.

This is my daily driver, nothing more and nothing less.

I don’t like working on it as I prefer working on other vehicles and like what Penske/Wolfchase does in maintaining my heavily used mule.

I have put this pig on my lift and am satisfied that all services were/are done each time I bring her home.

Alas, I am a sucker as a sucker is born every minute. Sigh, I need to do better at not getting ripped off by my dealership.
Amen. I use the dealer for my 200 because i had enough of maintaining equipment - trucks, boats, airplanes, dozers, tractors, etc - when I was young. Id rather pay for a shop’s labor and let them deal with properly disposing of the replaced fluids. My time is better spent doing other things.

More power to everyone that enjoys doing this work. But don’t assume we all want to and definitely don’t assume that a person who does the work at home does a better job than a dealer shop.

Amen. I use the dealer for my 200 because i had enough of maintaining equipment - trucks, boats, airplanes, dozers, tractors, etc - when I was young. Id rather pay for a shop’s labor and let them deal with properly disposing of the replaced fluids. My time is better spent doing other things.

More power to everyone that enjoys doing this work. But don’t assume we all want to and definitely don’t assume that a person who does the work at home does a better job than a dealer shop.
@stonepa

Yes sir. My sentiments exactly. Restoring and maintaining my fun stuff is where I prefer to use my time.

This pig will do great with ethical and competitive professional dealer care.

Last edited:
I would love to find a qualified, diligent and ethical shop to service my rig. I just can’t in my local area, so I do it. I know it’s done right, but it’s not my highest and best use of time. I say congratulations to anyone who has found the tech/shop they can have confidence in!

While I totally understand the logic behind using a shop you trust for the work you’d rather not do, I’m with @Mrtwooooo on a lot of the listed work being illogical or totally unnecessary. One gallon of coolant isn’t enough to drain and refill anything on our trucks. Many of the other services are totally unnecessary and likely made zero tangible difference in the operation of this vehicle, and in fact there’s an argument against doing them as it disturbs properly functioning parts and statistically increases the risk of problems in the future.

And the issue here is a shop selling snake oil like that and apparently misbilling parts and supplies has undercut the trust needed to let them do the work in the first place. IMO, of course.

While I totally understand the logic behind using a shop you trust for the work you’d rather not do, I’m with @Mrtwooooo on a lot of the listed work being illogical or totally unnecessary. One gallon of coolant isn’t enough to drain and refill anything on our trucks. Many of the other services are totally unnecessary and likely made zero tangible difference in the operation of this vehicle, and in fact there’s an argument against doing them as it disturbs properly functioning parts and statistically increases the risk of problems in the future.

And the issue here is a shop selling snake oil like that and apparently misbilling parts and supplies has undercut the trust needed to let them do the work in the first place. IMO, of course.
This

My local Toyota dealer was doing the same thing with the upselling of fuel/coolant/transmission additives. This appears to be widespread amongst dealers and not just Toyota. Seen this with Audi also. Been taking my Land Cruisers to a solid Indy shop for the last 20 years. To each his own.

…And the issue here is a shop selling snake oil like that and apparently misbilling parts and supplies has undercut the trust needed to let them do the work in the first place. IMO, of course.
100%

truth

My local Toyota dealer was doing the same thing with the upselling of fuel/coolant/transmission additives. This appears to be widespread amongst dealers and not just Toyota. Seen this with Audi also. Been taking my Land Cruisers to a solid Indy shop for the last 20 years. To each his own.
We have a friend who was a FORD mechanic, then service writer, now service manager. Dealership $$$ are made in the shop, (not new car sales, in comparison). Service writers do get compensated for upselling. Certainly, they don't need the hassle of selling stuff that will come back to bite them later. But, their is plenty of gray area between FSM recommended and, "snake oil."
I say if someone is happy with what they got, who am I to rain on their parade?
Our beasts are made to handle quite a range of use, and, abuse. Ain't no finicky Ferrari!

I am thoroughly pleased with the dealership relationship/experience I have at Penske/Wolfchase Toyota in Cordova TN.

As mentioned before this is my daily driver, and I prefer to work on my other vehicles vs. the pig.

If I could give Penske/Wolfchase 10 stars on a 5 scale I would. The work done is exceptional and as a motorsports enthusiast I would not ask them to change a thing. I check everything on my lift and am impressed with the quality of work. Work was done perfectly—per service standards for each item documented.

There have been many times where I’ve asked for work done (where they could have made extra $$ such as brakes replaced and rotors replaced)—only to be told no, they have life left—and let’s monitor it over time.

I view my dealership as a consultant as they know me as a customer very well.

As far as I’m concerned they are better than some independent shops—as I receive the benefit of Toyota dealership expertise/service and records.

I agreed to the service and signed for the aftermarket service items.]

Win-win relationships matter in all aspects of life.

NOTE: I’d recommend consumers have/develop strong mechanical knowledge and develop a business relationship with an outstanding service manager and master tech at a dealership vs. going all “Baba Yaga” on one page of a comprehensive service printout.

Last edited:
It's your Land Cruiser, spend what makes you happy. That said most dealerships will tell you that the happiest customers they have are the ones they make the most money on. I personally will follow the recommended service in the manual Toyota gives me with my truck. The dealership has tried to upscale me every time I have taken my 2020 tundra and LC in for service since they each left the free maintenance period. Fuel injectors cleaner. diff service, power steering fluid exchange. Ect . Each time I ask them to show me in the manual where these are listed. They inform me its their dealership recommended service not Toyotas.

You may feel like it's good to build a relationship with your adviser but it's no different than building a relationship with a pimp. Their job is to sell you as much as they can as they work on quota's and bonuses. They are never going to send you home with out recommending service. Ive worked in this field and know it's a massive profit center and not what I would call a honest relationship recommendation .

Again , if you want to spend your money this way then great, enjoy it.

Statements above are just my opinion and are worth exactly what you paid to receive them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom