post 2003 nav delete how to. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, made the voltage converter, it tested good, got everything wired up but couldn’t get a clear signal from the rear camera. Tried two different rca sets. I am running it through a coupler... but I’m not sure that would make the signal so terrible. I yanked the stock camera and am going to get one off amazon and fab a little mounting plate for it.

I’m not sure using the stock camera is worth the hassle. I think Jerry even said his only worked for a month after his install?

I abandoned mine and went with a Kenwood one since I have a Kenwood radio. I figured with the tire carrier a relocation would make sense, plus the modern resolution is nicer.

for sure if relocating on a spare tire vertical post.
It's true, mine bit the dust, but it lasted almost a year. A newer camera does look better picture wise.

This is probably already covered, but this thread is now 23 pages deep and takes forever to dig through the details. I have in my notes that for the non-nav brackets, 86208-60020 and 86207-660020 are alternative part numbers for 86208-60030 and 86207-60030. The -030 version of the parts seems to be out of production and unavailable at all the sources I tried last week. Does anyone know what's meant by "alternate"? Modifications or difficulties? Or just Toyota made two sets of parts that are fully interchangeable? I'm gearing up to order the rest of my parts in the coming 1-2 days.

1561787301022.png

1561787360075.png

They have additional metal on the sides. They work just fine though. I used them with no problems.

I strongly recommend anyone considering this project to read through everything. I too had a hard time grasping everything it involved and only jumped to do it when someone with the same production date range as me posted their list. Looking back through everything, all the info was there. I believe there is something intimidating about this project, that makes even capable people shut down. Read everything in this thread. I bugged the crap out of Jerry. If you still have questions post here first so some of us that have done the swap can help Jerry out with answers.

Last edited:
I strongly recommend anyone considering this project to read through everything.

Totally agree. I've read all 23 pages several times but was just being lazy when I didn't find what I was looking for quickly.

I finally got all my nav conversion parts ordered today, although I have to follow up with each supplier and make sure they are actually in stock. Sourcing parts is becoming very difficult and I ended up having to spread my order across four sources - partsourq, Mcgeorge, mega zip, and toyotapartsdeal.com. Carmarka listed some great prices, but notified me after the order was placed that only one part was in stock and only two more even had projected arrival dates (which were roughly 60 days). Ssg.asia also had good prices, but also only showed inventory for a couple part numbers.

Somebody could probably make a couple bucks on the side if they could figure out how to source all these together in a kit. I'm sure it's much tougher than it sounds due to the different part number reuiqrements per generation, return issues, etc not to mention finding a source for the parts in the first place.

Other than confirming my order is real and not just phantom visa charges, all I have left is to buy the actual audio components, then wait.

It’s a big project for sure; I was fortunate that McGeorge had everything I needed except for the brackets that I sourced from Amayama, and of course, the wiring harness from Jerry that makes the connections a plug & play operation. Totally worth it once you get there and everything works; having hard buttons for HVAC control and Apple CarPlay is fantastic. Ups the functionality and enjoyment of the truck. Hang in there.

I have a feeling Jerry may not have known what he was getting himself into when he started this thread. I really tried not to bug him and ask others too.

Getting the instrument cluster in and out and the radio back in was probably the hardest for me. Figuring out the wiring for the radio was tougher than I expected. I ended up swapping out everything, speakers, amp, headunit. Much better. Gotta get these parts on ebay soon.

Just that this was figured out at all is amazing. But if someone can engineer an android based headunit to control HVAC surely someone could engineer an aftermarket solution for physical buttons right?

Just that this was figured out at all is amazing. But if someone can engineer an android based headunit to control HVAC surely someone could engineer an aftermarket solution for physical buttons right?
This is exactly what I was thinking about. If some had enough capital, you would need to contact one of the Chinese manufactures of the android head unit cause they know how to interface with the oem system. Get them to make a panel that has a clock/ trip computer part up top, one pieced with ac controls down below and a double din slot.

2004 LC
Everything is done and works except for the MPG in the top left corner of the display. Initially I was having some issues with the AC and after ordering a replacement amp I went in and realized one of the brackets was just loose and I didn't need the part after all. If anyone needs that part I am happy to send it for a discounted price.

I am sure the MPG thing is probably just a loose wire as well. In the picture shown the outside temperature isn't working but it works now that the AC works.

I can confirm that getting everything to fit back in is one of the hardest parts. For anyone who's car experience was as limited as mine (I had replaced a batter and a few tires before this but that is all) I just want you to know that it is doable. Just go slow and think why you are doing things because down the line when you are trouble shooting why the AC doesn't work its helpful to think of all of the reasons and not immediately jump to buying a new part.

My Aunt has a 2003 LX and she is now asking if I will do this to her car now.

I owe a HUGE thank you to everyone that has posted on here and especially the main man @jerryb! He was very helpful during the actual process and I don't know that I could have done it without his harnesses.

after.jpg

before.jpg

good to hear.
the dashes are all about the two splices. look back to the picture I posted with the red circles. IT's rough taking the instrument panel out again but that's the only way. The only 100% fix is to check continuity at those two red circles to the end of the new M9 connector.

The key to the splices behind the dash is just make sure you have a good connection. If it doesn’t work when you put it all back together, I found it was easier and less stressful to pull the center stack rather than the cluster again. I just cut and reversed the wires at the center stack and MPG worked. Pulling the cluster was a little stressful with how you line everything back up, but it worked.

Unfortunately it looks like I’m late to the party. Does anyone know if there is an alternative for the heater housing part #55912-60150? It appears that you guys have picked up every last one 😭

That was the last part I grabbed. I was told when I ordered mine, that it was the last one in the country. But then my local dealer said they found one for me. So last month there were at least two. Call Performance Toyota in bountiful/woods cross Utah. They may still have it.

kind of funny they still had it. They ordered it without telling me, I had just emailed them but when they didn’t respond in a day I ordered another one out of panic. Then they called and said they got it. Perhaps truly the last one left?

I finally got my set up installed in my LX 470. I used @jerryb wiring harness and it was awesome. As he said a few posts ago the behind the dash picture was spot on.
I installed the Alpine ILX-F309 9" screen. I love it. The factory head unit was the one thing that I did not like about this truck.
Thanks Jerry

That does look good. Can you take some side shots of it? How was is for space in the back doing the install?

That does look good. Can you take some side shots of it? How was is for space in the back doing the install?
The head unit has a few adjustment levels, and it is perfect for my setup... I can clearly see the time, temp and metrics. I do have to lean up a little bit to see the buttons. And I can see the top of the AC controls clearly. And the screen takes up all of the room in between. Perfect 👌

I have an 05 (11/04 manufacture date) LX470. I ended up going with the Land Cruiser parts due to lack of availability for LX parts. It works great.

I used the 88650-60810 AC amp.

The Alpine ILX-F309 is a single din, so that helps with stuffing cables.

These are the pictures that I have right now:

This shows the gap up close, I am going to 3D print a filler plate for it:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom