Possible Exploratory Day (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys:
Since we have nothing officially planned for wheeling from the Hoedown in September to Toys for Tots in December, I was thinking it might be a good idea to schedule an exploratory day trip some time in October over to the Redbird State Riding Area. I just checked out the website at redbirdsra.com and it looks pretty interesting...1200 acres with over 25 different trails. It is run by the DNR so there is no wild ass drinking and heathenry like Haspin Acres in Laurel. The pics look pretty cool. I think we owe it to ourselves to do an exploratory trip to this place and see if we might want to include it in our regular annual event schedule as a way to have some more variety. It is only about an hour away. I think Carl has been there before so maybe he might chime in here. So who all would want to join me on something like that...and what dates look good? I think I am pretty much open in October.

I'm very interested, we have talked about trying this for a few years. So yes lets try it, any Sat. in October works for me.

Mark

Did I mention that it only costs $10.00 per day to wheel there.

Here is trail information.

Redbird has 3 types of trails. Easy, More Difficult and Most Difficult. They are divided into Motorcycle only trails, Motorcycle and ATV,UTV only and Multi-use trails (Jeep,ATV and M.C.) NEVER RIDE ABOVE YOUR SKILL LEVEL!!!!!!!!!!!

All the trails have markers at the start that tell what type of trail and the number of that trail, as well as arrows for direction and signs warning of Steep Hills.

Trail conditions are always subject to change due to weather and other factors beyond our control

Trail 1 Has a easy section and a most difficult section, this is a multi-use trail ( atv,suv and m.c.)

Trail 2 This trail is rated more difficult and is multi-use

Trail 3 This trail is rated more diffucult and is multi-use

Trail 4 This trail is rated most difficult and is multi-use (note this trail was named one of the top trails for 2007 by B.F. Goodrich, front and rear lockers a must)

Trail 5 This trail is rated easy and has more difficult sections and is atv and m.c. only

Trail 6 This trail is rated more difficult and is m.c. only

Trail 7 This trail is rated easy and is m.c. only

Trail 8 This trail is rated more difficult and is atv and m.c. only

Trail 9 This trail is rated most difficult and is m.c. only

Trail 10 This trail is rated more difficult and is atv and m.c. only

Trail 11 This trail is rated most difficult and is m.c. only

Trail 12 This trail is rated more difficult and is atv and m.c. only

Trail 13

Trail 14 This trail is rated easy and is multi use

Trail 15

Trail 16

Trail 17

Trail 18

Trail 19

Trail 20

Trail 21 This trail is rated more difficult and is multi use

Trail 22 This trail is rated easy and is atv and m.c.only

Trail 23 This trail is rated most difficult and is atv and m.c. only

Trail 24 This trail is rated more difficult and is atv and m.c. only

Trail 25 This trail is rated easy and is multi use ( note: very senic woods trail, full size vehicles welcome)

Trail 26 This trail is rated more difficult and is multi use

Trail 27 This trail is rated most difficult and is multi use ( note: on par with trail 4 )

Trail 28 This trail is rated more difficult and is atv and m.c.only

Trail 29 This trail is rated easy and is atv and m.c. only ( note this is a very easy grass type track )

Trail 30 This trail is rated more difficult and is m.c. only

The park is located near Dugger IN. Here are Driving directions from Linton IN:

* Heading West out of Linton, Indiana on Highway 54 towards Dugger, IN,
* 2.5 miles West of the Highway 54 - 59 split turn right (North) onto 1500 West. (Approximately 5 miles west of Linton.)
* Traveling North on 1500 West, take your first gravel road to the left (West) or 350 North.
* The Main Entrance is about 1 mile West on 350 North.

I would love to try more stuff. However I work on Saturdays. If given enough advance I might be able to go (get a vacation request in)
I think it would be awesome to have another option close

I will just throw these dates out for consideration. October 17 or October 24. These dates should fall right within the peak fall color season and the park should be beautiful. Which one works for everyone?

Once we get some input on which day works . I will try to get the day off. I'm open.

I will check with my events coordinator and see if she has me booked for anything on those dates, but I should be up for either one.

Mark

OK...for Tony's benefit lets pick a date. How about October 17. We can talk more about this at the Hoedown. Anyone else interested in going?

I might do a fall colors run at the cliffs (camping) one of the later weekends in Oct.

17th is cool with me. The guys down here from Tri-State Jeepers said that it is a good place to wheel but can be a mess if it is wet.

Mark

Well my favorite for fall colors is Mt.McCaslin in Lakewood Wisconsin. I know it's a trip for you Hoosiers but it's a great spot for wheeling and camping. Not only is it in Woody's back yard, Goebs has a place a few miles from there.

Shoot that's close, I'm game!!

Recent newsletter from Redbird Recreation Area

Welcome to the latest edition of the newsletter. Our Christmas in July night ride and camp-out was a big success, the Redbird Foundation was able to donate $500.00 to the Sullivan County Fraternal Order of Police's, Shop with a Cop program. A big thanks goes out to the DNR who helped make this happen with their support and guidance.

We just completed the Labor Day Weekend night ride and camp-out and had a pretty good turnout. The next event is the Halloween night ride and camp-out on Oct. 31st., followed by the last night ride and camp-out of the year on Thanksgiving weekend Nov. 27th,28th and 29th. As always be sure to check the event calender on the front page of the website or in the forums section under upcoming events, for changes or additions.

The DNR will soon be adjusting the hours of operation, due to the declining number of daylight hours remaining. Be sure to check the website for more details and to see when the change occurs.

The DNR has also begun to construct a viewing platform near the rock garden, this will allow users to watch vehicles play on the rocks. There will be a few picnic tables so people can sit and enjoy lunch or a snack or just take a break from the days riding. The Redbird Foundation donated the lumber and the dozer work to get the area ready for use.

One more note, the Redbird Foundation will take part in the first annual Hoosier Outdoor Experience, held at Fort Harrison State Park in Indy. The event will showcase all types of outdoor activities that can be found throughout the Hoosier State. The Redbird Foundation will be displaying different types of vehicles that use the Redbird State Riding Area, and their safe useage. We will have ATV's, UTV's, Motorcycles and Rockcrawlers on display for everyone to see and actually touch and be able to sit on. The Foundation will also have a booth to purchase tee shirts and stickers, remember those purchases are tax deductible as the Foundation is a non for profit group. And all proceeds go back into the riding area. Be sure to stop by and say hello, the event is being held Saturday and Sunday, September the 26th and 27th.

The Foundation is still in the process of setting up shirt and sticker sales on the website, but until then they can be purchased at the gatehouse on a limited basis.

Thanks to all the user groups that have helped make Redbird what it has become, without all the volunteers it would not be possible. Thanks again and hope to see you on the trails!!!!!!!

Hey, does that mean that I can [STRIKE]inappropriately[/STRIKE] actually touch a real life rock crawler? Sweet!!

I got the 17th off work....Now all I need to do is get that 3fe into my cruiser & be ready to rumble!!!!

I got the 17th off work....Now all I need to do is get that 3fe into my cruiser & be ready to rumble!!!!

That's cool dude. Let me know if you need some help. I need to get up there anyway and pick up that bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom