Possible Exploratory Day (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That it does. I can't wait to bring my 40 there and play once I get it set up the way I want.

That it does. I can't wait to bring my 40 there and play once I get it set up the way I want.

Does your 40 run/drive?

The only reason I ask is, if you wait til you "have it set up the way you want" you will never wheel......like Phil.....:flipoff2:

My FJ40 is currently restored to stock form, and drives very well. However, it is 400 miles away back home, and I have no place down here to work on it or store it. Thus, my dad drives it around to go bird hunting and fishing, or occasionally pull stumps and drag trees.

This is it before I put the Safari racks on it:
n11400264_30962329_2279.jpg

It is my FJ55 that is torn into a million pieces, and looks like this:
6220_541315108135_11400264_31965319_3658233_n.jpg

I'm planning on having 33" high-traction tires on it, rear locker, front add-a-leaf to help with the new winch I'm putting on it, and possible axillary lights for the rack on top for night wheeling. I'm going to work on it whenever I go home, and after the snow/salt goes away I will have a place up by Indy to store/work on it. If I can find someone with a place to work on it or store it down here by Louisville then I'll bring it down sooner, but until then it sits at home. Oh well. In the meanwhile, I'll keep webwheeling and rolling in the Buick!:wrench:

Awesome looking 40 Brian. Did you do all the work yourself? You might want to ditch the Safari rack for Indiana wheeling purposes...too many low hanging tree limbs. Actually you might want to ditch the top too. There are some trails at the Badlands which that truck should not see without some protection. But there are many places you could go with that and not have a problem. We have had other stock rigs for example do the creek run with no problems...me for one. Some 33 x 10.50 MTs would be nice so you might want to invest in a spare set of wheels on the cheep. There may be some outdoor storage possibilities in Indy if you hit up the right people. Looking forward to seeing your 40 in person.

I did the work on my 40 myself, with the help of a few friends, dad, with the occasional outsourcing (engine/tranny/tcase overhaul, and sandblasting/painting). I started out not knowing what a lug nut is, and now I can rebuild a carburetor or rewire it from scratch.

One inherits it from his 90 year old aunt. Besides, it gets better than twice the fuel efficiency than my 40 downhill with a tail wind! And it goes above 60 without complaints.

So, will a stock 40 with 33's be able to do what we did at Redbird, or are at least a rear locker and winch mandatory?

I did the work on my 40 myself, with the help of a few friends, dad, with the occasional outsourcing (engine/tranny/tcase overhaul, and sandblasting/painting). I started out not knowing what a lug nut is, and now I can rebuild a carburetor or rewire it from scratch.

One inherits it from his 90 year old aunt. Besides, it gets better than twice the fuel efficiency than my 40 downhill with a tail wind! And it goes above 60 without complaints.

Yeah......but......its a buick. :flipoff2:

BTW Toyota makes cars too :grinpimp:

So, will a stock 40 with 33's be able to do what we did at Redbird, or are at least a rear locker and winch mandatory?

My junk is stock on 32's but I'm Lincoln locked (welded) in the rear. Muddy climbs can be a real pain with/without a locker but a willingness to STAND ON THE SKINNY PEDAL can overcome some of that as well.:hillbilly: I would say some kind of locker would be a wise choice if nothing else. Aussie lockers are a great buy for around $300. As far as the winch goes as long as you are with others getting by without a winch for a while is ok.

DISCAIMER: most would tell you not to take advice from someone that drive like I do.;)

John why you gotta be hatin' on the Buicks man? My first car $150 rot box '67 Buick Wildcat 430ci 4bbl

John why you gotta be hatin' on the Buicks man? My first car $150 rot box '67 Buick Wildcat 430ci 4bbl

Hey Sweater Man, a '67 Buick Wildcat was also my first car that my Dad trusted me to drive in HS. The front was completetly smashed in but drivable. I believe a $200 ride. Great car, drank a lot of beer in that car:).
That car totally out did my first car that I paid for, a '76 Ford Granada with 3 on the tree. What a piece of s*** that was.:hillbilly:

My first car was a 1975 Buick Electra 225, 4 door hardtop. 455 cubic inches baby! I bought it for $200, (came with a FREE Chrysler Newport) drove it for 2 years, never changed the oil, sold it for $300. Still see it around town occasionally.

If you Buick lovers are looking for a fine new ride, the shop has a 89 buick century estate wagon with real wood stickers on the side.

Holy $!#@, real imitation wood grain! I'm drooling all over myself.

The Electra 225 was the last great land yacht.

If you Buick lovers are looking for a fine new ride, the shop has a 89 buick century estate wagon with real wood stickers on the side.

FS or FF?

Hey Sweater Man, a '67 Buick Wildcat was also my first car that my Dad trusted me to drive in HS. The front was completetly smashed in but drivable. I believe a $200 ride. Great car, drank a lot of beer in that car:).
That car totally out did my first car that I paid for, a '76 Ford Granada with 3 on the tree. What a piece of s*** that was.:hillbilly:

'67's rule! I also had a 2 door Lesabre and 4 door Special all '67's.

'67's rule! I also had a 2 door Lesabre and 4 door Special all '67's.

One of my most desired vehicles is a '67 Buick Sport Wagon. We had one when I was 10-11 yrs old, 1970 +/- a year. Even though I need another vehicle like I need the swine flu, I would buy one if I found the right one. Ours looked just like this one except no window tint and my Dad had Buick sport wheels on it. I think it had a 340 ci.

3699285625_a8213d0af0_m.jpg
3699285625_a8213d0af0_m.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom