Cirrhosis: '87 turbo build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Purchased in 2013 from Iowa 1987 standard cab /short bed turbo sr5.

Started snowing as soon as we arrived to look at it and kept getting heavier, near whiteout as we pulled away. I live in southern IL. Near St.Louis and a friend of mine near Chicago was having a tech day at his place the following week and asked if I wanted to bring it there. He has a 4 post lift which made it really nice to work on.

The frame is solid, only surface rust on back half. Cab is solid except for some crash damage on passenger side and one small hole in the floor.

I was surprised to see factory paint on the front half of the frame.

We pulled the gas tank to correct the non working factory pump and delete the after market external fuel pump which also did not work.

That got a little involved with having to clean out the pick up tube and return line tubes and also replacing a section of fuel line. Finished out tech day with BBQ, rc crawlers and cocktails! Good times!

Last edited:
Bed sides were toast but it had a bed liner that preserved most of the floor.

I decided that I will build another flat bed.

I went to the doctor for some abdominal issues that resulted in gallbladder removal and found out I have cirrhosis as well. The cirrhosis is due to a condition called hemochromatosis which causes a build up of iron in the blood. Bloodletting is the only treatment they have for this condition. Kind of weird as I have periodically joked about this as a cure all like they used to do a long time ago. With proper diet and care after losing some weight it is possible to never have to get a transplant. The '87 and I are in the same boat so I figured Cirrhosis was a good name for her.

The kick in the pants I needed to get motivated again came in the form of an elocker rear axle from an '07 Tacoma. We had one at work that got hit from behind and just slightly bent the housing which I will straighten. $100 core charge was all it cost. Closest matching solid Toyota axle is from an fj80/ lx450 and is still 2"s narrower. This is what I would like to put under it if I can locate a front axle for a decent price. If not it'll get a mini solid axle and keep the original rear end.

I decided to go ahead and tear it down to bare frame to get it ready for sand blasting. Started with engine and trans but made a poor decision to pull them as one unit. Got them out but very tough to manage by myself.

Last edited:
When removing the exhaust manifold and turbo assembly I found silicone on the gasket and what looked like a bad seal.

Removing the gasket made me a little more relaxed but still curious. I find out when it makes it to the machine shop.

Turbo appears to have sum sludge in it. It will be sent off to see if is any good or not. If it isn't I will probably go with a kit from LCE.

There appears to be some hot spots on the head as well.

Stripping the cab.

Heat/vent control panel has a broken face plate, po mounted a cb clip to the side of the gauge cluster cover, and the dash pad is cracked.

Bench seat needs recovered and the bottom foam repaired/replaced but will be used so our wiener dog Stanley has a comfortable place to sit.

These will be cleaned and reused!

You have yourself a fun project it looks like. I would love to find a motor/trans/ECU/Harness 22ret set. I would build it up and throw it in the old truck. I have an Ecoboost F150 as a DD and have been wildly impressed with the power. Can't wait to see your impressions once it's all freshened up...

Should be a fun truck to drive. The only vehicle I've owned that was impressive on power was my very first $150 pos '67 Buick Wildcat,. It had a 430 4bbl that would really run for the weight of that boat.

A pic of our wheelin' wiener.

First one is from Farmington, MO.
Next one is from Flat Nasty in Jadwin, MO

Last edited:

Windows, headliner and wipers and it'll be ready for damage repair.

Picked up this old cart to modify for mounting the cab to for media blasting. Looks like it may have been an old railroad cart of some kind.

ThIs looks like a neat little project. I read thru most everything and forgive me if I missed it, but is this gonna be a full resto, or a resto-mod type build? It will definitely be a nice truck once it is back together.

Also, on a sidebar, I have a close friend that was diagnosed with the same cirrhosis condition and he has been undergoing his blood letting treatments for a little over a year and they almost have his levels back to a normal range. Good luck with your treatments and wit the project.

Thanks for the well wishes!

I did not specify what the plans are yet in fear of not completing what I want to happen.
More custom than resto:
1) it will remain 4 cylinder turbo. If the 22ret is junk I have a 22r that I will convert.
2) solid front axle. I would prefer to use an fj80 elocker front axle with the Taco rear elocker I picked up.
3) 3 link front and 4 link rear
4) flat bed with roll bar
5) roll cage most likely internal
6) either 4.7 single case or twin stock cases
7) 2 tone blue and white with 2 tone flames
Not sure on tire size yet, 35's minimum.

I would love to buy a new truck but having a really cool old truck for the price of a cheap new car is more my speed. My '84 has been great but the frame is patched in too many places to last much longer. She pulled duble duty for six years and is still used on the trails but I really want a streetable wheeler that I can take anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom